The Dhamma is simple (if we want it to be)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BrokenBones

The Dhamma is simple (if we want it to be)

Post by BrokenBones »

"This person here is capable of understanding the Dhamma." So, aiming at Suppabuddha the leper, he gave a step-by-step talk, i.e., he proclaimed a talk on generosity, on virtue, on heaven; he declared the drawbacks, degradation, & corruption of sensuality, and the rewards of renunciation. Then when the Blessed One knew that Suppabuddha the leper's mind was ready, malleable, free from hindrances, elevated, & clear, he then gave the Dhamma-talk peculiar to Awakened Ones, i.e., stress, origination, cessation, & path. And just as a clean cloth, free of stains, would properly absorb a dye, in the same way, as Suppabuddha the leper was sitting in that very seat, the dustless, stainless Dhamma eye arose within him, "Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

I know that this is just a first step... but aren't we all just after this?

The graduated talk is one that the Buddha often delivered to lay people (which I assume most of us on the forum are).

Working on sila & right effort 24/7... contemplating as the Buddha instructed... who could ask or insist on more?

Put the right actions in and the Buddha guarantees the results.
DooDoot

Re: The Dhamma is simple (if we want it to be)

Post by DooDoot »

BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 am The graduated talk is one that the Buddha often delivered to lay people
The above idea of "often" appears unsubstantiated.

Also, since most laypeople believe in "re-birth", it appears they do not firmly believe: "Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation."

:smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 am The graduated talk is one that the Buddha often delivered to lay people (which I assume most of us on the forum are).
Pity he didn't leave a recording we could download...

:heart:
Mike
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:57 am Pity he didn't leave a recording we could download...
You could very easily compile a set of suttas that address the topics outlined in the sutta above, and read them in sequence.

:reading:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

If only it were so simple.
"This Dhamma that I have attained is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, peaceful, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. But this generation delights in attachment, is excited by attachment, enjoys attachment. For a generation delighting in attachment, excited by attachment, enjoying attachment, this/that conditionality and dependent co-arising are hard to see. This state, too, is hard to see: the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding. And if I were to teach the Dhamma and if others would not understand me, that would be tiresome for me, troublesome for me."
Who wants to "die" to the "self"?
"Therefore you should train yourselves: 'We will dwell heedfully. We will develop mindfulness of death acutely for the sake of ending the effluents.' That is how you should train yourselves."

And the results are not guaranteed.
Last edited by pegembara on Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:19 am Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:57 am Pity he didn't leave a recording we could download...
You could very easily compile a set of suttas that address the topics outlined in the sutta above, and read them in sequence.

:reading:

Metta,
Paul. :)
Sure, you could have some idea of the content.

Mike
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

mikenz66 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:57 am
BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 am The graduated talk is one that the Buddha often delivered to lay people (which I assume most of us on the forum are).
Pity he didn't leave a recording we could download...

Mike
All the subjects of contemplation are extensively covered in the suttas... no need to look elsewhere.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

pegembara wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 am If only it were so simple.
"This Dhamma that I have attained is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, peaceful, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. But this generation delights in attachment, is excited by attachment, enjoys attachment. For a generation delighting in attachment, excited by attachment, enjoying attachment, this/that conditionality and dependent co-arising are hard to see. This state, too, is hard to see: the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding. And if I were to teach the Dhamma and if others would not understand me, that would be tiresome for me, troublesome for me."
"Therefore you should train yourselves: 'We will dwell heedfully. We will develop mindfulness of death acutely for the sake of ending the effluents.' That is how you should train yourselves."

Never said is was easy... but it is simple...

Working on sila & right effort 24/7... contemplating as the Buddha instructed... who could ask or insist on more?

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 am "This person here is capable of understanding the Dhamma." So, aiming at Suppabuddha the leper, he gave a step-by-step talk, i.e., he proclaimed a talk on generosity, on virtue, on heaven; he declared the drawbacks, degradation, & corruption of sensuality, and the rewards of renunciation. Then when the Blessed One knew that Suppabuddha the leper's mind was ready, malleable, free from hindrances, elevated, & clear, he then gave the Dhamma-talk peculiar to Awakened Ones, i.e., stress, origination, cessation, & path. And just as a clean cloth, free of stains, would properly absorb a dye, in the same way, as Suppabuddha the leper was sitting in that very seat, the dustless, stainless Dhamma eye arose within him, "Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation."

The graduated talk is one that the Buddha often delivered to lay people (which I assume most of us on the forum are).
The above appears found in 9 suttas.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

pegembara wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 am Who wants to "die" to the "self"?
Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.

Anuradha Sutta
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:03 am

Winning the Olympics gold is also "simple". You just have to be faster, stronger, smarter and luckier than all the other competitors!
Just train hard, eat good food and be confident that you can win?
Where is it stated in the suttas that results are guaranteed?
Last edited by pegembara on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

pegembara wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:24 am

It's a common theme in the suttas... cause & effect...

https://suttacentral.net/iti1/en/ireland
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 am

The problem is do you know what Buddha meant by greed?
Can you tell me what is greed as per Buddhism?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 am

A non-returner is by definition free from greed and hatred.
Run faster than everyone else and I guarantee that you will win the gold that is if you are not caught using performance enhancers.

It is so simple. Now everyone can be a gold medallist or a non-returner. All you have to do is ...
chownah

Post by chownah »

(From DN15)
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was living among the Kurus. Now, the Kurus have a town named Kammasadhamma. There Ven. Ananda approached the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "It's amazing, lord, it's astounding, how deep this dependent co-arising is, and how deep its appearance, and yet to me it seems as clear as clear can be."

[The Buddha:] "Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Deep is this dependent co-arising, and deep its appearance. It's because of not understanding and not penetrating this Dhamma that this generation is like a tangled skein, a knotted ball of string, like matted rushes and reeds, and does not go beyond transmigration, beyond the planes of deprivation, woe, and bad destinations.
chownah