Pls provide sutta reference .

:thanks:

:anjali:
No bashing No gossiping
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Sutta reference Buddha didnt answer dhamma question

Post by Sam Vara »

asahi wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:29 am Pls provide sutta reference .

:anjali:
Do you mean as in SN 44.10, when Vacchagotta's question is unanswered?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

It seems the question was not a ‘Dhamma’ question but, instead, a question about an alien ideology.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
asahi

Post by asahi »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 am Do you mean as in SN 44.10, when Vacchagotta's question is unanswered?
Well , the reference i meant was about how Buddha didnt want to answer because he dont want to share the dhamma .

No bashing No gossiping
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

Asahi wrote
Well , the reference i meant was about how Buddha didnt want to answer because he dont want to share the dhamma .
Isn't it blasphemy to say that Buddha did not want to share Dhamma, if that Dhamma was helpful at all in the release of our suffering?
Why would the thought enter your sweet head? Remember the narrative of the "Handful of leaves". There is a jungle out there. Who has the time to deal with the jungle? Prey, predator, DooDoot can write a poem about that stuff. Buddha only spoke of such a handful of things, yet we struggle with that handful, by getting distracted by the irrelevant things.
Now there are ten unanswered questions also, but then again if you want to squander your time??? these are good candidates to ponder on...but isn't your head on fire? Should you not do something about it first?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_unanswered_questions

While having fun, I love DooDoot's answer,
  • Alien cosmology
or is it
  • Alien ideology
he has a knack for making dhamma fun. I think he meant alien dhamma... since alien ideas enter our head, (due to our delusion or confusion) that we have a self... Isn't that why we are twirling in Samsara. If we thought otherwise, we would not have returned to Samsara to have this conversation.
Thanks DDD for making it fun. Come up with some more poetry.
With love :candle:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

asahi wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:44 am
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 am Do you mean as in SN 44.10, when Vacchagotta's question is unanswered?

There were occasions when he didn't answer questions because they were not asked at the correct time:
"Teach me the Dhamma, O Blessed One! Teach me the Dhamma, O One-Well-Gone, that will be for my long-term welfare & bliss."

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him, "This is not the time, Bāhiya. We have entered the town for alms."

A second time, Bāhiya said to the Blessed One, "But it is hard to know for sure what dangers there may be for the Blessed One's life, or what dangers there may be for mine. Teach me the Dhamma, O Blessed One! Teach me the Dhamma, O One-Well-Gone, that will be for my long-term welfare & bliss."

A second time, the Blessed One said to him, "This is not the time, Bāhiya. We have entered the town for alms."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

But this was not because he didn't want to share the Dhamma. He did, when pressed a third time.

There is also this, regarding those who do not respond appropriately to instruction:
if a tamable person doesn't submit either to a mild training or to a harsh training or to a mild & harsh training, then the Tathagata doesn't regard him as being worth speaking to or admonishing. His knowledgeable fellows in the holy life don't regard him as being worth speaking to or admonishing. This is what it means to be totally destroyed in the Doctrine & Discipline, when the Tathagata doesn't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing, and one's knowledgeable fellows in the holy life don't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:27 am
asahi wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:44 am

There were occasions when he didn't answer questions because they were not asked at the correct time:
"Teach me the Dhamma, O Blessed One! Teach me the Dhamma, O One-Well-Gone, that will be for my long-term welfare & bliss."

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him, "This is not the time, Bāhiya. We have entered the town for alms."

A second time, Bāhiya said to the Blessed One, "But it is hard to know for sure what dangers there may be for the Blessed One's life, or what dangers there may be for mine. Teach me the Dhamma, O Blessed One! Teach me the Dhamma, O One-Well-Gone, that will be for my long-term welfare & bliss."

A second time, the Blessed One said to him, "This is not the time, Bāhiya. We have entered the town for alms."

But this was not because he didn't want to share the Dhamma. He did, when pressed a third time.

There is also this, regarding those who do not respond appropriately to instruction:
if a tamable person doesn't submit either to a mild training or to a harsh training or to a mild & harsh training, then the Tathagata doesn't regard him as being worth speaking to or admonishing. His knowledgeable fellows in the holy life don't regard him as being worth speaking to or admonishing. This is what it means to be totally destroyed in the Doctrine & Discipline, when the Tathagata doesn't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing, and one's knowledgeable fellows in the holy life don't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing.
So i guess in no way that the Buddha do not want to share the dhamma because of selfishness or thinking because He went through so much hardship therefore anyone else also must go through severe adversity like Him if wanted to learn dhamma . If it is about timing , certain circumstances such as too ignorant or the person are untamable that appears reasonable .

Thanks
No bashing No gossiping
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

asahi wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:45 am
So i guess in no way that the Buddha do not want to share the dhamma because of selfishness or thinking because He went through so much hardship therefore anyone else also must go through severe adversity like Him if wanted to learn dhamma .
No, I think he had eliminated all taint of selfishness, and was motivated by compassion. Why make it hard for others when there is no need?
SDC

Post by SDC »

It’s abundantly clear in each of those cases that the listener wasn’t in the right frame of mind. MN 75 is a great example, and the Buddha explains to Māgandiya precisely why teaching according to a certain criteria - the criteria Māgandiya prefers - is going to yield poor results. The instructions will apply in the wrong place and not lead to knowledge.
form

Post by form »

He didn't answer when asked if there is a self or there is no self to a famous wanderer with a name that starts with V.