What is mindfulness of death?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mjaviem

What is mindfulness of death?

Post by mjaviem »

Does it mean to keep always in mind that we are going to die or is it about contemplation of corpses or what? I think it's the first one.

I'd like to keep in mind The Simile of the Mountain:
SN 3.25 Thanissaro wrote: ...
“I inform you, great king, I announce to you, great king: aging & death are rolling in on you. When aging & death are rolling in on you, what should be done?”

“As aging & death are rolling in on me, lord, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: What is mindfulness of death?

Post by Sam Vara »

AN 6.19 and 6.20 give the Buddha's detailed instruction on this:
https://suttacentral.net/an6.19/en/sujato

https://suttacentral.net/an6.20/en/sujato
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

It's one of the most neglected practices especially in Western Budddhism. We are insulated from death by the media and society.
It should go hand in hand with mindfulness of breathing.
Contemplation of anicca is best discerned through this practice.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/patrick-s ... id=6580801
patrick-swayze-lisa-niemi.jpg
07.jpg
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

mindfulness of life
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

sunnat wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 am mindfulness of life
What do you mean?
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Be mindful in present life as if death is the next present. 'all composed things have the nature of decomposing (anicca)' - be diligently mindful of that. Always. That is the training.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

You simply reflect upon how you could die at any time, even in the next second. It's not something that is done simply on the cushion. It's a practice that can be done as you are going about your normal day.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Mindfulness is to commit an object to memory, and to notice it as a driver of action. To notice it is to understand its effects in presence and absence. The contemplation of death can also help the practitioner reflect on the nature of choices where none is pleasant. We have the choice of either dying or being reborn. Understanding the four noble truths ends kamma. Ending kamma ends rebirth into aging, decay aging and death.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

I think it's more about the desire to practise. To practise mindfulness of death is to develop the desire to end the defilements as explained in the suttas quoted by our dear Sam Vara. In my case practising fully is more of a plan than an actual practice (I meditate irregularly, I don't put all my effort in practising the N8F, etc.). So to be mindful of death means to make it not a plan but an actual desire to practise right now.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

It can be whatever you want, baby.

Practice either and see what works.
denise

Post by denise »

:bow:
Anatta777

Post by Anatta777 »

I think it's to remind us to have an urgency to not hold off practice and to be mindful of minute faults, for the time of death is unknown.

The Buddha also said that so we wouldn't have regrets at the time of death.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Good responses.

I think the key is that since death could be as close as the next in breath, it always has that immediate significance. So it isn’t so much about contemplating an event in time to be ready for how much it will hurt or how terrifying it will be, but more about seeing the present life as completely enveloped in the certainty of that fundamental change of death.

That knowledge generates dispassion here and now, and within that dispassion and urgency there is a clear sight to what unskillful qualities remain, and it is grounds to bring the defilements to an end. So, yes, incidentally it will prepare you for those final moments, but the point of the contemplation is to create dispassionate grounds for work right here and now.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
mjaviem

Re:

Post by mjaviem »

sunnat wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:57 am Be mindful in present life as if death is the next present. 'all composed things have the nature of decomposing (anicca)' - be diligently mindful of that. Always. That is the training.
Ok, but it's not only to know next is death, to reflect "I might die of many causes".

It is to reflect whether there are unskillful qualities not given up yet and "apply outstanding enthusiasm, effort, zeal, vigor, perseverance, mindfulness, and situational awareness" to give them up (the same as for extinguishing fire if our clothes were on fire). (AN 6.20)

It's not only to know next is death but to desire to practise, to wish to pratise if only for "as long as it takes to chew and swallow a single mouthful" if you agree.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

SDC wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:11 pm Good responses.

I think the key is that since death could be as close as the next in breath, it always has that immediate significance. So it isn’t so much about contemplating an event in time to be ready for how much it will hurt or how terrifying it will be, but more about seeing the present life as completely enveloped in the certainty of that fundamental change of death.

That knowledge generates dispassion here and now, and within that dispassion and urgency there is a clear sight to what unskillful qualities remain, and it is grounds to bring the defilements to an end. So, yes, incidentally it will prepare you for those final moments, but the point of the contemplation is to create dispassionate grounds for work right here and now.
Yeah but you can be aware that death is close and not give rise to the desire to practise. If you don't wish to practise you are not really "mindful of death" and you are being negligent. The key is the wish to practise for the abandonment of defilements or train in skillful qualities right now before time 's up.