Is metta wishing criminals avoid punishment ??

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: Is metta wishing criminals avoid punishment ??

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:25 am Criminals are created by corrupt society.
Oh, I thought unwholesome kamma was done by the individual, not "society".

If you knife a granny, is that society's fault? If you rape a juvenile, is that society's fault?

Come on Sarath.
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:25 am I don't think any child is born a criminal.
True. Once someone commits crimes they become a criminal... even though you and your policies would still have criminals such as killers, rapists and pedophiles wandering about, re-offending at will, out of "compassion" for them? Did the Buddha praise this lawless compassion?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

True. Once someone commits crimes they become a criminal.
Society is responsible for stopping before they become criminals.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:45 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:42 am In practicing Metta we extend loving kindness to all beings without exception.
So wishing for (male) rapists & pedophiles to be free from imprisonment is wishing metta upon women & children? :shrug:
Having had experience with legal courts, as a land surveyor,spent time watching court cases. My experience is that the culprit can defend a case against him on the excellency of his legal council. Expert legal counselling is costly and expensive, while the one who raped , robbed or being convicted escapes. The actual innocent victim of the case is not answered with justice. We have seen many rich murderers getting released with loop holes in legal systems.
However the universal law of karma has a net where no one escapes. See cula kamma vibanga or mahakamma vibangha sutta. One may escape karma vipaka in this life, but it will appear and vipaka will punish in another future life. This is highlighted in the life of mahamoggallana thero, being attacked as an arhant.
The need of causing punishment lies always with the victim subjected to life threatening, being robbed, or being sexually assulted orwhatever. This feeling that another should be punished arises with lobha, dvesha and moha where the victim is subjected to unwholesome citta. In order to escape loba, dvesha and moha it is best to develop compassion, as shown by lord budda with Angulimala, Alavaka and many other instances when lord budda was under physical and psychological attacks.
Compassion and brahmavihara is the best answer not to be victimised by kamma under any condition in samsara and to attain much needed nirvana.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:37 am Society is responsible for stopping before they become criminals.
Nonsense.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
justindesilva wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:42 am My experience is that the culprit can defend a case against him on the excellency of his legal council. Expert legal counselling is costly and expensive, while the one who raped , robbed or being convicted escapes.
SarathW and Mahasi Sayadaw would be pleased? 🤷‍♂️

Metta,
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

It should be borne in mind that this is a translation into english from burmese by a burmese translator. Some words could be translated differently.

The quoted text relates to one who seeks to develop equanimity. An earlier paragraph shows that from that perspective the concern about others welfare is an 'anxiety' dispelled by understanding 'one is owner of ones kamma'. At the same time, one who seeks the personal benefit of developing metta etc then to dispel any anger, revenge etc feelings seek the freedom of the 'despicable' other while not interfering with the playing out of the others kamma.
pitakele

Post by pitakele »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:47 am
The Catholic Church has a history of hiding the sex crimes of priests for the sake of forgiveness from Jesus.

Does the Buddhist Vinaya have the same attitude towards the sex crimes of bhikkhus and bhikkhunis? :shrug:
The Vinaya certainly doesn't tolerate sexual crimes (or sexual activity) by Sangha members. However, Sanghas can be corrupt. I know of instances in Sri Lanka where monks have sexually abused young boys and instead of being disrobed & reported to police, the monks have been 'banished' to remote monasteries and are still in robes many years later. The apparent rationale for this sweeping under the carpet is to avoid loss of confidence amongst temple supporters (?)

This is paralleled outside Buddha Dhamma where religious clergy have performed heinous acts completely contrary to the teachings of their faith, yet they have not been expelled or reported by corrupt governing bodies, e.g. the well known cases within the Catholic Church.
aniccā vata saṇkhārā - tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

justindesilva wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:42 am See cula kamma vibanga
Thank you. However, the above sutta was not addressed to Buddhists. It has no relevance to myself. With metta :)
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:51 am Greetings,
justindesilva wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:42 am My experience is that the culprit can defend a case against him on the excellency of his legal council. Expert legal counselling is costly and expensive, while the one who raped , robbed or being convicted escapes.
SarathW and Mahasi Sayadaw would be pleased? 🤷‍♂️

Metta,
I agree with Justin De Silva.
See what happened in the case against Prinice in London in regard to child sex case.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Polar Bear wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:25 am
DooDoot wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:37 am Dear DW forum

I read the following from Brahmavihāra Dhamma by The Venerable Mahāsi Sayādaw of Burma:
Take the case of an accused person who has committed a
criminal offence. In such a case, one should develop loving-kindness
and compassion to the best of one’s ability in the interests of that
accused person so that he or she may escape punishment. However,
if the court passed imposes a sentence of imprisonment or even death,
having found him guilty of the offence, no occasion should arise to
be concerned about their inevitable fate

http://www.aimwell.org/Brahmavihara%20Dhamma.pdf
Is it really the Buddhist practice of metta to have criminals avoid punishment?

Please discuss, including with sutta quotes. Thanks :thanks:
You’re already sitting alone, wishing stuff, you might as well wish a bit extravagantly, e.g. that all murderers should swiftly become arahants like Angulimala and be a comfort to pregnant women and all sentient beings. If someone is no longer the type of person to commit a crime, then there is no need to separate them from society aside from retribution/punishment- which in my mind is associated with the defilement of hatred.
“Venerable sir, if the people of Sunaparanta stab me with a knife, then I will think: ‘These people of Sunaparanta are excellent, truly excellent, in that they do not take my life with a sharp knife.’ Then I will think thus, Blessed One; then I will think thus, Fortunate One.” -

https://suttacentral.net/sn35.88/en/bodhi
On the other hand, it makes sense to remove violent people from society until they’ve changed, or until death, whatever comes first. But this should be done without killing them and while providing them with sufficient requisites for life, safety, and a chance at rehabilitation.

So I’d give a qualified yes to the OP’s topic question.
Yes, this is to my mind the best response. It might be helpful to consider the reasons for punishing wrongdoers, at least in the west. We punish serious criminals by jailing them in order to
1) take them off the streets and make their potential victims safe by their removal
2) rehabilitate them, by means of processes they undergo while in jail (either active interventions such as counselling and training for work, or at least the opportunity for reflection on their wrongdoing)
3) give those wronged the satisfaction of knowing that the evildoer is suffering
4) deter those who might be inclined to commit similar offences.

I think developing loving-kindness towards malefactors is perfectly possible with 1, 2 and 3 above. If they are off the streets, mending their ways, and others are deterred from following their example, then the "punishment" is working and there is no need for them to suffer more than they are. They should not avoid punishment, if their punishment consists of these things working effectively.

It may be, of course, that very wicked people need to undergo some very hard times in order for them not to reoffend. That's their kammic legacy. The best we can do in such circumstances is to wish that they suffer no more than is necessary, and to deploy some sort of kamma based Buddhist theodicy, if that's not too much of a contradiction in terms. Compassion for both the victim and the perpetrator seems to be the option most likely to bring about our own personal stability and happiness. If we are personally involved in a case, then we are likely to have some very uncomfortable and unhelpful emotions ("I hope that bastard gets what's coming to him!" ) but if we are merely talking about generating metta during practice, I personally would avoid getting the mind snagged on details of cases we can do nothing about.

Ajahn Thanissaro addressed some of these issues:
just as you're the primary architect of your own happiness and suffering, other people are the primary architects of theirs. If you really want them to be happy, you don't just treat them nicely. You also want them to learn how to create the causes for happiness. If you can, you want to show them how to do that. This is why the gift of dharma — lessons in how to give rise to true happiness — is the greatest gift.

In the Buddha's most famous example of how to express an attitude of unlimited good will, he doesn't just express the following wish for universal happiness:

Happy, at rest,
may all beings be happy at heart.
Whatever beings there may be,
weak or strong, without exception,
long, large,
middling, short,
subtle, blatant,
seen & unseen,
near & far,
born & seeking birth:
May all beings be happy at heart.
He immediately adds a wish that all beings avoid the causes that would lead them to unhappiness:

Let no one deceive another
or despise anyone anywhere,
or through anger or irritation
wish for another to suffer.
— Sn 1.8

So if you're using visualization as part of your goodwill practice, don't visualize people simply as smiling, surrounded willy-nilly by wealth and sensual pleasures. Visualize them acting, speaking, and thinking skillfully. If they're currently acting on unskillful intentions, visualize them changing their ways. Then act to realize those visualizations if you can.

A similar principle applies to compassion and empathetic joy. Learn to feel compassion not only for people who are already suffering, but also for those who are engaging in unskillful actions that will lead to future suffering. This means, if possible, trying to stop them from doing those things. And learn to feel empathetic joy not only for those who are already happy, but also for those whose actions will lead to future happiness. If you have the opportunity, give them encouragement.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... heart.html

Interesting topic, anyway. Thanks to DooDoot for raising it.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think reward and punishment are integral to kamma loka and you cannot have one without the other. Also in kamma loka, knowledge/ignorance is a double edged sword in the sense that what the individual knows justifies/explains action, but does not change the nature of action which bears fruits where one can always try to delay the inevitable, but can never completely avoid it.

So, in a way, everyone who lives in kamma loka is worthy of sympathy as a difficult and burdensome state of affairs. Usually, when volition/choice/intention are used to determine actions, it is difficult to believe that all the evil in the world is done by people who simply chose to be evil, hence underlying assumptions, generalizations, confusion and ambiguity are equally integral to how kamma loka operates. The wise have metta by reminding us that ignorance, ultimately, is not a justification. This becomes a driving force for our practice and trying to find a way out.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Imagine when the robbers march into a bank , how a guard practice metta by
radiating goodwill towards them .
:rofl:
Not all buddhist are arahant , already attained to deep jhana , ready to forgive and let go . I wonder if the criminal killed your son or raped your daughter would you still be able to radiate metta to them ?! :shrug:
I notice that many buddhists somehow are being unrealistic not to say silly and they are caught up with naive thinking irrespective of how long they learn the dhamma .
No bashing No gossiping
Dweller

Post by Dweller »

I would say yes, but in the same time actually not punishing them is bad and leads to chaos.

This is mentioned by the Buddha as one of the reasons for degeneration of human society.

They need to be punished and others should be protected from them. Not providing protection to people also leads to degeneration.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

asahi wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 am Imagine when the robbers march into a bank , how a guard practice metta by
Not all buddhist are arahant , already attained to deep jhana , ready to forgive and let go . I wonder if the criminal killed your son or raped your daughter would you still be able to radiate metta to them ?! :shrug:
I notice that many buddhists somehow are being unrealistic not to say silly and they are caught up with naive thinking irrespective of how long they learn the dhamma .
I assume this guard is well trained. You still can arrest the robber even though you still have loving-kindness towards him/her. Perhaps in the struggle to arrest the robber may die. But you have taken utmost care to protect both lives. What is wrong here is using excessive force. This is no different from a mental hospital doctor handling a patient
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:30 am
asahi wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 am Imagine when the robbers march into a bank , how a guard practice metta by
I assume this guard is well trained. You still can arrest the robber even though you still have loving-kindness towards him/her. Perhaps in the struggle to arrest the robber may die. But you have taken utmost care to protect both lives. What is wrong here is using excessive force. This is no different from a mental hospital doctor handling a patient
I recollect a sutta where lord budda refers to a butcher in empliyment does not accrue any kamma as his intention is not harming an animal..lLike wise the intention of a guard is protection of wealth and orhers lives gis intention of using a gun is not harming but is guarding.
In Bhagvadgita when arjun who is totally against killing makes up the mind ti go to war against demon ( asura) to protect the good community of sura, going by intention.(please excuse for using hindu veda)
Hence action of a buddhist has to be followed by harmonious action or samma kammantha. and not by any other means.
A judge in punishing a crimunal to gallos bound by his duty with good intention.
Buddhism and karma is weighed by intention ..