on killing insects.....

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
confusedsoso

on killing insects.....

Post by confusedsoso »

Is it wrong in theravada buddhism killing insects. I think I saw somewhere that killing insects is wrong bodily actions in theravada buddism. I am confused on this topic. Please help me. Thanks in advance.
DiamondNgXZ

Re: on killing insects.....

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Insects are considered part of sentient beings in Buddhism. No killing precept in the 5 precepts means no intentional killing of sentient beings.

This is one of the lessons we learn as a kid growing up in a Buddhist family. It was relatively easy for kids to just listen to adults and don't even kill ants or mosquitos. Just brush them away gently, blow them away or pick them up gently and throw to a safe place (not into pools of water). For mosquitos can also use natural repellent which doesn't kills them. Not insect sprays which kills.

To avoid flies, ants, just keep your home hygienic, no exposed food, wash dishes immediately, no leftover food. No eating in the room. Clean up the kitchen after eating if your eating habits makes the floor dirty with food. Oh and don't wear dirty shoes inside your home. Who knows what kinda dirt/food/feces had the bottom of the shoes been exposed to outside?
Last edited by DiamondNgXZ on Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Yes killing insects is against the first precept.
But anything you can't see with the eye, like bacteria and viruses, aren't included.
Monks usually filter their water so they don't accidentally kill swimming insects.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Mosquitoes kill more than 700,000 people every year

:shrug:
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:03 pm Mosquitoes kill more than 700,000 people every year

:shrug:
people kill people too. Doesnt mean its not against the first precept.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

people kill people too. Doesnt mean its not against the first precept.

If the insects were Adolf Hitler I think most people would kill the insect. Just looking at it from a different angle.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:04 am Yes killing insects is against the first precept.
But anything you can't see with the eye, like bacteria and viruses, aren't included.
Monks usually filter their water so they don't accidentally kill swimming insects.
:goodpost:
I think the intention can make how intense the action is.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

confusedsoso wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:51 am people kill people too. Doesnt mean its not against the first precept.

If the insects were Adolf Hitler I think most people would kill the insect. Just looking at it from a different angle.
You mean Hitler as mosquito, as in the mosquito is capable of starting a world war?

Or Hitler as in a human, that people would be ok to kill Hitler, if say they got a time machine and got transported to just before WW2 starts, with foreknowledge that killing Hitler can stop WW2?

Most people have innate goodness in them which prevents them from killing another human, even Hitler. It's the form which matters more. There's already plenty of superhero kind of show which shows the great remorse, grief at a superhero first time crossing the line to kill the villain. Jessica Jones season 2 is a prime example. She kept on having the first season bad guy in her head even if she did saved a lot of people by killing Kilgrave.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:52 am Insects are considered part of sentient beings in Buddhism. No killing precept in the 5 precepts means no intentional killing of sentient beings.
The above sounds like Mahayana or Chinese Buddhism. I don't recall the suttas referring to "sentient beings", particularly in respect to the 1st precept. What are the two Pali words for "sentient beings"? Thanks :thanks:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

confusedsoso wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:51 am people kill people too. Doesnt mean its not against the first precept.

Hello. You should not confuse the behaviour of a Dhamma-Follower with the behaviour of people in the world.

A Dhamma-Follower does not kill insects or Adolf Hilter.

If you read Bhikkhu Bodhi's essay on how Buddhists should die in war to save Jews, you should ignore it.

Kind regards
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

yes, it's an action that has cruelty as a basis. avoid it at all costs, ideally. is a gradual practice.....
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
confusedsoso

Post by confusedsoso »

You mean Hitler as mosquito, as in the mosquito is capable of starting a world war?

Or Hitler as in a human, that people would be ok to kill Hitler, if say they got a time machine and got transported to just before WW2 starts, with foreknowledge that killing Hitler can stop WW2?

I mean that insects can spead diseases that could kill humans like Adolf Hitlers ideology was a disease that ultimately killed millions of people. So wouldnt it make sense to kill Hitler or insects like mosquitos when given the chance even if it meant creating bad karma for yourself. I dunno.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

confusedsoso wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm So wouldn't it make sense to kill Hitler
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
confusedsoso wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:34 am Is it wrong in theravada buddhism killing insects. I think I saw somewhere that killing insects is wrong bodily actions in theravada buddism. I am confused on this topic. Please help me. Thanks in advance.
It's been confirmed that yes, killing is against the first precept in Theravada Buddhism.

That said, you seem to want to keep asking questions about mosquitos called Hitler and what not, so I'm going to move this out of "Theravada For Beginners" and into another section, so moderators no longer have to approve ridiculous answers to irrelevant questions.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
48vows

Post by 48vows »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:31 am I don't recall the suttas referring to "sentient beings"
You cited one here -

viewtopic.php?p=639029#p639029