Full moon and Buddhist insight

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bundokji

Full moon and Buddhist insight

Post by Bundokji »

Full moon has its significance among many cultures and religions including Buddhism. We believe that the lord Buddha was born and got enlightened during the full moon nights. Many Buddhists intensify their practice during full moon nights, even serious lay practitioners observe the eight precepts during the full moon days.

What i am interested in is the relationship between the full moon and Buddhist insight. As a phenomena, the full moon is a reflection of the sun's light onto the moon's surface from an angle that allows us to observe it here on earth as full circle. This phenomena is as ephemeral as any other moon phase, and it is known to be full in relation to other phases. However, in human thought, the perception of the whole seems to have epistemological significance. In arguments, referring to the "full picture" is often used as an attempt to reveal something that has been omitted or overlooked. The relationship between the parts and whole is a recurring theme in the Buddha's teachings and to the way we construct ideas. It is commonly believed that the closer we are to knowing the whole, the closer we are to a state of perfection. Some Buddhist schools like Zen uses a circle as a symbol, but it is usually drawn in a way that makes the circle imperfect.

The paradox here being that the logic of the teachings makes the whole as contingent as the parts, simply another conditioned phenomena, and yet, it is portrayed as a key to enlightenment through associating it with insight (full moon). What makes things more interesting is that full moon is also associated with defilements and mental health. The term "lunatic" is derived from the relationship with the moon.

I am interested in other member's thoughts on this subject, or if they encountered any papers-articles that attempt to investigate the subject through the lenses i tried to establish here.

Thank you :anjali:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.