Touching the sun and the moon

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Touching the sun and the moon

Post by form »

What do u think is the meaning of this in the sutta?
Lucas Oliveira

Re: Touching the sun and the moon

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Spiritual Reality - Part 5 Astral Body and Astral Travel

Spiritual Reality - Journey Within
https://www.dharmapaths.com/viewtopic.php?p=11596

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
form

Post by form »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 pm Spiritual Reality - Part 5 Astral Body and Astral Travel

Spiritual Reality - Journey Within
https://www.dharmapaths.com/viewtopic.php?p=11596

What do u mean?

I always wonder when the sutta mean when I saw stroking the sun and the moon when one was charged with psychic power.

Now we know about the solar system and moon circulating round our planet. And why sun and moon appear as they are to us. So how do one stroke the sun and the moon?
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

• iddhi
    Psychic powers
    abhijñā
    Supranormal powers
    potency
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ṛddhi

imo, just internal creations by an ultra-potent mind, not necessarily devoid of external impacts.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
form

Post by form »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:58 pm
  • iddhi
    Psychic powers
    abhijñā
    Supranormal powers
    potency
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ṛddhi

imo, just internal creations by an ultra-potent mind, not necessarily devoid of external impacts.

:heart:
I happen to see the explanation of this as a metaphor from a Brahminic point of view in a Chinese utube channel just now.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

imo, it can also convey literal meaning, within the domain of conventional/contextual reality.
  • Enumerations of special knowledges Edit
    In the Pali Canon, the higher knowledges are often enumerated in a group of six or of three types of knowledge.

The six types of higher knowledges (chalabhiññā) are:

"Higher powers" (iddhi-vidhā), such as walking on water and through walls;
    "Divine ear" (dibba-sota), that is, clairaudience;
    "Mind-penetrating knowledge" (ceto-pariya-ñāṇa), that is, telepathy;
    "Remember one's former abodes" (pubbe-nivāsanussati), causal memory, that is, recalling one's own past lives;
    "Divine eye" (dibba-cakkhu), that is, knowing others' karmic destinations; and,
    "Extinction of mental intoxicants" (āsavakkhaya), upon which arahantship follows.[7]
    The attainment of these six higher powers is mentioned in a number of discourses, most famously the "Fruits of Contemplative Life Discourse" (Samaññaphala Sutta, DN 2).[8] The attainment of the four jhanas is considered to be a prerequisite for the attainment of the higher powers.[5] The sixth type is the ultimate goal of Buddhism, which is the end of all suffering and destruction of all ignorance.[9] According to the Buddha, indulgence in the abhiññās should be avoided, as they can distract from the ultimate goal of Enlightenment.[4]

Similarly, the three knowledges or wisdoms (tevijja or tivijja) are:

"Remember one's former abodes" (pubbe-nivāsanussati);
    "Divine eye" (dibba-cakkhu); and,
    "Extinction of mental intoxicants" (āsavakkhaya).[10]
    The three knowledges are mentioned in numerous discourses including the Maha-Saccaka Sutta (MN 36) in which the Buddha describes obtaining each of these three knowledges on the first, second and third watches respectively of the night of his enlightenment. These forms of knowledge typically are listed as arising after the attainment of the fourth jhana.[11]

While such powers are considered to be indicative of spiritual progress, Buddhism cautions against their indulgence or exhibition since such could divert one from the true path of obtaining suffering's release.[9]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhijñā
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

form wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:58 pm
What do u mean?

I always wonder when the sutta mean when I saw stroking the sun and the moon when one was charged with psychic power.

Now we know about the solar system and moon circulating round our planet. And why sun and moon appear as they are to us. So how do one stroke the sun and the moon?
Astral Body and Astral Travel is just one more example of how it is possible to touch the Sun or the Moon.

In the Suttas there are many examples of the Buddha and his disciples disappearing from this world and going to other worlds with their bodies and minds. and coming back of course.
But in the Suttas there are many examples of Budda and his disciples disappearing from this world and going to another world, with their bodies and minds.

Then, taking Ven. Nanda by the arm — as a strong man might flex his extended arm or extend his flexed arm — the Blessed One disappeared from Jeta's Grove and reappeared among the devas of the heaven of the Thirty-three [Tāvatiṃsa]. Now on that occasion about 500 dove-footed nymphs had come to wait upon Sakka, the ruler of the devas. The Blessed One said to Ven. Nanda, "Nanda, do you see these 500 dove-footed nymphs?"

"Yes, lord."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
I mentioned astral travel because it is easier ..
The Spirits’ Book - Allan Kardec
Chapter VIII – The Emancipation of the Soul
Sleep and Dreams

400. Does an incarnate spirit willingly stay in its corporeal envelope?

“That is like asking if a prisoner is happy being under lock and key. An incarnate spirit constantly aspires to freedom. The denser the envelope, the more it wants to be free of it.”

401. During sleep does the soul rest like the body?

“No, a spirit never remains inactive. During sleep, the bonds that join it to the body are loosened, and since the body does not need it while sleeping, the spirit travels through space and enters into a more direct relationship with other spirits.”

viewtopic.php?p=608206#p608206
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

I'm sorry but I have no clue what it means. It probably means that the earth is flat. Rddhi is a fascinating subject. Multiplying oneself. Becoming many becoming an army. Transformation is called creating a magical body or shape shifting. Going through solid objects. Flying. Etc
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I think they can touch real moon and sun with real hand but dont get burned and this is done when one is outside jhana as inside jhana one is absorbed and no thinking possible in 4th jhana..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Better don't waste your time pondering the unthinkable (since you haven't gain the Iddhi powers).

But to understand the concept, Visuddhimagga gave a good explanation on it.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ontheway wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:50 pm Better don't waste your time pondering the unthinkable (since you haven't gain the Iddhi powers).

But to understand the concept, Visuddhimagga gave a good explanation on it.
true
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
bkmudita

Post by bkmudita »

form wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm What do u think is the meaning of this in the sutta?
Not the sun and moon in this realm, from another dimension, the space dimension, akasha. touch not by hand, by consciousness in waves. it is a psychic power.
Last edited by bkmudita on Sat May 28, 2022 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
form

Post by form »

I figure out that it is just a ancient idiom. Sun and moon means brightness. And you all know what brightness means in Buddhism.
frank k

Post by frank k »

form wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:38 pm What do u think is the meaning of this in the sutta?
With a divine eye, one can see anywhere one wishes, and through astral travel with mind made body one could get an accurate real time close up view of the sun and the moon and 'touch' with the astral hand.

I don't know about the meditator's physical body though, what the limits of that are. There are cases of yogis levitating, even to altitudes where fighter jets see them.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
form

Post by form »

frank k wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:49 am
With a divine eye, one can see anywhere one wishes, and through astral travel with mind made body one could get an accurate real time close up view of the sun and the moon and 'touch' with the astral hand.

I don't know about the meditator's physical body though, what the limits of that are. There are cases of yogis levitating, even to altitudes where fighter jets see them.
Actually i am not sure such supernormal powers are real. I do not think the people in the suttas know the earth is round.