Is a glimpse of nirvana a second of a sensation that make you feel very calm?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
user99

Is a glimpse of nirvana a second of a sensation that make you feel very calm?

Post by user99 »

:thinking:
JamesTheGiant

Re: Is a glimpse of nirvana a second of a sensation that make you feel very calm?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Not really. That would be a second of samadhi I guess.
SarathW

Re: Is a glimpse of nirvana a second of a sensation that make you feel very calm?

Post by SarathW »

Yes. Provided you have the right view.
You can experience a one second of Nibbana.
If you experience it 24x7 you have become an Arahant.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

The cessation of experience or "sensations" is peaceful precisely because of the absence of sensations.
Walk into a quiet temple, church, cave or building and that experience of silence and peace is a foretaste.
I have heard that on one occasion Ven. Sariputta was staying near Rajagaha in the Bamboo Grove, the Squirrels' Feeding Sanctuary. There he said to the monks, "This Unbinding is pleasant, friends. This Unbinding is pleasant."

When this was said, Ven. Udayin said to Ven. Sariputta, "But what is the pleasure here, my friend, where there is nothing felt?"

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

"The ear is burning, sounds are burning...

"The nose is burning, odors are burning...

"The tongue is burning, flavors are burning...

"The body is burning, tangibles are burning...

"The mind is burning

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

user99 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 pm:thinking:
I think nirvana is giving up of activity of mind and body because u know everything is automatic and there is no one to do anything.. its more like understanding that results in non fabrication and non activity based of non ignorance of self view

It may lead to contentness due to understanding but that feeling is not nibbana
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am
I think nirvana is giving up of activity of mind and body because u know everything is automatic and there is no one to do anything.. its more like understanding that results in non fabrication and non activity based of ignorance of self view
This is wrong view.
Buddha knows what is good and bad action are.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:25 am
confusedlayman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 am
I think nirvana is giving up of activity of mind and body because u know everything is automatic and there is no one to do anything.. its more like understanding that results in non fabrication and non activity based of ignorance of self view
This is wrong view.
Buddha knows what is good and bad action are.
Action done via ignorance and action done without karma residue see the last line
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Alino

Post by Alino »

Glimpse of Nibbana provides us with direct knowledge and wisdom. This knowledge and wisdom provides us with dispassion and freedom from agregates.

As I understand:
Wisdom of Sottapana is about glimpsed the truth of anicca, dukkha, anatta of agregates.
Wisdom of Anagami is about experiancing these truth of anicca, dukkha, anatta.
Wisdom of Arahant is about being (embodiment of) these anicca, dukkha, anatta.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
user99

Post by user99 »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 am Yes. Provided you have the right view.
You can experience a one second of Nibbana.
If you experience it 24x7 you have become an Arahant.
What is right wiew?