Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma as a part of doctrine to be considered as Theravada?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Coëmgenu

Re: Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma as a part of doctrine to be considered as Theravada?

Post by Coëmgenu »

Here it is, complete with a useless broken citation that leads to nothing, so I didn't include it:
The anatta concept has been a subject of intense debate in Thailand, dating as far back as 1939, when the 12th Supreme Patriarch of Thailand published a book arguing that Nirvana was the "true-self".
I was wrong about the 80s. Does anyone know anything about this? Supposedly, the Thai State Samgha has a regularized curriculum of learning that would ideally prevent things like this from happening, especially with the Supreme Patriarch/Samgharaja.

The new date would mean that the supposed author was Ven Ariyavongsagatanana III.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
mikenz66

Re: Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma as a part of doctrine to be considered as Theravada?

Post by mikenz66 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:28 pm I used to be you.
Reading this sentence, I can't help thinking of this, and related suttas...
“Mendicants, transmigration has no known beginning.
No first point is found of sentient beings roaming and transmigrating, hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving.
When you see someone in a sorry state, in distress, you should conclude:
‘In all this long time, we too have undergone the same thing.’
https://suttacentral.net/sn15.11/en/sujato
:heart:
Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:19 pm
No first point is found of sentient beings roaming and transmigrating, hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving.
Mike
:goodpost:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

mikenz66 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:19 pm
Mike
I'm still not paying his bills for him.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

:rofl:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think the easiest to understand in Abhidhamma Pitaka is the Points of controversy.
What is your favorite out of these seven books?

https://suttacentral.net/pitaka/abhidhamma/pli-tv-ab
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:29 am I think the easiest to understand in Abhidhamma Pitaka is the Points of controversy.

Kathavathu is my favourite too in Abhidhamma Pitaka so far. Plus, it was clearly stated that it was expounded by Bhante Arahant Moggaliputta Tissa Thera to put down the heresies of Sarvastivada, Mahasanghika and Vajjiputtaka sects. It is quite a important book. And through his disciple, Bhante Arahant Mahinda Thera brought the Pali Tipitaka to Lankadipa, well examined, well analysed and well taught by the Arahantas, from this it further increases my confidence in the Suttas and their commentaries.
Deleted
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:41 am
SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:29 am I think the easiest to understand in Abhidhamma Pitaka is the Points of controversy.

Kathavathu is my favourite too in Abhidhamma Pitaka so far. Plus, it was clearly stated that , it was expounded by Bhante Arahant Moggaliputta Tissa Thera to put down the heresies of SarvastivadaMahasanghika and Vajjiputtaka sects. It is quite a important book. And through his disciple, Bhante Arahant Mahinda Thera brought the Pali Tipitaka to Lankadipa, well examined, well analysed and well taught by the Arahantas, from this it further increases my confidence in the Suttas and their commentaries.
Bhante Arahant Moggaliputta
Which year (BC )he was alive?
asahi

Post by asahi »

It appear that according to abhidhamma pitaka , isnt that the Theravadin are also called the Suttanta ?
No bashing No gossiping
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:57 am
Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:41 am

Kathavathu is my favourite too in Abhidhamma Pitaka so far. Plus, it was clearly stated that , it was expounded by Bhante Arahant Moggaliputta Tissa Thera to put down the heresies of SarvastivadaMahasanghika and Vajjiputtaka sects. It is quite a important book. And through his disciple, Bhante Arahant Mahinda Thera brought the Pali Tipitaka to Lankadipa, well examined, well analysed and well taught by the Arahantas, from this it further increases my confidence in the Suttas and their commentaries.
Bhante Arahant Moggaliputta
Which year (BC )he was alive?
During the reign of Asoka King. Details I think can refer to Mahavamsa or culavamsa. Maybe Wikipedia will help.
Deleted
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:10 am Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma a part of the doctrine to be considered as Theravada?
What if a particular Buddhist sect does not accept Abhidhamma as authoritative and reject accepting or teaching it.
It's quite possible that they would not be regarded as Theravada by quite a few people.

On the other hand... do you regard Mahayana or Tantric teachings as Buddhism or as Buddha Dhamma?

The Abhidhamma has a similar background story to Mahayana and Tantric treatises.

Are their fairy stories about how the teachings were transmitted to be believed? And if not... why should the Abhidhamma be considered any different?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

BrokenBones wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:54 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:10 am Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma a part of the doctrine to be considered as Theravada?
What if a particular Buddhist sect does not accept Abhidhamma as authoritative and reject accepting or teaching it.
It's quite possible that they would not be regarded as Theravada by quite a few people.

On the other hand... do you regard Mahayana or Tantric teachings as Buddhism or as Buddha Dhamma?
To me, they are half cast Buddhism like secular Buddhism.

The Abhidhamma has a similar background story to Mahayana and Tantric treatises.
In what sense. Unless you can prove Abhidhamma's teaching is against Sutta and Vinaya pitaka.

Are their fairy stories about how the teachings were transmitted to be believed? And if not... why should the Abhidhamma be considered any different?
My concern is the authoritative monks are restricting the right to learn and make up your own mind.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:31 am
BrokenBones wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:54 am

To me, they are half cast Buddhism like secular Buddhism.

In what sense. Unless you can prove Abhidhamma's teaching is against Sutta and Vinaya pitaka.

My concern is the authoritative monks are restricting the right to learn and make up your own mind.
I really don't understand where you're getting this from. No one is restricting anybody from anything. There are hundreds/thousands of monks who will teach Abhidhamma if anyone wants to listen.

I think you're trying to create a problem where one doesn't exist.

If a particular monk doesn't buy into the Abhidhamma and won't teach it... go to one who will.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If a particular monk doesn't buy into the Abhidhamma and won't teach it... go to one who will.
Agree.
Before you become a monk know about your teacher and the linage.
However, a person can be ordained with a Theravada teacher thinking that his/her teacher respects Tipitaka.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:27 am
Agree.
Before you become a monk know about your teacher and the linage.
However, a person can be ordained with a Theravada teacher thinking that his/her teacher respects Tipitaka.
During my times as a Samanera in a Sri Lankan temple, I remember someone from Sri Lanka said "because of the commentaries, Sri Lanka now don't have Arahants." Personally I think the statement wasn't all true, we can't blame others for our negligence and laziness.

Since you're a Sinhalese, may I know what is the reception of Abhidhamma and canonical commentaries among the common Sri Lankan Buddhists?
Deleted