Kindness and compassion

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
asahi

Kindness and compassion

Post by asahi »

I would like to know if anyone here practice lovingkindness meditation ?
Would practice metta bhavana is a must for buddhist ? How practical is it in applying it in our daily life ? I met many buddhists whom are not kind and they are cruels , this appears contradicts to the practice of dhamma . Thoughts ?

:thanks:
No bashing No gossiping
befriend

Re: Kindness and compassion

Post by befriend »

It's good for happiness, and being able to be more curious which helps your mindfulness practice if you are in pain it's good to bring curiosity to it mindfully and with a gentle compassion. The only emotions Buddha had were the 4 brahma viharas so I would say as a Buddhist their defenitely applicable to daily life. Thanks for reminding me. It's a Samatha practice so it's good to do before mindfulness to settle and comfort the mind and keeps negative thoughts out of your meditation. I've noticed it's even more effective when you do it around people such as putting yourself in the person your withs shoes.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

asahi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm ...How practical is it in applying it in our daily life ?...
Metta practice supports your wholesome intentions -- your wholesome intentions directly apply to your actions in daily life (and recall that intention is the basis of kamma). It could even be said that metta practice transforms the heart.
For metta to be applied, it often must be balanced by the fourth brahmavihara, equanimity.
In this regard, you might find this essay by Thanissaro Bhikkhu helpful -- head and heart together.
https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/Head& ... n0011.html
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

asahi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm ...I met many buddhists whom are not kind and they are cruel...
This could be an interesting topic by itself.
There are many reasons one might identify as Buddhist -- so not all Buddhists are sincere.
Even sincere Buddhists must follow a path, people are at different stages on that path -- ill-will takes time to uproot.
More intriguing to consider is if there are some ways that practitioners get caught, or misinterpret, or are out-of-balance, or able to justify cruelty.
It might be helpful if you could give a couple of examples of what you have seen that appears cruel.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
asahi

Post by asahi »

JohnK wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:49 pm
asahi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm ...I met many buddhists whom are not kind and they are cruel...
This could be an interesting topic by itself.
There are many reasons one might identify as Buddhist -- so not all Buddhists are sincere.
Even sincere Buddhists must follow a path, people are at different stages on that path -- ill-will takes time to uproot.
More intriguing to consider is if there are some ways that practitioners get caught, or misinterpret, or are out-of-balance, or able to justify cruelty.
It might be helpful if you could give a couple of examples of what you have seen that appears cruel.

I have a buddhist friend , he always speak of kindness and compassion . He treated friends and anonymous very friendly and polite . But i knew he had beaten his wife many times . Another example is a monastic , once i asked a monk (with polite) whom already has been ordained for 15 years with some dhamma questions , he treated me with angers and scolded me harshly when i try to explain though in disagreement with his explanation and he then ask his disciples to shun me away .
Of course , there were many other similar happenings that i encounter .
No bashing No gossiping
Mohan Gnanathilake

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake »

asahi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm How practical is it in applying it in our daily life ?
In the loving kindness meditation we open our hearts to unconditional love. An unadulterated, deep love that feeds on positive attitudes such as benevolence, kindness and sincere care.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

asahi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm I would like to know if anyone here practice lovingkindness meditation ?
Would practice metta bhavana is a must for buddhist ? How practical is it in applying it in our daily life ? I met many buddhists whom are not kind and they are cruels , this appears contradicts to the practice of dhamma . Thoughts ?

:thanks:
Being Buddhist doesn't make someone kind, application of The Dhamma automatically makes you kind but you have to APPLY the teachings, not just cling onto them as an identity.. so fear not, these Buddhists just have more work to do to let go of the defilements that's all :)

As for metta, for me it is essential, its transformed my life beyond words but I think it depends on your teacher. Metta can be looked down upon due to its seemingly nicey nicey approach, or the unrealistic nature of loving every being... but if guided by a skillful teacher, then ypull see that these things are indeed possible.

:)

Anthony
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate
befriend

Post by befriend »

Brahma viharas on top off increasing kindness also give spiritual unworldly pleasant feeling tone which decreases greed in the mind for sensual pleasures and also diminishes hatred two huge fetters to be abandoned on the path to nibbana.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

befriend wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:18 pm Brahma viharas on top off increasing kindness also give spiritual unworldly pleasant feeling tone which decreases greed in the mind for sensual pleasures and also diminishes hatred two huge fetters to be abandoned on the path to nibbana.
Yes -- these benefits, too.
:anjali:
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

And while we're mentioning benefits:
They help to counter the hindrances, which in turn supports mindfulness and development of the factors of awakening -- not too shabby.
bodom

Post by bodom »

There are many benefits to practicing loving kindness and some have been mentioned already. Here the Buddha gives eleven more:
Loving-Kindness

“Bhikkhus, when the liberation of the mind by loving-kindness has been pursued, developed, and cultivated, made a vehicle and basis, carried out, consolidated, and properly undertaken, eleven benefits are to be expected. What eleven?

(1) “One sleeps well; (2) one awakens happily; (3) one does not have bad dreams; (4) one is pleasing to human beings; (5) one is pleasing to spirits; (6) deities protect one; (7) fire, poison, and weapons do not injure one; (8) one’s mind quickly becomes concentrated; (9) one’s facial complexion is serene; (10) one dies unconfused; and (11) if one does not penetrate further, one fares on to the brahmā world.

“When, bhikkhus, the liberation of the mind by loving- kindness has been repeatedly pursued, developed, and cul-tivated, made a vehicle and basis, carried out, consolidated, and properly undertaken, these eleven benefits are to be expected.”

AN 11.15

Bhikkhu Bodhi translation.
:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Mohan Gnanathilake

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake »

asahi wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:02 pm How practical is it in applying it in our daily life ?
In the loving kindness meditation we combine ourselves with the desire for health, happiness, security and peace. This desire is universal and unites all people in the world.

The loving kindness meditation is a way to connect with yourself in a wonderful way.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)