Work hard play hard

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

Work hard play hard

Post by befriend »

Is part of the reason monks don't work because it would create some kind of tiredness and need for hedonism. I know a lot of people who work hard all week need to kick back and relax with a six pack or smoke pot to relax.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Work hard play hard

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

• 'Work' would be a source of much palibodha (outer impediments) on the path.
:heart:

=========================
edited (added):

Mettāsutta
  • What should be done by one skilful in good, who has comprehended the state of peace:
    • he ought to be ... easy to support, free from duties, and light in living,

vism ... outer impediments (palibodha)
  • After establishing a foundation of purified morality, the aspirant to meditation is advised to cut off any outer impediments (palibodha) that may hinder his efforts to lead a contemplative life. These impediments are numbered as ten: a dwelling, which becomes an impediment for those who allow their minds to become preoccupied with its upkeep or with its appurtenances; a family of relatives or supporters with whom the aspirant may become emotionally involved in ways that hinder his progress; gains, which may bind the monk by obligation to those who offer them; a class of students who must be instructed; building work, which demands time and attention; travel; kin, meaning parents, teachers, pupils or close friends; illness; the study of scriptures; and supernormal powers, which are an impediment to insight (Vism.90-97; PP.91-98).
    https://www.saigon.com/anson/ebud/jhanas/jhanas02.htm
Last edited by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

I have seen monks do morning walking, and doing morning chores.
Deleted
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

befriend wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:38 am Is part of the reason monks don't work because it would create some kind of tiredness and need for hedonism. I know a lot of people who work hard all week need to kick back and relax with a six-pack or smoke pot to relax.
Actually, monks (perhaps except forest monks) spent a lot of time on community work. As someone noted, he said his temple is like a community center. I think there are some experienced people here and they can share a bit more on this.
The problem is not the work but your attitude towards that. Sometimes you have difficult customers and work colleges but it is no different in a temple I suppose.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:38 am I have seen monks do morning walking, and doing morning chores.
I have a pirivena ( damma school) in the temple near me. They are residents in the temple and works in a daily routine. They even clean up the temple area and have specified times for stydies, meals etc. They also have a time to rest and loitre at will.
Evenings are mostly spent to learn chanting paritta.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

justindesilva wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:49 am
Dhammavamsa wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:38 am I have seen monks do morning walking, and doing morning chores.
I have a pirivena ( damma school) in the temple near me. They are residents in the temple and works in a daily routine. They even clean up the temple area and have specified times for stydies, meals etc. They also have a time to rest and loitre at will.
Evenings are mostly spent to learn chanting paritta.
Theruwan saranai :anjali:

The monks in Sri Lanka, may I know how many sect are there?

Is Vetulya doctrine still exists in Sri Lanka?
Deleted
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:55 am Is Vetulya doctrine still exists in Sri Lanka?
It exists only in the sense that a small number of individual Sri Lankans have converted to Zen, Vajrayana, Soka Gakkai, etc. But not in the sense that the Vetulyavāda of ancient times has survived unbroken to the present day. The heresy was extirpated centuries ago.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:29 am
Dhammavamsa wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:55 am Is Vetulya doctrine still exists in Sri Lanka?
It exists only in the sense that a small number of individual Sri Lankans have converted to Zen, Vajrayana, Soka Gakkai, etc. But not in the sense that the Vetulyavāda of ancient times has survived unbroken to the present day. The heresy was extirpated centuries ago.
Thank you Bhante for the information.
Deleted
Jacob.B

Post by Jacob.B »

In the monastery where I study there is plenty of work outside of the occasional ceremony that needs to be performed, especially due to the pandemic and the resulting diminishing lay support with the lockdowns.

There is upkeep of the grounds, repair, maintenance, and cleaning of the communal facilities, projects to improve the monastery and make it a more fitting place to practice the Dhamma.

Still, this is not overwhelming as there is plenty of time afforded to practice and study, as well as time for asking for guidance and advice relating to practice and study.

With Metta,
Jacob
Annatar

Post by Annatar »

befriend wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:38 am I know a lot of people who work hard all week need to kick back and relax with a six pack or smoke pot to relax.
Many people who work hard all week do not require a six pack or smoke pot to relax.
Might is be that the postulated "need" would be more accurately described as a choice?

With metta,
Annatar