Sumitta, the hunter's wife

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
confusedlayman

Sumitta, the hunter's wife

Post by confusedlayman »

In that story, sumitta attains stream entry at young age when living with parents.

She then ran away from family and married a hunter.

Running away from parents for marrage is very bad in indian culture. It is disrespecting parents to lowest level.

Sumitta marry a hunter who earns living by killing animals. Why cant stream enterer remain single than to live with a man who kills daily?

Even sumitta had past life affection towards hunter but how can she live with him based on his lifestyle?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Sumitta, the hunter's wife

Post by Sam Vara »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:14 am In that story, sumitta attains stream entry at young age when living with parents.

Running away from parents for marrage is very bad in indian culture. It is disrespecting parents to lowest level.

Sumitta marry a hunter who earns living by killing animals. Why cant stream enterer remain single than to live with a man who kills daily?

Even sumitta had past life affection towards hunter but how can she live with him based on his lifestyle?
Wouldn't this only be a problem if we had incontrovertible evidence that disrespect to parents and living with an animal-killer were in themselves a bar to stream entry? Might not people be able to do these things and still have the necessary spiritual attainments to be a stream-enterer?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:31 am
confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:14 am In that story, sumitta attains stream entry at young age when living with parents.

Wouldn't this only be a problem if we had incontrovertible evidence that disrespect to parents and living with an animal-killer were in themselves a bar to stream entry? Might not people be able to do these things and still have the necessary spiritual attainments to be a stream-enterer?
Do sumitta had that much desire? Cant imagine
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

I don't recall that Ven. Sumitta ran from parents but in either case it is possible for a stream-enterer to conduct himself such, We really don't know how was life for her with her parents.

She married a hunter but didn't kill, A sotapanna has only destroyed self-view, doubt and clinging to rites and rituals, He/She still has passion and sensual desire just like an ordinary person. So I don't see anything wrong with it.

Being a Sotapanna she avoided breaking precepts, which agrees with the words of the Buddha.

In a certain Mahayana sutta, The Buddha says to Bodhisattva Mahasattva Maitreya that the conduct of a Sotapanna maybe resemble to an ordinary individual. The very same desire, anger and delusion that causes ordinary to fall into lower worlds doesn't cause for a Sotapanna to fall. A Sotapanna has realised the nature of transistory assemblage.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

The Buddha said this:
Bhagavā etadavoca:

“And what is the explanation of the Dhamma that’s relevant to oneself?
“Katamo ca, gahapatayo, attupanāyiko dhammapariyāyo?

It’s when a noble disciple reflects:
Idha, gahapatayo, ariyasāvako iti paṭisañcikkhati:

‘I want to live and don’t want to die; I want to be happy and recoil from pain.
‘ahaṁ khosmi jīvitukāmo amaritukāmo sukhakāmo dukkhappaṭikūlo.

Since this is so, if someone were to take my life, I wouldn’t like that.
Yo kho maṁ jīvitukāmaṁ amaritukāmaṁ sukhakāmaṁ dukkhappaṭikūlaṁ jīvitā voropeyya, na metaṁ assa piyaṁ manāpaṁ.

But others also want to live and don’t want to die; they want to be happy and recoil from pain. So if I were to take the life of someone else, they wouldn’t like that either.

Ahañceva kho pana paraṁ jīvitukāmaṁ amaritukāmaṁ sukhakāmaṁ dukkhappaṭikūlaṁ jīvitā voropeyyaṁ, parassapi taṁ assa appiyaṁ amanāpaṁ.

The thing that is disliked by me is also disliked by others.
Yo kho myāyaṁ dhammo appiyo amanāpo, parassa peso dhammo appiyo amanāpo.

Since I dislike this thing, how can I inflict it on someone else?’
Yo kho myāyaṁ dhammo appiyo amanāpo, kathāhaṁ paraṁ tena saṁyojeyyan’ti.

Reflecting in this way, they give up killing living creatures themselves. And they encourage others to give up killing living creatures, praising the giving up of killing living creatures.

So iti paṭisaṅkhāya attanā ca pāṇātipātā paṭivirato hoti, parañca pāṇātipātā veramaṇiyā samādapeti, pāṇātipātā veramaṇiyā ca vaṇṇaṁ bhāsati.

So their bodily behavior is purified in three points.
Evamassāyaṁ kāyasamācāro tikoṭiparisuddho hoti.

https://suttacentral.net/sn55.7/en/sujato
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nara.html

In five ways, young householder, the parents thus ministered to as the East by their children, show their compassion:

(i) they restrain them from evil,
(ii) they encourage them to do good,
(iii) they train them for a profession,
(iv) they arrange a suitable marriage,
(v) at the proper time they hand over their inheritance to them.
And how does a wretch live together with a female deva? Here, the husband is one who destroys life … he insults and reviles ascetics and brahmins. But his wife is one who abstains from the destruction of life, from taking what is not given, from sexual misconduct, from false speech, and from liquor, wine, and intoxicants, the basis for heedlessness; she is virtuous, of good character; she dwells at home with a heart free from the stain of miserliness; she does not insult or revile ascetics and brahmins. It is in such a way that a wretch lives together with a female deva.

The husband is immoral,
miserly and abusive,
but his wife is virtuous,
charitable, generous.
She is a female deva living
with a wretched husband.

https://suttacentral.net/an4.53/en/bodhi
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Thanks