Buddhist life being boring ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Re: Buddhist life being boring ?

Post by form »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:10 pm
form wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:31 pm That is a fact. If you want to be an interesting or exciting fellow you will need to register with Mara. :mrgreen:
That's a horrible way of putting it. We do not seek excitement, but the path needs to be interesting.
Without interest in your practice and study, you will never get very far at all.

There is plenty to find interesting and fascinating as you progress along the path.

Cultivating interest is part of the path and related to one of the factors of enlightenment dhamma vicaya or investigation.

Cultivating joy is also pleasurable and interesting.

Developing jhana is interesting.
Seeing the dependent origination is interesting.
Examining the mind and seeing ones attachments is interesting

For fireworks on the path if so desired, one could explore iddhis or supernormal faculties, the mind made body and astral travel.
One can make ones practice more interesting than mundane day to day life in various ways.

Of course it needs to be balanced. Sometimes people find delight in the analytic mind and thinking about dhamma which is just a disguised form of restlessness and agitation.
Common on internet forums if people spend five or ten times more time talking and thinking about dhamma then meditating and practicing.
The idea of renouncing is boring to normal people. Perception of unattractiveness, impermanence, suffering and non self. That do not interest most people. Seeing sense pleasure as a hot iron. They will ask you really? Most of my Buddhist friends do not meditate as well.

I know what you are talking about balanced life. I am a householder and have a routine to exercise, eat, reading nikaya, meditate, sleep, getting to know what is happening around the world, monitoring my investments, reviewing my day etc. I don't really get very excited.

I might get a little more excited if I meet people like you that have some knowledge on meditation.
form

Post by form »

Actually I never felt my life is boring. When I said boring, I meant from other's perspective as I am a boring person.

Just that it is not easy to find people that do the same as me. As I have said, my Buddhist friends do not meditate. They like to gather in big group and talked. I do not find the topics they talked about as important or beneficial.

My lifestyle is more secluded as I want to make progress in my meditation which I find it to be very beneficial. Some monks like to talk to me though. Maybe we have common topics.
Tennok

Post by Tennok »

Boring?

It depends. What is fun, really ? It's like licking honey from a knife blade.

This Path is about rennouncing the senses, so such kind of the fun - sense indulgement, or even mental stimulation by ideas, arts and thoughts, -shall be abandoned, eventually.

But I do believe Dhamma provides great fun of its own. A total, ulitmate fun to replace all the others. :smile:

In old Japan it was normal to become a monk as a sort of philosophical retirement. Fun gets tiresome.

I guess many meditators and teachers had their share of Samsaric fun, before becaming Buddhists. Ajahn Brahm was a hippie. Bhante Sujato was a rock musician. Ashin Teyanya was a party guy, he enjoyed fun and drugs, as a young man, according to his autobiography...

Fun gets tiresome.It gives birth to Dukkha.
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

devaloka wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:38 pm I know this is a controversial topic but I think its a topic that is relevant for many

I just came back from a 2 week retreat and Im back home again.

Even though samsara is an illusion we still are in it.

A life only consisting out of dhamma feels a bit like living a life without colour and sometimes even sanctimonious. The circus of the world can also be entertaining even though that may be foolish in the greater picture. But are we not wasting our time on earth not enjoying our time riding the kuku train with all its vividness and crazyness and only sit on a meditation bench, working jobs for the well behaved and choosing the moral choice all the time? Isnt living a sense restrained life 24/7 a form of conditioning in itself or atleast somewhat dull ?

Ive been able to experience peace thru Buddhism . And as great as it is.. Peace sometimes can be boring.

Buddhism sometimes feels like no fun allowed .

Im curious to you guys view on the matter

:anjali:

when you die, by practicing Buddhism well,
You will excel in 10 things in the
Heavenly realms, beauty, splendor, happiness,
and so on.

indeed, a wise person lives on earth
To practice, to increase virtue,
to practice precepts, to give, and so on.
Just as the most pleasant life is a simple life.

the heavenly realm, the target of
many people is very beautiful, fun,
the enjoyment is endless. Of course,
The Brahmā world is more and Nibbānå.

If in nature humans are lazy to practice religion,
Later if they go to heaven they will only be born
into low-quality heavenly beings.

Dhammapadå 182
"Kicchå manussapaṭilābhå,
Kicchaṃ maccāna-jīvitaṃ.
Kicchaṃ Saddhammassavanaṃ,
Kicchå Buddhānam'uppādå."

"Hard to gain is birth as man;
Hard is the life of mortals;
Hard to get is the opportunity of hearing the Saddhammå,
Hard it is for a Buddhås to appear."
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In Burmese, they use the same word for "Lazy" as they do for "Bored."
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:03 am In Burmese, they use the same word for "Lazy" as they do for "Bored."
:anjali:
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
form

Post by form »

Probably more of peaceful than the word boring.