Need help to keep the 6th precept.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cappuccino

Re: Need help to keep the 6th precept.

Post by cappuccino »

If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, that would be conforming with those brahmans & contemplatives who are exponents of annihilationism.

:quote:

Ananda Sutta
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

In this sense, Buddha is still refer to the teaching of Anatta and dismissing the extreme of annihilation (and nihilism). That is why Buddha remained silence. So the context here is correct.

While the "There is no Self" English translation for Anatta cannot bring out the full context of it.
Deleted
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:14 pm While the "There is no Self" English translation for Anatta cannot bring out the full context of it.
the translation is correct

you do not fully understand
Coaching
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Up to you. I just saying my opinion.
For me it is clear that in Ananda Sutta, Buddha chose to remained silence because both "There is a Self" or "There is no Self" phrase are misleading, partake of wrong view, lead to misunderstanding.

The correct way should be viewing things arise and cease depend on conditions.

Allow me to quote from Anattalakkhana Sutta:
"Bhikkhus, form is not-self. Were form self, then this form would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.' And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.'

"Bhikkhus, feeling is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, perception is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, determinations are not-self...

"Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self. Were consciousness self, then this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.' And since consciousness is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.'
Deleted
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:22 pm Buddha chose to remained silence because both "There is a Self" or "There is no Self" phrase are misleading, partake of wrong view, lead to misunderstanding.
K
Coaching
JC938

Post by JC938 »

I have updated my signature, when I say God earlier, I meant everything, from devas to Buddhas, to Nature, to universe, to yourself. It's a prayer, just like prayer in buddhism. Prayer in the sense, like spreading metta, may I be happy, here is may I be lead from unreal to real...

What I believe and still and will always will believe is, all religions lead to same bliss, same nibbana, called differently with different names. Mukti/moksha, nibbana, nirvana, salvation, this is all same nibbana, it's eternal bliss and free from birth and death.

But, nevermind, let's talk about Buddhism only, because I myself have stop following and reading about every other religion, now only Buddha is my refuge and the religion I will follow from now onwards in what ever to come lifes I may get.

You may agree or not, upto you.

Ok, also, about the question I ask in the first post, I will now put effort to keep sila 8 properly. I will not eat after noon time, I will keep putting effort everyday till I die.

Namo Buddhaya :anjali:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:29 pm "Deathlessness" is correct as there will be no future birth and death after Parinibbana.
The Suttas actually appear to say there is no birth & death when the eyes sees the form, when the ear hears the sound, etc.
On seeing a form with the eye, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body established, with an immeasurable mind, and he understands as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having thus abandoned favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. With the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; with the cessation of clinging, cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

On hearing a sound with the ear…On smelling an odour with the nose…On tasting a flavour with the tongue…On touching a tangible with the body…On cognizing a mind-object with the mind, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing…With the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; with the cessation of clinging, cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

https://suttacentral.net/mn38/en/bodhi
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

JC938 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:08 am I have updated my signature, when I say God earlier, I meant everything, from devas to Buddhas, to Nature, to universe, to yourself. It's a prayer, just like prayer in buddhism. Prayer in the sense, like spreading metta, may I be happy, here is may I be lead from unreal to real...

What I believe and still and will always will believe is, all religions lead to same bliss, same nibbana, called differently with different names. Mukti/moksha, nibbana, nirvana, salvation, this is all same nibbana, it's eternal bliss and free from birth and death.

But, nevermind, let's talk about Buddhism only, because I myself have stop following and reading about every other religion, now only Buddha is my refuge and the religion I will follow from now onwards in what ever to come lifes I may get.

You may agree or not, upto you.

Ok, also, about the question I ask in the first post, I will now put effort to keep sila 8 properly. I will not eat after noon time, I will keep putting effort everyday till I die.

Namo Buddhaya :anjali:
Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu
Really nice to see someone make effort to practice 8 precepts. Respect :anjali:
Deleted
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:59 pm But I think understanding on Dhamma is important too. Seeing your signature, I can see you still a God believer. Not judging here but I'm sure Buddha did not teach that God can help us to gain Nibbana (Nibbana does not mean immortality either)
But didn't you previous call people heretics or nihilists who did not believe in godly realms? :shrug:
Dhammavamsa wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm Wow, so all these years Buddha's talks on heaven, hell, this world, another world, Asuras wars with Devas, Peta, how Devas visited Him for teachings, Mara army, Nagas and Supannas, Supernormal powers through Jhanic powers, all non-existent?

If implying from your statement, there is no other world and no next life too (provided still not Enlightened), that is nihilistic. Stalin will be happy.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:22 pmFor me it is clear that in Ananda Sutta, Buddha chose to remained silence because both "There is a Self" or "There is no Self" phrase are misleading, partake of wrong view, lead to misunderstanding.
The Buddha said in many places there is "no self", as follows:
Insofar as it is empty of a self or of anything pertaining to a self: Thus it is said, Ananda, that the world is empty.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
It was Vacchagotta and not the Buddha who introduced the term "natthatta" into the Ananda Sutta. "Natthata" means "the existent self does not exist".

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

JC938 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 pm How you did it, what you think of when feeling hungry. What benefit does it has so to motivate me to be able to keep.
Meditate upon the painful feeling of hunger; until the feeling passes away. :smile:

sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Yes, meditate.

_________

Not eating between noon and dawn is what arhats do.

Monks try to keep to this precept every day. As a help some foods like dark chocolate are classified as medicine as strong hunger is thought lf as a dis ease or illness by some and taking medicines is allowed.

Laypeople advice is to try to experience, with correct meditation practice, the hindrances between their selves and arhat hood by taking 10 precepts for a dawn to dawn period two or four times every lunar month.

In time, with the support of keeping all five precepts and practice the need to eat in response of craving and ignorance in relation to feelings is less and less.

If keeping precept of eating is very difficult take the necessary medicine. Strengthen keeping all other precepts and practice. Try to moderate by making 6 oclock in the evening the cut off point. Then 5 and so on.
Dhammavamsa

Re:

Post by Dhammavamsa »

sunnat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:41 am Yes, meditate.

_________

Not eating between noon and dawn is what arhats do.

Monks try to keep to this precept every day. As a help some foods like dark chocolate are classified as medicine as strong hunger is thought lf as a dis ease or illness by some and taking medicines is allowed.

Laypeople advice is to try to experience, with correct meditation practice, the hindrances between their selves and arhat hood by taking 10 precepts for a dawn to dawn period two or four times every lunar month.

In time, with the support of keeping all five precepts and practice the need to eat in response of craving and ignorance in relation to feelings is less and less.

If keeping precept of eating is very difficult take the necessary medicine. Strengthen keeping all other precepts and practice. Try to moderate by making 6 oclock in the evening the cut off point. Then 5 and so on.
Sunnat, which tradition you follow?

In the Thai tradition, we can eat breakfast and lunch before noon. But other tradition might just skip the breakfast, only take lunch and that's it.
Deleted
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Teachers of the Venerable Ledi Sayadaw lineage and Ajahn Chah. I recently stayed at a monastery with a Cambodian Monk who had as one of his teachers from Burma while the monastery itself had as spiritual director a senior Monk from Thailand. I believe they all consider themselves Theravadan.
Dhammavamsa

Re:

Post by Dhammavamsa »

sunnat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:47 am Teachers of the Venerable Ledi Sayadaw lineage and Ajahn Chah. I recently stayed at a monastery with a Cambodian Monk who had as one of his teachers from Burma while the monastery itself had as spiritual director a senior Monk from Thailand. I believe they all consider themselves Theravadan.
Ya, I am not talking the Theravada thing here. Just curious, how many times they eat before noon?
Deleted