Do You recommend Goenka ten days Vipassana retreat?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

1) Yes I have attended the retreat and highly recommend it
18%
2) Yes I have attended the retreat and do not recommend it.
18%
3) No I have not attended the retreat and recommend it as I have seen his videos and read books
7%
4) No I have not attended the retreat and have not recommended it as I do not like his videos and books
14%
5) No I have not attended the retreats and do not like him because he is an Indaian
4%
6) No I have not attended the retreat and do not like him because he is a layman
No votes
7) No I have not attended the retreat but recommend it as I have heard others talk good about it.
14%
8) No I have not attended the retreat but not recommend as I have heard others talk bad about it
25%

Total votes: 28

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: Do You recommend Goenka ten days Vipassana retreat?

Post by SarathW »

I voted 3 abd 7
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

The first mass-market retreats i did generally had 45 to 60 minutes of sitting meditation separated by 30 to 45 minutes of walking meditation. Therefore, newbies did not have to suffer and be overly mentally challenged by sitting meditation that is too long and verges of the self-mortification the Buddha condemned.

At my 3rd consecutive retreat, the schedule (after breakfast) was 45 minute each of Dhamma talk, walking, sitting, walking and then in the afternoon, 45 minutes each of sitting, walking, sitting, walking.

But at my 3rd consecutive retreat, tireless energy was aroused in me and unremitting mindfulness was established, my body was tranquil and untroubled, my mind concentrated and unified. Thus, each morning, I voluntarily chose with my free will to sit for 2 hours and 15 minutes each morning and I voluntarily chose with my free will to sit for 2 hours and 15 minutes each afternoon. I was not forced to sit for 2 hours and 15 minutes twice per day. My samadhi was sufficiently developed that i could not even feel my aching legs.

Since i could not even feel any pain in my body due to mental absorption into Anapanasati, what was the use and benefit of Goenka's instruction of trying to foolishly use painful feelings as an object? :shrug:

Say, theoretically ;) my mind entered into vedanupassana of Anapanasati experiencing rapture & happiness? What was the use and benefit of Goenka's instruction of trying to foolishly use painful feelings as an object? :shrug:

In summary, newbies should practise according to their capability and not be forced into the self-mortification the Lord Buddha condemned in his 1st sermon. :meditate:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:51 am... But at my 3rd consecutive retreat, tireless energy was aroused in me and unremitting mindfulness was established, my body was tranquil and untroubled, my mind concentrated and unified...
Oh my god dude, that was brutal. +1
jons

Post by jons »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:29 am Do You recommend Goenka ten days Vipassana retreat?
I would recommend any body who want to start practice meditation in Theravada tradition. Goenka teaches meditation practice according to a Burmese Teacher : Venerable Ledi Sayadaw. This meditation method came from the Buddha's teachings in : Pathama Gelañña Sutta. After you proficiently practice the technique according to the ten days retreat, you start practice further with Mahasatipathana. There is a wonderful translation of Mahasatipathana at Vipassana Research Institute website.

My opinion
Jons
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I posted my opinion over here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40837&p=634426#p634426
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

jons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:51 pm
SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:29 am Do You recommend Goenka ten days Vipassana retreat?
I would recommend any body who want to start practice meditation in Theravada tradition. Goenka teaches meditation practice according to a Burmese Teacher : Venerable Ledi Sayadaw. This meditation method came from the Buddha's teachings in : Pathama Gelañña Sutta. After you proficiently practice the technique according to the ten days retreat, you start practice further with Mahasatipathana. There is a wonderful translation of Mahasatipathana at Vipassana Research Institute website.

My opinion
Jons
Thanks.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

jons wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:51 pm

My opinion
Jons
The Pathama Gelanna sutta is a contemplation... not a ritualistic scanning of the body. It even guides you through it until you start 'knowing' for yourself. Jumping from one sensation to another or staring down a sensation is not focussing on 'inconstancy'. To equate the sutta with the Goenka technique is beyond thin... my opinion.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The number 5 option appears silly; why would it matter what ethnicity / race he is?

I notice there are about 3 yes options and 5 no options. This might mislead some with the results as those who do not recommend would have their voting spread out among 5 options. Also, allowing multiple choices can skew the results since some will only pick one choice and some will pick 5 options.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

DNS wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 pm The number 5 option appears silly; why would it matter what ethnicity / race he is?

I notice there are about 3 yes options and 5 no options. This might mislead some with the results as those who do not recommend would have their voting spread out among 5 options. Also, allowing multiple choices can skew the results since some will only pick one choice and some will pick 5 options.
Also... I don't see the relevance of 'Indian'.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Only anecdotal but this poor chap actually taught mindfulness for years. He includes testimony from others who had very negative experiences that lingered for a long time.

https://danlawton.substack.com/p/when-buddhism-goes-bad
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I recommend Goenka retreats to friends and family, but I also agree with a lot of the danger comments other people have reported.
It's a proper hardcore bootcamp, the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life.
But also the most rewarding thing I've ever done.
I've seen several people have underlying mental illness triggered by the retreat. Not good.
Approach with caution, and take responsibility for your own health.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:12 am I recommend Goenka retreats to friends and family, but I also agree with a lot of the danger comments other people have reported.
It's a proper hardcore bootcamp, the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life.
But also the most rewarding thing I've ever done.
I've seen several people have underlying mental illness triggered by the retreat. Not good.
Approach with caution, and take responsibility for your own health.
I've done quite a few... the difficulty and 'surviving' is seen as a badge of honour or accomplishment by quite a lot of Goenka practitioners... I'm just sad at my wasted time but happy that I kicked the 'habit'.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I think discussing the teachings with other practitioners is beneficial, in the sense that each has a perspective, and language being a medium between humans, its relevant for exchanging ideas. The company of the wise is indeed valuable.

But meditation!!! :rolleye: :shock: :shrug:

Why do people go and meditate together eludes me.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Tennok

Post by Tennok »

Why do people go and meditate together eludes me
It does generates some extra focus. Perhaps it is similiar to rock concerts, or rave parties - some kind of grop consciousness emerges? Some mental osmosis happends? Btw, I ve seen at least one theravada forrest monastery, in which monks do group meditation for large part of the day ( in front of a skeleton :smile: ) , instead of meditating aloe in their kutis. So it's not a lay man's hobby only...

Even the self mortification aspect has it's purposes, in my book. That's why I like orgnized meditations, with a set up time. You are dealing with your monkey mind's stron urges to get up, scratch your butt, run away...And you can't follow those impulses , couse your fellow soldiers are watching. It gets really interesting, when this monkey mind suddenly gives up and vanishes.

For some reason the best - or deepest - stuff that I stumbled upon in meditation, happend during the retreats. I wish it was other way around, couse I can't do them nowdays. :cry:

Being set in the meditative einvorment, with a good teacher, is priceless. I haven't done Goenka, btw. Not a fan of his method.