Long version of Metta Chanting

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dharmacorps

Long version of Metta Chanting

Post by dharmacorps »

Hello all,
I was recently listening to a talk by Thanissaro Bhikkhu, and he mentioned that Ajahn Mun had taught some students a long version of the karaniya Metta sutta chant (or rather, perhaps a long metta chant, in addition to the sutta) that was long, and about 30-40 minutes to chant the whole thing (KM sutta takes about 3 mins). I'm looking for a link or text of this (if not Ajahn Mun's actual version, something similar). This was particularly for students of Ajahn Mun who struggled with ill will. I've tried searching for such a chant for when I have attacks of ill will :tongue: Supposedly the chant includes good will across many directions (North, south, etc etc) and many realms (nagas, petas, etc). Anyone have any leads on this?
Ontheway

Re: Long version of Metta Chanting

Post by Ontheway »

The name is คาถามหาเมตตาหลวง (Gatha Maha Metta Luang).

This (starts at 01:33):

Actually this is a modified version (omitted certain Pāli words), can be traced back to the original version found in Patisambhidāmagga, translated by Bhikkhu Nanamoli (can be found on page 317 onwards in the book)

This version is quite famous on internet (and Southeast Asia countries too, I think).

Basically is the same thing.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thank you for the helpful information. It's often hard to figure out where some of these chants are from.

:heart:
Mike
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Thank you very much from me as well! :anjali: