How far can one self study and practice mahasi noting?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
simsapa

Re: How far can one self study and practice mahasi noting?

Post by simsapa »

There is only one path to nibbāna, and that is the eightfold path as expounded in the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
How does this sutta expound all eight factors?
bodom

Post by bodom »

simsapa wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:23 am
There is only one path to nibbāna, and that is the eightfold path as expounded in the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
How does this sutta expound all eight factors?
See here:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

I have studied the sutta... I see that the Noble Eightfold Path is included in the Four Noble Truths in the dhammanupassana section. Aside from that, I'm not seeing how the other sections explicitly cover all eight pars.
Sobhana

Post by Sobhana »

It is usually said that noting continues all the way through to your meditation practice, but labeling drops away at the mature phase of udayabbayānupassanā-ñāna or latest with bhangānupassanā-ñāna. With these knowledges the yogi is in the realm of the 2nd jhana where there is no more articulation possible. But even a yogi proficient in the 2nd jhana or higher starts their next meditation with labeling and does so throughout his daily activities.

To add:
retrofuturist wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:51 am This makes sense because the act of noting, is the act of creating sankhara. If one seeks to tranquilize mental and bodily fabrications, creating more fabrications wouldn't seem to be the way to achieve it.
That's a very simplistic view. Even a good night sleep is enhanced by previous activities like opening the windows to let fresh air in and regulate the temperature, regularly wash your bed sheets, take a shower yourself before bedtime and so on. Sure, at one point "all" activity should cease in order to fall asleep, but until then some activity increase the likelihood of calm while others decrease it.

In the beginning of a meditation practice I believe it to be more important to actually understand what is happening during a meditation than to be calm. Calm will follow which will enhance understanding.
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

In the beginning of a meditation practice I believe it to be more important to actually understand what is happening during a meditation than to be calm. Calm will follow which will enhance understanding.
I see value in this.