visiting holy sites

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
confusedlayman

visiting holy sites

Post by confusedlayman »

is it necessary to take pilgrimage sites to where buddha born, got enlightened, parinibbana and first sermon ?

today we have google map and street view and YouTube by professional content creators, is it enough to see that?

why buddhism pilgrimage sites are not maintained and dirty roads around? why the towns are not beautiful and well maintained like some monasteries in Japan?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Inedible

Re: visiting holy sites

Post by Inedible »

Impermanence is a big part of the message. Things fall apart. Work quickly and see for yourself while you can, while you have the strength to train.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:15 pm is it necessary to take pilgrimage sites to where buddha born, got enlightened, parinibbana and first sermon ?
It's not required, for example in the way it is one of the Five Pillars of Islam to make pilgrimage. However, it can be considered at least a recommendation, for those that can afford it.
Ananda, there are four places the sight of which will arouse strong emotion in those with faith. Which four? Here the Tathagata (enlightened one) was born, this is the first place. Here the Tathagata attained Enlightenment, this is the second place. Here the Tathagata set in motion the Wheel of the Dhamma, this is the third place. Here the Tathagata attained final Nibbana without remainder, this is the fourth place. The monk or nun, layman or laywoman, who has faith should visit these places. And anyone who dies while making a pilgrimage to these places with a devout heart will, at the breaking up of the body, be reborn in heaven.”
DN 16
today we have google map and street view and YouTube by professional content creators, is it enough to see that?
I don't know if that "counts" but if it arouses faith and inspiration, why not?
why buddhism pilgrimage sites are not maintained and dirty roads around? why the towns are not beautiful and well maintained like some monasteries in Japan?
Most of the pilgrimage sites are in the poorer areas of India. I think Bihar is one of the poorest provinces in India. It is improving though. The Maha Bodhi Temple complex has been undergoing renovations over the last 100 years or so and looks much better than it did in previous centuries. It had been left pretty much to ruins from around the 11th century through the 19th century, but now looks very good.

1800s (above)

Current time
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:15 pm is it necessary to take pilgrimage sites to where buddha born, got enlightened, parinibbana and first sermon ?
It's not necessary but it is really wonderful and does indeed arouse faith and energy.
There's an amazing energy around those places (even though I don't believe in such things I still felt it).

Do I remember correctly that you live just a few train rides away? Or are you Sri Lanka?

When I was in Bihar and Varanasi and Rajgir we read the suttas that were taught in those exact locations, and we also visited all the famous places which are still recognisable even after 2500 years.
I guess Bihar is really poor and the taxes go into someone's corrupt pocket instead of being spent on roads and freshwater and the people.
When I was there I suggested to a Japanese Buddhist, that the Japanese should come and take care of Bodh Gaya, and suddenly there'd be wonderful roads and good water and electricity and medical care, and everything would be absolutely beautiful and clean. We both laughed at the idea. :lol:
robertk

Post by robertk »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:25 am .
When I was there I suggested to a Japanese Buddhist, that the Japanese should come and take care of Bodh Gaya, and suddenly there'd be wonderful roads and good water and electricity and medical care, and everything would be absolutely beautiful and clean. We both laughed at the idea. :lol:
When I was there a running joke was that the Governor of Tokyo visited and said he would turn Bihar into Tokyo in 10 years if he was governor of it.
And the Governor of Bihar said ' that's nothing. He would turn Tokyo into Bihar if he was governor of it'.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:25 am
It's not necessary but it is really wonderful and does indeed arouse faith and energy.
There's an amazing energy around those places (even though I don't believe in such things I still felt it).

Do I remember correctly that you live just a few train rides away? Or are you Sri Lanka?

When I was in Bihar and Varanasi and Rajgir we read the suttas that were taught in those exact locations, and we also visited all the famous places which are still recognisable even after 2500 years.
I guess Bihar is really poor and the taxes go into someone's corrupt pocket instead of being spent on roads and freshwater and the people.
I live in india right now and its just 2.5-3 hours flight away but still why should I go there when I have defilements? I think if defilement mind got activated in holy sites it will be bad karma
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:00 am I live in india right now and its just 2.5-3 hours flight away but still why should I go there when I have defilements? I think if defilement mind got activated in holy sites it will be bad karma
Don't wait until you have no defilements... You might be waiting many lifetimes!
Get a train and go!
If you have defilements when you are there, no worries, just forgive yourself, and continue. No need to have the most spotless pure mind, just have a mind open to the teachings and gradual training.

Being there brings life to the suttas, you can bathe in the exact hot-spring mentioned in the suttas, you can go into the exact cave where the Buddha's disciples slept. You can climb vultures peak and enjoy the breeze and understand why so many monks enjoyed meditating there.
It's good.