Two Truths

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

The Two Truths

The Buddha taught that there are two truths.
22%
The Buddha didn’t teach the concept, but it’s an implication of his teachings.
37%
The Buddha didn’t teach the concept and it’s not an implication of his teachings.
41%

Total votes: 27

Ceisiwr

Re: Two Truths

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:55 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:04 am auto:

"Those ascetics and brahmins who regard anything as self in various ways all regard as self the five aggregates subject to clinging, or a certain one among them." (SN 22.47)

"Any kind of form whatsoever, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near, all form should be seen as it really is with correct wisdom thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’" [same with the other aggregates: feeling, perception, volitional formations, consciousness] (SN 22.59)
Yes, i take khandhas as my self. Any problem with that?
I am aware how people can twist things to sound like it is something you can simply put down. Namely using some idea defining things like mundane and conventional - which likely even not comply with the original meaning of two truths.
Nothing except it will be a condition for dukkha (taking the aggregates as self) since you can't do that without first grasping them, which itself is based on craving.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

craving doesnt exis and Bubba doesnt exis
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
auto

Post by auto »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:19 pm ..
ok the two views.
The mundane refers to the transmigrating within this life - jhāna practice. Mundane simply means restraint and restraint derived result. Supramundane are mundane deeds what doesn't bring result, instead they are path and its fruit.
https://suttacentral.net/an3.34/en/sujato wrote:So a wise person,
Tasmā lobhañca dosañca,
a mendicant arousing knowledge
mohajañcāpi viddasu;
of the outcome of greed, hate, and delusion,
Vijjaṁ uppādayaṁ bhikkhu,
would cast off all bad destinies.”
sabbā duggatiyo jahe”ti.
As per these quotes one need know the outcome of greed. How it becomes known is when the deeds done based on greed will be experienced no other place than this same life(ref to jhāna), at some point then the ignorant will arouse knowledge and attains path fruit. Path fruit is casting off
the bad destinies.
https://suttacentral.net/an3.34/en/sujato wrote:When an ignorant person acts
Lobhajaṁ dosajañceva,
out of greed, hate, or delusion,
mohajañcāpaviddasu;
any deeds they have performed
Yaṁ tena pakataṁ kammaṁ,
—whether a little or a lot—
appaṁ vā yadi vā bahuṁ;
are to be experienced right here,
Idheva taṁ vedaniyaṁ,
not in any other place.
vatthu aññaṁ na vijjati.
auto

Post by auto »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:03 pm Nothing except it will be a condition for dukkha (taking the aggregates as self) since you can't do that without first grasping them, which itself is based on craving.
Nope. It means i'm still a game and able to cultivate and meditate and bring forth a fruit. Restraint itself will make craving available to be reckoned.
auto

Post by auto »

sphairos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:29 pm craving doesnt exis and Bubba doesnt exis
Nope, buddha is a satta. Enlightened being. One attains enlightenment.
People just mistaking everyday person(who doesn't do anything) with the term mundane used in the Suttas. Albeit from an another person perspective you can judge from the actions what that person does, what will be the destination.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:46 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:03 pm Nothing except it will be a condition for dukkha (taking the aggregates as self) since you can't do that without first grasping them, which itself is based on craving.
Nope. It means i'm still a game and able to cultivate and meditate and bring forth a fruit. Restraint itself will make craving available to be reckoned.
Taking the aggregates to be self doesn't mean you can't meditate or generate and experience the result of kamma. Those who follow Vedanta still meditate, and likely can reach Jhāna too.
auto

Post by auto »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:59 pm
Taking the aggregates to be self doesn't mean you can't meditate or generate and experience the result of kamma. Those who follow Vedanta still meditate, and likely can reach Jhāna too.
Yes, the best thing about meditation i found from a hindu-like book. mainly how to backcheck(physical evidence) if what you do is going to bring any result in the future. Since you can sit, you still need know what to do and it can take a long time before you get result so there comes the factor of faith in what you do and knowing to check signs will give you the faith.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:10 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:59 pm
Yes, the best thing about meditation i found from a hindu-like book. mainly how to backcheck(physical evidence) if what you do is going to bring any result in the future. Since you can sit, you still need know what to do and it can take a long time before you get result so there comes the factor of faith in what you do and knowing to check signs will give you the faith.
Perhaps a Hindu forum would be better for you then?
auto

Post by auto »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:12 pm Perhaps a Hindu forum would be better for you then?
Name one, or you are one of those bad bosses who just fires?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

auto wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:18 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:12 pm Perhaps a Hindu forum would be better for you then?
I used to post here some time ago. It's quite good: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/
auto

Post by auto »

Ceisiwr wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:24 pm
I used to post here some time ago. It's quite good: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/
thanks
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

auto wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:57 pm
sphairos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:29 pm craving doesnt exis and Bubba doesnt exis
Nope, buddha is a satta. Enlightened being. One attains enlightenment.
People just mistaking everyday person(who doesn't do anything) with the term mundane used in the Suttas. Albeit from an another person perspective you can judge from the actions what that person does, what will be the destination.
I was just kidding. I was talking about "Bubba" Smith, Hightower from the Police Academy

How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

https://www.religiousforums.com/forums/hinduism-dir.13/
Buddha save me from new-agers!
auto

Post by auto »

sphairos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:59 pm .
nice
auto

Post by auto »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:05 pm
https://www.religiousforums.com/forums/hinduism-dir.13/
will bookmark