What are the contradictions in Buddha's teaching?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I like to discuss the contradictions in Buddha's teaching in this thread.
Please share your questions here.
My first question:
It is not possible for an Anagami who enters the Nirodha Samapathi to pass away without emerging from that state.
How this is possible?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Re: What are the contradictions in Buddha's teaching?

Post by asahi »

To my knowledge Buddhists normally wont discuss things that would undermine the Buddha's teachings . I asked question of formless realms prior to this but your question are far deeper . :D
Maybe you will get lucky peoples wont say something like this in reaction to your question , such as , this is beyond comprehension , isnt that now you are in the limitless space , focus or concern on eliminating suffering instead of asking such question wont help you ends suffering , or ask you to provide evidence of sutta before asking any question ! Yeah , attitude !
Or maybe they will be selective and being discriminative . Anyway your question is too deep for me . :D
No bashing No gossiping
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

asahi wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:11 am To my knowledge Buddhists normally wont discuss things that would undermine the Buddha's teachings . I asked question of formless realms prior to this but your question are far deeper . :D
Maybe you will get lucky peoples wont say something like this in reaction to your question , such as , this is beyond comprehension , isnt that now you are in the limitless space , focus or concern on eliminating suffering instead of asking such question wont help you ends suffering , or ask you to provide evidence of sutta before asking any question ! Yeah , attitude !
Or maybe they will be selective and being discriminative . Anyway your question is too deep for me . :D
Agree.
The nature of Aupavacara is strange.
Can the mind arise without Rupa?
If yes, is there Nama-rupa?
Perhaps this is not a contradiction in Buddha's teaching but it is our lack of knowledge of understanding Buddha's teaching.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am What are the contradictions in Buddha's teaching?
I like to discuss the contradictions in Buddha's teaching in this thread.
Please share your questions here.
My first question:
It is not possible for an Anagami who enters the Nirodha Samapathi to pass away without emerging from that state.
How this is possible?
There cannot be contradictions in buddas teachings. If at all it has to be with the followers. Brahmajala sutta explain that there are 62 various ditthis among people.
Samma ditthi sutta explains the proper vision.
asahi

Post by asahi »

As it seems very rare or almost none can be found that someone in leadership admit their fault or flaw . Do you think Buddha himself are Perfect without ever making error , although the meaning of Perfected in buddhism appears different ?

One of the marks of a good leader is that they are happy to admit their own mistakes and limitations, and to correct themselves when needed.
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/wh ... rong/20233
No bashing No gossiping
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

The problem with trying to identify contradictions in the Buddha's teachings is that it puts achieving certain type of logical consistency above all else. While the Buddha would never encourage or teach incoherence, the cognitive dissonance most of us suffer from should not be the main criteria of determining the worth of the Buddha's teachings. Instead, any suspicion of contradiction could be resolved through refining our understanding and aligning it with what the Buddha taught.

Most contradictions appear as a result of trying to resolve the duality of the good vs the true. For example, to what extent one should sacrifice certain truths for the sake of common good and vice versa. Mundane right view encourages a more balanced approach to this duality by putting more emphasis on the pragmatic aspect of truth and less emphasis on its correspondence aspect, keeping coherence intact in the process. The penetrating insight of supramundane right view involves absence of identity view which dissolves cognitive dissonance, the doubt and the mental energy spent for maintaining coherence.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hi:

Could you provide the sutta reference that makes that statement? (That anagamis cant pass away while in nirodha s.)

Regards
SDC

Post by SDC »

You’ll be hard pressed to find anything between suttas that can be thoroughly qualified as a contradiction, but they certainly do contradict the reality of wrong view, the world of ordinary experience. Some people read the suttas and see nothing but contradiction, but that is to be expected since the Dhamma is in the opposite direction from what is ordinary, preferable and comfortable. The entire practice is essentially undermining wrong view on account of right view, so there will always be some degree of contradiction until that is complete.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SDC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:29 pm You’ll be hard pressed to find anything between suttas that can be thoroughly qualified as a contradiction...
MN 64 vs MN 123? SN 12.2 vs DN 15? MN 10 vs MN 118? SN 22.79 vs MN 81?
SarathW wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am What are the contradictions in Buddha's teaching?
Unlikely a Buddha can have contradictions. You appear to be assuming 100% of the suttas are the Buddha's words. This is not a very safe refuge. Its like from dumb to dumber. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SDC

Post by SDC »

DooDoot wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:15 pm
SDC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:29 pm You’ll be hard pressed to find anything between suttas that can be thoroughly qualified as a contradiction...
MN 64 vs MN 123? SN 12.2 vs DN 15? MN 10 vs MN 118? SN 22.79 vs MN 81?
You just gave the Study Group some great options for the coming weeks!
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

SarathW wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am What are the contradictions in Buddha's teaching?...
Here is a take on perceived contradiction based on teaching from Ajahn Chah:
Go Left, Go Right

A Western monk at WatBa Pong became frustrated...he went to Achaan Chah and complained, noting that even Achaan Chah himself was inconsistent and seemed often to contradict him self in an unenlightened way.

Achaan Chah just laughed and pointed out how much the monk was suffering by trying to judge others around him. Then he explained that his way of teaching is very simple: "It is as though I see people walking down a road I know well. To them the way may be unclear. I look up and see someone about to fall into a ditch on the right-hand side of the road, so I call out to him, 'Go left, go left' Similarly, if I see another person about to fall into a ditch on the left, I call out, 'Go right, go right!' That is the extent of my teaching. Whatever extreme you get caught in, whatever you get attached to, I say, 'Let go of that too.' Let go on the left, let go on the right. Come back to the center, and you will arrive at the true Dharma. "
https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books2/Ajah ... e%20Forest
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

There aren't any... there may be a few corrupted suttas that don't tally with the major body of work... but then it's down to your own wisdom & discernment (with guidance) to spot the oddities.