Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma as a part of doctrine to be considered as Theravada?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma as a part of doctrine to be considered as Theravada?

Post by SarathW »

Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma a part of the doctrine to be considered as Theravada?
What if a particular Buddhist sect does not accept Abhidhamma as authoritative and reject accepting or teaching it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Re: Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma as a part of doctrine to be considered as Theravada?

Post by DooDoot »

Abhidhamma is not authoritative because:

1. Not spoken by Buddha

2. Contradicts suttas

A inquiring person would ask: "How did Abhidhamma become part of scripture?" "Who had the power to include it in scripture?" :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
JamesTheGiant

Re: Is it compulsory to accept Abhidhamma as a part of doctrine to be considered as Theravada?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Do you mean is it necessary to accept Abhidhamma as the literal secret teaching
to the gods and Sariputta, from the Buddha's own mouth?
Or as a teaching which originated as elaboration and interpretation of the suttas, a few hundred years after the Buddha passed away?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The question is what is the technical description of Theravada irrespective of the validity of Abhidhamma.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:43 am Abhidhamma is not authoritative because:

1. Not spoken by Buddha

2. Contradicts suttas

A inquiring person would ask: "How did Abhidhamma become part of scripture?" "Who had the power to include it in scripture?" :shrug:
I don't know who spoke Abhidhamma but I do not agree on it contradicts Sutta.
Again this is off-topic.
:focus:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,
SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:20 am I don't know who spoke Abhidhamma but I do not agree on it contradicts Sutta.
Again this is off-topic.
Actually, no... it's not.

I would think that a Theravadin should value the Buddha's word over anyone else, but then, some seem to prefer sectarian "literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples" to the Buddha's teaching.

What are you going to do about it? :shrug:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

My question is what is the definition of Theravada.
Please stay on the topic.
:tongue:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:44 am My question is what is the definition of Theravada.
You're missing the point. The Suttas themselves tell us to disregard the Abhidhamma - the Simsapa Sutta, the Ani Sutta, the Mahaparinibbana Sutta, the Abhasita Sutta etc. all do.

So if you "accept Abhidhamma", you don't really accept the Suttas, do you?

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Did I ask such a difficult question here?
If Abhidhamma is not part of the teaching would that be considered Theravada?
:mrgreen:
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

There are historical examples of some early Theravadins rejecting Abhidhamma, who were still considered Theravadins by others.

But I have no idea from where to quote info about it.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dweller wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:48 am There are historical examples of some early Theravadins rejecting Abhidhamma, who were still considered Theravadins by others.

Thanks, I am not concern about the history.
What are we called Theravada today and whether it is necessary for Abhidhamma to be part of it?
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Dweller wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:48 am There are historical examples of some early Theravadins rejecting Abhidhamma, who were still considered Theravadins by others.

See section 3.2.3 of the paper:

DIVERGENT DOCTRINAL INTERPRETATIONS ON THE NATURE OF MIND AND MATTER IN THERAVĀDA ABHIDHAMMA: A STUDY MAINLY BASED ON THE PĀLI AND SIṂHALA BUDDHIST EXEGETICAL LITERATURE
PILASSE CHANDARATANA

https://hub.hku.hk/bitstream/10722/1823 ... llText.pdf (requires name and e-mail)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I can't imagine that there is none in this Theravada Forum who knows what Theravada means!
:rolleye:
robertk

Post by robertk »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:46 am Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:44 am My question is what is the definition of Theravada.
You're missing the point. The Suttas themselves tell us to disregard the Abhidhamma - the Simsapa Sutta, the Ani Sutta, the Mahaparinibbana Sutta, the Abhasita Sutta etc. all do.

So if you "accept Abhidhamma", you don't really accept the Suttas, do you?

Metta,
Then should someone who accepts Abhidhamma be considered outside Theravada.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Thera = elder
Vada = school
So it was a sectarian school .
By the time this name appear it became a sub school of the main three . Pre sectarian do not have school name yet . Traditionally Theravada today are regards synonym with the first Theravada school when the splitting happened . However , abhidhamma pitaka came much later after the splitting happening into three main schools . Therefore , modern Theravada and the earliest ancient Theravada are not the same . Abhidhamma do have their merits but it does more confusions to us then clarity that it could bring us . Why then attach yourself to name and label ? What you wants is properly understanding of the dhamma .
What one should consider and concern , is , are you 《outside of the dhamma-vada》!

:namaste:
No bashing No gossiping