Right livelihood

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mangaka

Right livelihood

Post by Mangaka »

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask... my question is connected with right livelihood. I work in shop, people buy fruit, vegetable bread etc... but also alcohol and yesterday I noticed there is something like insect repellent in shop too... :|
I do several kinds of works, like working in bacery, around fruit and vegetable but also on cash register (where you can sell those things to people).... It is wrong livelihood then or it must ve job like butcher for example to consider it like wrong livelihood? What do you think, should I talk about it with my boss that?

Thank you and I wish a good day to all of you
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Right livelihood

Post by Sam Vara »

Mangaka wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:37 am Hello everyone,
I would like to ask... my question is connected with right livelihood. I work in shop, people buy fruit, vegetable bread etc... but also alcohol and yesterday I noticed there is something like insect repellent in shop too... :|
I do several kinds of works, like working in bacery, around fruit and vegetable but also on cash register (where you can sell those things to people).... It is wrong livelihood then or it must ve job like butcher for example to consider it like wrong livelihood? What do you think, should I talk about it with my boss that?

The proscribed trades are listed here:

https://suttacentral.net/an5.177/en/sujato

I think the important issue here is what is meant by vanijja (trade). In the Buddha's time, it is likely that these means of livelihood involved one person buying something, adding value where appropriate, and then offering it for resale. I don't think I have seen sutta references to workers who are paid to simply conduct the sale transaction, rather than make the actual profit on the sale of goods, which is what you are doing in your job.

If you were buying the alcohol and then selling it to make a profit for yourself, then that would be a breach. But I wouldn't worry about your current job. It seems fine to me. Your boss, not you, has decided to sell alcohol. You are just pressing buttons to record the conditions of that sale.
2600htz

Re: Right livelihood

Post by 2600htz »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:48 pm
Mangaka wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:37 am Hello everyone,

The proscribed trades are listed here:

https://suttacentral.net/an5.177/en/sujato

I think the important issue here is what is meant by vanijja (trade). In the Buddha's time, it is likely that these means of livelihood involved one person buying something, adding value where appropriate, and then offering it for resale. I don't think I have seen sutta references to workers who are paid to simply conduct the sale transaction, rather than make the actual profit on the sale of goods, which is what you are doing in your job.

If you were buying the alcohol and then selling it to make a profit for yourself, then that would be a breach. But I wouldn't worry about your current job. It seems fine to me. Your boss, not you, has decided to sell alcohol. You are just pressing buttons to record the conditions of that sale.
Hi

That is a curious sutta, the part where meat trading should be avoided. Unless in those times meat trading involved also the killing.

Regards.

As for the OP, at least i think of right livelihood as "harmonious livelihood". Most people dont trade slaves or are butchers, yet their livelihood is not fully harmonious. Maybe they have the perfect job, but they work all day, leading to hindrances. So i think its living in a way that is ethical, but also a life and job that doesnt lead to hindrances.