Animal born without notion of self !

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mjaviem

Re: Animal born without notion of self !

Post by mjaviem »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 pm There is no sutta addressing self-view in animals (prove me wrong, but I can think of nothing in the Suttas). That is likely because animals don't have the capacity to be aware of a self-view. That doesn't mean they don't have a relative sense of self. This is one of many reasons why animals cannot do much to spiritually progress-- the human realm is better.
I doubt there are teachings about the experience of animals. and I think one can have a self view without being aware of it. To me a sense of self is the same as a self view/understanding. And my point/speculation was that some animals probably also suffer from clinging.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Nicolas

Re: Animal born without notion of self !

Post by Nicolas »

chownah wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:35 am I think that the buddha said that human babies when born do not have a notion of self but that they have the latent tendency to develop that notion.
Mahāmālukya Sutta (MN 64) wrote: A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘identity,’ so how could identity view arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to identity view lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘teachings,’ so how could doubt about the teachings arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to doubt lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘rules,’ so how could adherence to rules and observances arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to adhere to rules and observances lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘sensual pleasures,’ so how could sensual desire arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to sensual lust lies within him. A young tender infant lying prone does not even have the notion ‘beings,’ so how could ill will towards beings arise in him? Yet the underlying tendency to ill will lies within him. Would not the wanderers of other sects confute you with this simile of the infant?