How do I deal with this. (negative thoughts)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JC938

How do I deal with this. (negative thoughts)

Post by JC938 »

removed..... i'm a human.
Last edited by JC938 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
confusedlayman

Re: How do I deal with this. (negative thoughts)

Post by confusedlayman »

JC938 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 am Hi,

I have alot of negative thoughts. Is this common? Sometime I think like, could I be mara? I just want to speak my problem and believes hoping someone would come and break it. Can anyone help me with reason if I'm or not?

Sometimes I think positively, even if I'm, but if I continue to do good and put effort with my mind, I will be happy and good one day.

Am I right thinking this? Any other advice you have for me?

Thanks.
see the drawbacks of negative thoughts..

only anagami can be fully free from negative thoughts...

when sleeping, assume body and mind not you and sleep in background space of blackness infinity
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JC938

Post by JC938 »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:03 am
JC938 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:46 am Hi,

I have alot of negative thoughts. Is this common? Sometime I think like, could I be mara? I just want to speak my problem and believes hoping someone would come and break it. Can anyone help me with reason if I'm or not?

Sometimes I think positively, even if I'm, but if I continue to do good and put effort with my mind, I will be happy and good one day.

Am I right thinking this? Any other advice you have for me?

Thanks.
see the drawbacks of negative thoughts..

only anagami can be fully free from negative thoughts...

when sleeping, assume body and mind not you and sleep in background space of blackness infinity
thanks.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

Can try Häagen-Dazs. Ice cream always help.
Deleted
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

To me, focusing on breath can help to remove distracting thoughts, by not giving them any attention.

Even if I need to focus on something else, still giving attention to breath just as much as needed to remove it from such thoughts can help.

These thoughts can also emerge from lack of relaxation, rest and sleep. This often is case when they make one nervous.

I believe one can function properly only while rested and relaxed, doing everything just as much as needed, in the moment when needed.

If there is persistent agitation and irritability, automatic negative thoughts and such things, there is probably lack of rest and/or relaxation, possibly chronic and evolved in disorder.

So sometimes it's good to just let everything go, lie down and and shut down the system. Taking a walk, while trying not to think about anything also can help.
JC938

Post by JC938 »

Dweller wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 am To me, focusing on breath can help to remove distracting thoughts, by not giving them any attention.

Even if I need to focus on something else, still giving attention to breath just as much as needed to remove it from such thoughts can help.

These thoughts can also emerge from lack of relaxation, rest and sleep. This often is case when they make one nervous.

I believe one can function properly only while rested and relaxed, doing everything just as much as needed, in the moment when needed.

If there is persistent agitation and irritability, automatic negative thoughts and such things, there is probably lack of rest and/or relaxation, possibly chronic and evolved in disorder.

So sometimes it's good to just let everything go, lie down and and shut down the system. Taking a walk, while trying not to think about anything also can help.
Thanks.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Negative thoughts generally fall under the hindrance of restlessness and worry, when I'm afflicted I find looking up advice on this very helpful. Like this article by Gil Fronsdal, or this talk and this talk by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi JC938,

You might find this article by Ajahn Amaro helpful:

Thinking - understanding and relating to thought

https://www.abhayagiri.org/media/books/ ... inking.pdf

and also this recording of a talk:" Working with the Thinking Mind"

https://amaravati.org/audio/working-thinking-mind/

:anjali: