Fearlessness

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nicholas Weeks

Fearlessness

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Somewhere here on DW there is probably a long thread with Dhamma quotes on killing fear and/or developing fearlessness. If someone knows where it is kindly give us the URL.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Fearlessness

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

OK, here is one from Dhammapada:
258. One is not wise because one speaks much. He who is peaceable, friendly and fearless is called wise.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I can't recall any such thread, but if you are collecting suttas, this one is a must:
I dwelt in such awe-inspiring, horrifying abodes as orchard shrines, woodland shrines, and tree shrines. And while I dwelt there, a wild animal would come up to me, or a peacock would knock off a branch, or the wind would rustle the leaves. I thought: ‘What now if this is the fear and dread coming?’ I thought: ‘Why do I dwell always expecting fear and dread? What if I subdue that fear and dread while keeping the same posture that I am in when it comes upon me?’

“While I walked, the fear and dread came upon me; I neither stood nor sat nor lay down till I had subdued that fear and dread. While I stood, the fear and dread came upon me; I neither walked nor sat nor lay down till I had subdued that fear and dread. While I sat, the fear and dread came upon me; I neither walked nor stood nor lay down till I had subdued that fear and dread. While I lay down, the fear and dread came upon me; I neither walked nor stood nor sat down till I had subdued that fear and dread.
https://suttacentral.net/mn4/en/bodhi

And this one:
And who is the person who, subject to death, is not afraid or in terror of death?

"There is the case of the person who has abandoned passion, desire, fondness, thirst, fever, and craving for sensuality. Then he comes down with a serious disease. As he comes down with a serious disease, the thought does not occur to him, 'O, those beloved sensual pleasures will be taken from me, and I will be taken from them!' He does not grieve, is not tormented; does not weep, beat his breast, or grow delirious. This is a person who, subject to death, is not afraid or in terror of death.

"Furthermore, there is the case of the person who has abandoned passion, desire, fondness, thirst, fever, and craving for the body. Then he comes down with a serious disease. As he comes down with a serious disease, the thought does not occur to him, 'O, my beloved body will be taken from me, and I will be taken from my body!' He does not grieve, is not tormented; does not weep, beat his breast, or grow delirious. This, too, is a person who, subject to death, is not afraid or in terror of death.

"Furthermore, there is the case of the person who has done what is good, has done what is skillful, has given protection to those in fear, and has not done what is evil, savage, or cruel. Then he comes down with a serious disease. As he comes down with a serious disease, the thought occurs to him, 'I have done what is good, have done what is skillful, have given protection to those in fear, and I have not done what is evil, savage, or cruel. To the extent that there is a destination for those who have done what is good, what is skillful, have given protection to those in fear, and have not done what is evil, savage, or cruel, that's where I'm headed after death.' He does not grieve, is not tormented; does not weep, beat his breast, or grow delirious. This, too, is a person who, subject to death, is not afraid or in terror of death.

"Furthermore, there is the case of the person who has no doubt or perplexity, who has arrived at certainty with regard to the True Dhamma. Then he comes down with a serious disease. As he comes down with a serious disease, the thought occurs to him, 'I have no doubt or perplexity. I have arrived at certainty with regard to the True Dhamma.' He does not grieve, is not tormented; does not weep, beat his breast, or grow delirious. This, too, is a person who, subject to death, is not afraid or in terror of death.

"These, brahman, are four people who, subject to death, are not afraid or in terror of death."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Very good Sam! Here are some from Sutta Nipata 42:
One who has no hatred towards any of the four directions, being contented with little or much, having overcome all danger, fearless; let one live alone. (42)

The foremost of your armies is that of Desire, the second is called Dislike. The third is Hunger-Thirst and the fourth is Craving. (436)
The fifth is the army of Lethargy-Laziness and the sixth is Fear.The seventh is Doubt and the eighth is Obstinacy-Restlessness. (437)
Then there are also material gain, praise, honour and fame obtained by wrongful means. One may also think highly of oneself and disparage others. (438)
These, O Māra, are your forces, the attackers of the evil one. One less than a hero will not be victorious over them and attain happiness. (439)

A hero — a man of greatness, of prominence, of wisdom, a man of fearlessness and victory. Nonattached; washed [in the waters of wisdom]; enlightened. This is what I call a brahmin. (646
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Two verses from MN 56, with my underlining:
He has fared rightly and abides in meditation,
inwardly undefiled, in purity perfect;
He is independent and altogether fearless,
living secluded, attained to the summit;
Having crossed over himself, he leads us across:
The Blessed One is he, and I am his disciple.

Of supreme serenity, with extensive wisdom,
a man of great wisdom, devoid of all greed;
He is the Tathagata, he is the Sublime One,
the person unrivalled, the one without equal;
He is intrepid, proficient in all:
The Blessed One is he, and I am his disciple.
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

Metta and equanimity are traditionally taught as the main antidotes to fear.
This is because metta counteracts hate or aversion, and fear is nothing other than another manifestation of aversion so will be quelled when the mind has sufficient metta.
This is also why the practice is emphasized when one goes to practice in the wilderness.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... on.html#s4
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:02 am Metta and equanimity are traditionally taught as the main antidotes to fear.
This is because metta counteracts hate or aversion, and fear is nothing other than another manifestation of aversion so will be quelled when the mind has sufficient metta.
This is also why the practice is emphasized when one goes to practice in the wilderness.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... on.html#s4
Good & helpful reminder about the Book of Protection. At the end, in an Appendix, is a Fearlessness passage from MN 86. Here is a pdf of the book, followed by a snip from the sutta:

https://www.bps.lk/olib/bp/bp216s_Piyad ... ection.pdf
By the (protective) power of all Buddhas, Pacceka Buddhas and all
Arahants I secure your protection in every way.
May all misfortunes be warded off, may all ailments cease; may no
calamities befall you; may you live long in peace.
May all blessings be upon you. May all devas (deities) protect you.
By the protective power of all the Buddhas may safety ever be yours.
By the protective power of all the Dhamma may safety ever be
yours.
By the protective power of all the Sangha may safety ever be yours.
By the power of this paritta may you be free from all dangers arising
from malign influences of the planets, demons, and spirits. May thy
misfortunes vanish.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

When I have fear or in desperate danger, I will think of Dhajagga Sutta.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Ontheway wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:58 pm When I have fear or in desperate danger, I will think of Dhajagga Sutta.
Thank you :bow:

Here is the verse portion of that sutta:
i. Whether in forest or at foot of tree,
Or in some secluded spot, O monks,
Do call to mind that Buddha Supreme;
Then will there be no fear to you at all.

ii. If you think not of the Buddha, O monks,
That Lord of the world and Chief of men,
Then do think, O monks, of that Dhamma;
So well preached and leading to Nibbana.

iii. If you think not of the Dhamma, O monks
Well preached and leading to Nibbana;
Then do think, O monks, of that Sangha,
That wonderful field of merit to all.

iv. To those recalling the Buddha supreme,
To those recalling the Dhamma sublime,
And to those recalling the Sangha,
No fear, no terror will make them quiver.
SDC

Post by SDC »

This is a great one about fearlessness that was established on account of ignorance. Not sure if this departs from the purpose of this thread, but it seems anything with respect to heedlessness, intoxication and careless attention (of which there are many suttas about these) can be the supporting condition for one not being afraid of the consequences of bad action or lack of urgency. So I think it would be helpful to remember that the presence of fearlessness could be an indication of a major problem:
Thag 6.9 wrote:I was drunk with the pride of birth
and wealth and authority.
I wandered about intoxicated
with my own gorgeous body.

No-one was my equal or my better—
or so I thought.
I was such an arrogant fool,
stuck up, waving my own flag.

I never paid homage to anyone:
not even my mother or father,
nor others esteemed as respectable.
I was stiff with pride, lacking regard for others.

When I saw the foremost leader,
the most excellent of charioteers,
shining like the sun,
at the fore of the mendicant Saṅgha,

I discarded conceit and vanity,
and, with a clear and confident heart,
I bowed down with my head
to the most excellent of all beings.

The conceit of superiority and the conceit of inferiority
have been given up and eradicated.
The conceit “I am” is cut off,
and every kind of conceit is destroyed.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Good clarification SDC, one can be fearless of karmic effects when doing evil. But that sort is to be avoided.

Fearlessness in doing, thinking & speaking good is what I had in mind.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:29 pm Good clarification SDC, one can be fearless of karmic effects when doing evil. But that sort is to be avoided.

Fearlessness in doing, thinking & speaking good is what I had in mind.
:thumbsup:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Is there an online pdf of an English Only (no Pali) Book of Protection Not by Piyadassi Thera?