Condensing buddhism to friends or relatives

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

Re: Condensing buddhism to friends or relatives

Post by befriend »

Buddhism teaches that you are your own savior. I'd add that. The goal is non conditional well being. and it's a difficult path. Being a lay Buddhist is hard for me atleast. monks are so respected because it's such difficult work to do.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

I agree with much of the above. I think buddhism is both a philosophy (for anyone) and a religion (without a god). It's a practice of morality where generosity and benevolence are encouraged, it's also a spiritual life in which the practice of meditation is very important and it's also a practice of questioning, observing and learning about suffering, its cause, that breaking free from it is possible and about what to do towards this goal as taught by the Enlightened One, who found the truth about our human experience and shared it for our own benefit. So buddhists seek to find a steady peace that is beyond happiness. They practise doing good and refraining from bad, they are dedicated to purify the mind and they seek to awaken to a reality that is liberating from all burden of even the subtlest experience of suffering.
anagaarika wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:52 am ... it is a huge luxury keeping your inner life as obscure as possible for those around you, even close family. As you correctly noted, if others know about your practice, it can become object of casual conversations. I would feel rather uncomfortable explaining certain things in that context - dhamma is something very precious and subtle and it just doesn´t feel right discussing it in certain situations. I tend to be rather cautious about this and so far have told only a few good friends and my sister, not even my parents. I wonder what you and others have to say about this...
Your inner life should be light, bright and clear for you and anyone around you. If you feel there are things that are better kept secret it means you should consider them again. I think you don't have to declare yourself to be anything but people around you could benefit from your explanations of the dhamma if you manage to expound them simply and clearly and rightly for them. If you can't find a comfortable explanation for others it means you have to learn more about what you know and what you believe. IMO.
Last edited by mjaviem on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

there is a peaceful alternative dimension

without stress of any kind, forever
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

instead of saying that, I just advocate right view
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Zenny

Post by Zenny »

I would explain at its best buddhism is a method,a practice of Meditation that leads to happiness.
A method that with Your personal effort can eliminate mind chatter and make you more Focused and efficient in everything you do.
Non buddhist Zen Practitioner.
Focus!
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Like above comment, I think the standard Pali stanza with translation will do the job.

"Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā;
Sacitta pariyo dapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ“

(Dhammapada verse 183)

The rest is on whether he or she want to know more or not. If he/she wanted to know more, he/she will search for the details. Nowadays we got Google.
Deleted
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

It all depends on the person asking, doesn't it? I usually try to figure out what would be the best way in for that person, and how genuinely they want to know. If I don't think they're that interested I tell them the benefits it has brought me, rather than any of the teachings. Maybe it'll intrigue them enough...

Although 'there is suffering' isn't a good way in, I have found that most people can agree with 'everything is unsatisfactory' when you explain that we always just want more of the good things, less of the bad things, and get bored with things that are neither. Not to speak of the body continuously being dissatisfied with position, energy level, warmth/cold, etc. Trying to point out that it isn't about denial of pleasure, but the problems that come with the pursuit of it. If I can help someone to see how unsatisfactory pretty much every moment is, but they are still 'allowed' to be (and to want to be) happy, I consider it a job well done. As that is the main misconception people walk around with.