Our relationship to entertainment as lay people

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Samvega86

Our relationship to entertainment as lay people

Post by Samvega86 »

I’ve been considering for a while now the difficulty navigating my relationship with entertainment as a lay practitioner. On the one hand, the literary works of people such as Tolkien and movies such as Star Wars have enriched my life. Anyone familiar with the work of Jung or even Yuval Noah Harari can understanding why we are drawn to myth/storytelling and the archetypal concepts these represent.

On the other hand, if one were to believe the metaphysical aspects of the Buddha’s teaching, indulging in fiction/entertainment is an impediment to progress on the path.

I appreciate the Buddha did not have this as one of the five precepts for good reason, but certainly one can listen to certain monastics (such as Ven. Nyanamoli) and come away feeling that engaging with these kind of sense pleasures is simply another hindrance towards realising the Dhamma. I can see both why some feel Buddhism can be life-denying in its dismissal of the value of such things.

So I would like to ask how others who, like myself, appreciate many of the art forms that enrich our culture have been able to resolve this within themselves? I suppose that, if one were to truly have faith in the Dhamma then one would work towards renouncing all entertainment. To not do so almost feels like we’re resigned to a more secular form of Theravada in which the metaphysical aspects of the teachings are less emphasised or outright ignored in favour of focusing on the path as being only relevant to this life and whatever suffering can be avoided/alleviated on that level.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Dhamma Chameleon

Re: Our relationship to entertainment as lay people

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Hi Samvega, I've been pondering this too. My own take: as a layperson I do not need to aspire to all the standards of monastics (though some I do). It is ok to enjoy sense pleasures, the real problem is craving and attachment. There is a difference between entertainment that is designed to elicit/strengthen craving (most pop and mass art) and art that is an expression of somebody's experience or message. These elicit very different responses in me. The art that I value most makes me think deeply, appreciate the dhamma and feel compassion. It does not make me want to own or be something, so I think that's wholesome enough.

So like all of lay practice it's a delicate balancing act of knowing your intention and watching whether the effects are in line with the intention. Also, devas that delight in creation, and devas that delight in the creations of others, are both very high up in the Buddhist cosmology! There are far worse mindstates to dwell in. If I'm delighting in creation, I'm not consumed by less wholesome states in mind, so that's ok by me too.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

I think different people will aim for different aspiration and different pace for development.

Some people can forsake everything and enter the monkhood. But some remained as laypeople, while enjoying sensual pleasure, still develop themselves in a slower pace. There are many examples in the Suttas: Anathapindika the millionaire, Visakha lady, Citta householder, Jivaka the physician, Bodhirajakumara the prince, Nakulamata the wise lady etc.

I think I am similar to your situation. I am still enjoying in learning cultures and languages of different countries. So far, besides English, I know Thai language, Japanese language (up to N2 level), Chinese Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay and some basics of Korean. And I hope to learn Russian language too. I'm still enjoying travel and delicious food (might want to start to YouTube after covid19 is done). I'm still work in a company, being active in stock market investment and crypto (but recently the market kinda down).

But I did not really make them as a hindrance to my practice like observing 5 precepts daily, 8 precepts occasionally, reading Suttas and Dhamma books, chanting, meditation, being good and moral to others, doing Sangha Dana and Buddha Puja, listen to sermon, donate to the needy etc. I divide my time to do what need to be done.

As long as our hobby doesn't involved in practices of wrong livelihood, then it is okay within the scope of being lay follower.
Deleted
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

As well as focusing on what we should be doing in this respect of enjoying art, I find it useful to reflect on what has actually happened in my own case.

I used to read loads of novels and poetry, greatly enjoyed music, and also was interested in visual arts. Over the years, my tastes in these have gradually become less eclectic, in ways that seem to fit in with dhamma practice and meditation. I have become less interested in sensation for its own sake, less interested in entertainment as 'pastime', and more drawn towards art that has some strong ethical or metaphysical component. I find myself much more able to forgo entertainment without "withdrawal symptoms" like boredom or curiosity, and able to "see through" how entertainments work upon me.

So my advice here is to keep practising, don't make a strong commitment to give up entertainment, but just watch what happens.
Alino

Post by Alino »

I used to do graffiti, dancing, clubs, sport, news etc... But as Sam Vara said, by practicing and learning more about Dhamma mind start to see drawbacks of sensuality and naturally let it go, become dispationate and free from it.

If to this réalisation of différent drawbacks you add pleasure and hapiness born from meditative composure of mind - there will be less and less need for sense stimulations and wordly matters. Just because you will be happy and experiencing deep pleasure just by calming your mind. At this point more you will be calm more happy you will be, so volitional sensual stimulation becomes hindrance to your happiness.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The layperson is expected to be free from entertainment is only once a month in Uposatha days.
However, I spend very little time entertaining myself nowadays.
My entertainment is discussing Dhamma. :D
I undertake [to observe] the rule of abstinence from dancing, music, visiting shows, flowers, make-up, the wearing of ornaments and decorations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_precepts
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”