Population reduction

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thepea

Population reduction

Post by thepea »

I remember in school grade 9 or 10 I had a teacher and he was teaching population positives and negatives and predicting oil shortages/longevity as well as other resources based on population and exponential growth.

Now... not to start a discussion on current social theories floating around. Eg: buildinerg group/who/Georgia guides tones and the theory of a culling of the herd of 90%.

But did buddha give any sutta/prediction or indication of this time period of anything like this occurring.
A great attack from mara, etc...?
Dhammanando

Re: Population reduction

Post by Dhammanando »

thepea wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:03 pm But did buddha give any sutta/prediction or indication of this time period of anything like this occurring.
No. With the lone exception of the prediction made at the time of the founding of the bhikkhuni-sangha, the prophetic material in the canon never stipulates any time period for when something will come to pass. Instead it merely describes tendencies (especially among bhikkhus), events and patterns of events.

See, for example, the four Anāgatabhayāni Suttas ("Discourses on Future Dangers") in the Anguttarā Nikāya and the Great Dreams Birth Story in the Jātakas.

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/an5.77
https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/an5.78
https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/an5.79
https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/an5.80

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/ja77
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SDC

Post by SDC »

thepea wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:03 pm I remember in school grade 9 or 10 I had a teacher and he was teaching population positives and negatives and predicting oil shortages/longevity as well as other resources based on population and exponential growth.

Now... not to start a discussion on current social theories floating around. Eg: buildinerg group/who/Georgia guides tones and the theory of a culling of the herd of 90%.

But did buddha give any sutta/prediction or indication of this time period of anything like this occurring.
He said his dispensation would deteriorate and that followers would resort to talking nonsense that had nothing to do with the goal of the holy life.

Also AN 10.29 said there will come a time when the world dissolves.
thepea

Post by thepea »

SDC wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:23 pm
thepea wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:03 pm I remember in school grade 9 or 10 I had a teacher and he was teaching population positives and negatives and predicting oil shortages/longevity as well as other resources based on population and exponential growth.

He said his dispensation would deteriorate and that followers would resort to talking nonsense that had nothing to do with the goal of the holy life.

As a noble man, I have had visions of a great culling of villages.
Very vivid.
Recently I had a very close encounter with Mara.
Very impenetrable, cruel, dark, cold force that I had felt prior in these visions.
The practice remains the practice, and I’m chalking this up as theoretical study.
Just curious if buddha or suttas mentioned an attack or culling approaching?
SDC

Post by SDC »

thepea wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 pm
SDC wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Very vivid.
Very impenetrable, cruel, dark, cold force that I had felt prior in these visions.
The practice remains the practice, and I’m chalking this up as theoretical study.
The dissolving of the world and/or contraction of the cosmos seems pretty bad, but that doesn’t seem to be the principal significance described in the suttas. The mere fact that you will die is a certainty that all have to deal with. How or when it happens doesn’t matter. It will happen. That is the truth of your life here and now. Indulgent and/or deluded lifestyles and tendencies can keep it covered, but only for so long.

There’s also AN 7.66 about the seven suns, but again, not the most important thing the Buddha had to say regarding knowledge of the certainty of death.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

As others have clearly and accurately explained already--no basis for it in the canon. So you have your answer it seems.

The main risk in our day and age is counterfeit dhamma-- that is, would-be Buddhists spinning into confusion and delusion and missing the point of the teachings and following/teaching false paths.
thepea

Post by thepea »

There are whispering that this global vaccine contains some graphite ingredients that may be harmful to those who take it.
Again not to discuss this aspect of politics/science but curious did buddha mention anything about what enters the body of monastic?
Does a monastic have choice to refuse what enters the body?
I am of the understanding that the beggar bowl may be filled with food donations but the monk or nun can choose what they ingest from this bowl.
Does this go for medicine or vaccine?
circuit

Post by circuit »

thepea wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:03 pm did buddha give any sutta/prediction or indication of this time period of anything like this occurring.
The Buddha taught people to cultivate metta, karuna, while practising sila, samādhi, pañña. And The Buddha taught people to avoid "tiracchanakatha".

if someone indulging in tiracchanakatha, seems not yet cultivate anything according to Buddha's teaching, not to say can attain noble path.

so, stop proclaim yourself as "noble"

you have no proof
circuit

Post by circuit »

Very vivid.
stop proclaim yourself as noble

you have no proof
thepea

Post by thepea »

circuit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:13 am

Very vivid.
stop proclaim yourself as noble

you have no proof
I am a noble man, an ariya, a sotapanna, a stream winner.
This is just what is, I need not prove anything to you or anyone else.
Does this trouble you?
Some of us are adults of the world and others are infants, I am an adult.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
thepea

Post by thepea »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:46 am Greetings,

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
Agree,
Did buddha mention anything regarding the monastics right/choice as to what enters the body?
As stated I’m pretty certain monastic has eat what they like from the bowl and discard what don’t like. Is this the same for medicines offered?
SDC

Post by SDC »

thepea wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:42 am Some of us are adults of the world and others are infants, I am an adult.
Yes, you certainly have the concerns of a seasoned worldly man. Fortunately the Buddha abandoned that type of concern and taught something much greater.
SDC

Post by SDC »

thepea wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:04 am I’m pretty certain monastic has eat what they like from the bowl and discard what don’t like.
I’ve never heard that before.

As far as the vaccine I’m sure monastics will be given a choice. Although it is likely that different countries may have different rules and it could be mandatory in certain places.
thepea

Post by thepea »

SDC wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:27 am
thepea wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:04 am I’m pretty certain monastic has eat what they like from the bowl and discard what don’t like.
I’ve never heard that before.

As far as the vaccine I’m sure monastics will be given a choice. Although it is likely that different countries may have different rules and it could be mandatory in certain places.
Am I mistaken in that a monk has no choice what is placed in the beggar bowl but can choose to eat that what’s paced in the bowl in part in whole or none at all.
The monastic does not have to eat anything placed in the bowl, correct?
Logically this would apply to a vaccine or medicine, the monastic has dominion over their body and what enters it.
Minus a few things like alchohol or another monk genitals not even to the depth of a sesame seed if I recall correctly.