Population reduction

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
urocentrum

Re: Population reduction

Post by urocentrum »

thepea wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:48 am There are whispering that this global vaccine contains some graphite ingredients that may be harmful to those who take it.
Again not to discuss this aspect of politics/science but curious did buddha mention anything about what enters the body of monastic?
Does a monastic have choice to refuse what enters the body?
I am of the understanding that the beggar bowl may be filled with food donations but the monk or nun can choose what they ingest from this bowl.
Does this go for medicine or vaccine?
This conspiracy theory nonsense shouldn't be allowed on the forum. Conspiracy theories and those who promulgate them are dangerous.

There is nothing wrong with population planning and lowering the human birthrate until it fall below replacement levels.
annada

Post by annada »

urocentrum wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:49 pm This conspiracy theory nonsense shouldn't be allowed on the forum. Conspiracy theories and those who promulgate them are dangerous.

There is nothing wrong with population planning and lowering the human birthrate until it fall below replacement levels.
Killing or harming other beings on whatever ideology is unskillful action, it doesn't matter what ideology you place behind it, be it overpopulation or climate change or a "pandemic" or whatever... It is still killing and harming and it is for you harm and suffering:
"And how is one made pure in three ways by bodily action? There is the case where a certain person, abandoning the taking of life, abstains from the taking of life. He dwells with his rod laid down, his knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, compassionate for the welfare of all living beings."
AN 10.176

And what are the fruits of such actions?
"Because these ten courses of unskillful action are impure and cause impurity. Furthermore, as a result of being endowed with these ten courses of unskillful action, [rebirth in] hell is declared, [rebirth in] an animal womb is declared, [rebirth in] the realm of hungry shades is declared — that or any other bad destination."
AN 10.176
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

urocentrum wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:49 pm
thepea wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:48 am There are whispering that this global vaccine contains some graphite ingredients that may be harmful to those who take it.
Again not to discuss this aspect of politics/science but curious did buddha mention anything about what enters the body of monastic?
I am of the understanding that the beggar bowl may be filled with food donations but the monk or nun can choose what they ingest from this bowl.
This conspiracy theory nonsense shouldn't be allowed on the forum. Conspiracy theories and those who promulgate them are dangerous.

It is tiresome isn’t it.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Topic now split so that those who want to discuss population reduction can do so here, and those wanting to address the issues of monks accepting medicines can do so in the new thread of that name.

Please could posters note that these are both in General Theravāda Discussion, so any posts about conspiracy theories are likely to be removed as being off-topic.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 pm Topic now split so that those who want to discuss population reduction can do so here, and those wanting to address the issues of monks accepting medicines can do so in the new thread of that name.

Please could posters note that these are both in General Theravāda Discussion, so any posts about conspiracy theories are likely to be removed as being off-topic.
Whoops
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SDC wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:38 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 pm Topic now split so that those who want to discuss population reduction can do so here, and those wanting to address the issues of monks accepting medicines can do so in the new thread of that name.

Whoops
De-Whoopsed. Your post is now in "Monastics accepting medicine"!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

More to SDC's earlier point, the relationship between death and distracted mind is what the Buddha established.
As a mighty flood sweeps away the sleeping village, so death carries away the person of distracted mind who only plucks the flowers (of pleasure).

The Destroyer brings under his sway the person of distracted mind who, insatiate in sense desires, only plucks the flowers (of pleasure).
While the Buddha had supernormal powers and was able to make prophecies, i do not see the relevance between the teachings and the mass death of populations at a certain era.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
urocentrum

Post by urocentrum »

cfekete wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:06 pm
urocentrum wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:49 pm This conspiracy theory nonsense shouldn't be allowed on the forum. Conspiracy theories and those who promulgate them are dangerous.

Killing or harming other beings on whatever ideology is unskillful action, it doesn't matter what ideology you place behind it, be it overpopulation or climate change or a "pandemic" or whatever... It is still killing and harming and it is for you harm and suffering:
"And how is one made pure in three ways by bodily action? There is the case where a certain person, abandoning the taking of life, abstains from the taking of life. He dwells with his rod laid down, his knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, compassionate for the welfare of all living beings."
AN 10.176

And what are the fruits of such actions?
"Because these ten courses of unskillful action are impure and cause impurity. Furthermore, as a result of being endowed with these ten courses of unskillful action, [rebirth in] hell is declared, [rebirth in] an animal womb is declared, [rebirth in] the realm of hungry shades is declared — that or any other bad destination."
AN 10.176
Who said anything about killing anyone? Population planning simply means limiting the amount of children people can have and I fully support this. There is nothing remotely unethical about population planning and such measures have been previously introduced in both China and Singapore.
Last edited by urocentrum on Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
urocentrum

Post by urocentrum »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:12 pm

It is tiresome isn’t it.
It most certainly is and all this scaremongering about vaccination ought to be suppressed by a government. As someone who has taken both AstraZeneca shots I find it highly distressing. Conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers are nothing but thugs and vigilantes in my estimation.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

thepea wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:42 am I am a noble man, an ariya, a sotapanna, a stream winner.
....and I'm a Cornish Pastie.

:alien:
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

To avoid turning this discussion about governments, i think the overall impact of the Buddha's teachings is to reduce population even if this is not the purpose of the teachings. Monastics are not allowed to get married or to have children, and serious lay practitioners might be less inclined to have big families to dedicate more time to meditation.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Aloka wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:59 pm
thepea wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:42 am I am a noble man, an ariya, a sotapanna, a stream winner.
....and I'm a Cornish Pastie.

:alien:
If that’s how you choose to view yourself, all the power to you my dear.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Knowing the ignorance, anger and hostility in the world... knowing that the internet is just a reflection of this... why would you announce to the world your stream entry... it only invites derision and a wise person would know this.

Such attainments are best saved for your teachers and perhaps close Dhamma friends... anything else is just stirring up trouble for others and oneself.
circuit

Post by circuit »

what? Dhammawheel now facilitate a discussion on "population reduction" topic?

isn't it a "tiracchanakatha"

i wonder why a "Dhammawheel sotapanna" would start a "tiracchanakatha" topic for "discussion"...?
circuit

Post by circuit »

agree with urocentrum