So there can be two truths?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

There are as many different, contradictory truths as are proclaimed by countless individuals which are judged as being correct or incorrect by various machinations, eg reason, law, science, and there is an Ultimate Truth, The Dhamma and Nibbana, which is proclaimed by The Buddha's and expressed in various ways according to the nature of various individuals and can be perceived to be correct by direct personal experience. At around or after entering the stream, faith in The Dhamma becomes increasingly pivotal. Truth begets faith which in turn reveals the truth.
Ontheway

Re: So there can be two truths?

Post by Ontheway »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:04 pm
Ontheway wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:34 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Auto is one of our resident eternalists. He believes in an atta and that the Buddha taught such a thing.
Really? Auto believes that there is "Atta"? :o

Well, if that is the case, I don't know what to say.
It's just unfortunate for auto to have persistent wrong views. I tried, gave up on teaching him/her. One can take this as one of the evidence that some people have a lot of dust in their (wisdom) eyes.

:focus:
SarathW wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:12 am So there can be two truths!

Generally, we say that there is only one truth however it seems there are two truths.
The Buddhist doctrine of the two truths (Wylie: bden pa gnyis) differentiates between two levels of satya (Sanskrit; Pali: sacca; word meaning truth or reality) in the teaching of the Buddha: the "conventional" or "provisional" (saṁvṛti) truth, and the "ultimate" (paramārtha) truth.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_truths_doctrine
The 2 truths is used differently in different traditions. For the Early Buddhist texts people, they rather not to employ this terminology, rather to distinguish between things which should be understood literally vs metaphorically. Which is most directly applied to the teaching of no self. Whenever the Buddha said all phenomenon are not self, it's to be regarded as literally, when Buddha refers to I, a being, you, etc, it's meant to be understood metaphorically, which is why the discussion above goes to discussing no self. Wise people sees this right view, fools inverts them and harm themselves as well as others.

In Theravada, with the Abhidhamma added, the ultimate truth is commonly referred to what's analysed, broken down, in Abhidhamma, like the 121 cittas, 52 cetasikas, a lot of rupas and Nibbana as the ultimates, the stuffs which citta, cetasikas and rupa group together to form are conventional truth, only given the label of a person for convenience. Basically, not that different from Early Buddhist Texts.

However, from Early Mahayana onwards, the Middle way doctrine by Nagajurna seems to be a push back against Sarvastivada Abhidhamma school which might had cling onto the smallest units of analysis listed above as ultimately real. So the Mahayana push back the ultimate truth to just be emptiness (no self), which includes emptiness of dhammas (not just self), which actually if you look back to Early Buddhist text, and the suttas, all phenomenon (dhammas) are not self, is already in there, but the Mahayana mistakenly thinks the "Hinayana" school they are correcting doesn't have it.

So ultimate truth is emptiness, nothing much could be said about it. Conventional truth remains the same of using the language of self, without mistakenly clinging onto self as truly existing.

We need both so that even after one awakened as arahant, one can still use conventional truth to function in the world, without being deluded by it.
:goodpost:
:anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
justindesilva

Re:

Post by justindesilva »

sunnat wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:34 am

There are as many different, contradictory truths as are proclaimed by countless individuals which are judged as being correct or incorrect by various machinations, eg reason, law, science, and there is an Ultimate Truth, The Dhamma and Nibbana, which is proclaimed by The Buddha's and expressed in various ways according to the nature of various individuals and can be perceived to be correct by direct personal experience. At around or after entering the stream, faith in The Dhamma becomes increasingly pivotal. Truth begets faith which in turn reveals the truth.
The flow of energy in the cosmos as explained by lord budda is shown as sammuti satya and arya satya. The objects around us that we see as forms (rupa) enter in to our brain as visualized by our consciousness, but not exactly the same and called as illusions. They are our interpretation of signals through nose, ears, eyes and skin contact. They are smell, sound,forms, and feeling (pottabba). We have conceptualised names as music or words, pictures or people streams, sea etc, based on our past. Yet they are different from its actual energy when an arya puggala will interpret the same as seen by their abingja or third eye. That same thing seen by
a putagjana as a conceopt is seen by an arya puggala in its element (dhatu) form to differentiate it as two truths called sammuti satya and arya satya.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

mjaviem wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am :roll: here we go again...

Already 5-pages again.

:jumping:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
un8-

Post by un8- »

Ontheway wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 am I think there was a previous board dedicated for this topic...I don't think we need to start over again.

Anyway, a "Being" is conventional sense.
In ultimate sense, it is none other than "Five Aggregates". One who understands this, will not mess up with Sassata Ditthi and Uccheda Ditthi.

:anjali: :buddha2:
A being is not the five aggregates. A being is craving and asavas that is bound to the five aggregates, it's the glue.

Arahants are not beings, even though they have the aggregates.

Hence the sutta that says an Arahant is like someone cutting the skin off a cow, removing the ligaments, and putting the skin back on the cow.

So a being is not the aggregates, a being is the binding.
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

SarathW wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:12 am So there can be two truths!
By mere assertion there can be countless truths. Just assert the number that pleases you. :shrug:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

SteRo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:00 pm ...there can be countless truths...

Yes.

:heart:
    V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
zan

Post by zan »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:33 am
mjaviem wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am here we go again...

Already 5-pages again.

Why is this standard teaching being discussed as if it is a very subjective, mysterious ideal that is totally vague and up for interpretation? Why are Mahayana answers being posted? Seriously, what is happening? The commentators who invented it also explained it perfectly and in depth. There is no mystery, and no interpretation needed. I understand the initial question by op, but it should have been finished by a few replies referencing where this question is already answered conclusively.

I would understand if there was a sutta or two where the Buddha said there are two truths, but didn't explain, and no other reference in the canon. But, quite the opposite, as I said above, the Buddha didn't teach it at all, and the commentarial Abhidhamma created it, and explained it in great detail. This is weird.

What's next? Someone asks "What are the four paramattha dhammas?" And we get five pages of people guessing and posting whatever they think this may mean, and ignoring that the paramatthas are another standardized Abhidhamma teaching with a clear answer? "I think four paramattha dhammas may be Buddha's way of saying four ways to be a nice happy person. Maybe each one is an idea like: 1.) 'Be nice.' 2.) 'Wear a fancy hat.' 3.) 'Eat your vegetables.' 4.) Avoid dragons."

And every time someone answers correctly, "mind, mental factors, matter and nibbana." it will be ignored and wild guesses and extrapolation will go on lol!
Last edited by zan on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

zan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:38 pm
mjaviem wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am here we go again...
Already 5-pages again.
... There is no mystery, ...
Exactly. There is no mystery. It even literally solves many mysteries for me, regarding Dhamma.
    V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
zan

Post by zan »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:29 pm
Ontheway wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:25 pm ...
Auto is one of our resident eternalists. He believes in an atta and that the Buddha taught such a thing.
You seem to find his position as invalid because it wasn't taught by the Buddha of the suttas. However, the Buddha taught atta (Sanskrit atman) as Buddha nature in the Mahayana sutras, just as he taught Prajnaparamita in the same sutras. Might your position on auto be unfair since you both accept Mahayana teachings?
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:11 pmI've recently begun taking the Prajñāpāramitā sutras seriously, and re-reading the Mūlamadhyamakakārikā.
The sutra presents the Buddha-nature or tathagatagarbha as a "Self". The Mahāparinirvāṇa Sūtra refers to a true self. "The Mahāyāna Mahāparinirvāṅa Sūtra, especially influential in East Asian Buddhist thought, goes so far as to speak of it as our true self (ātman).
-Wikipedia page on Buddha Nature
The word Prajñāpāramitā combines the Sanskrit words prajñā "wisdom" with pāramitā "perfection". Prajñāpāramitā is a central concept in Mahāyāna Buddhism and is generally associated with the doctrine of emptiness (Śūnyatā) or 'lack of Svabhāva' (essence) and the works of Nāgārjuna. Its practice and understanding are taken to be indispensable elements of the Bodhisattva path.

According to Edward Conze, the Prajñāpāramitā Sūtras are "a collection of about forty texts ... composed somewhere on the Indian subcontinent between approximately 100 BC and AD 600."[1] Some Prajnāpāramitā sūtras are thought to be among the earliest Mahāyāna sūtras.[2][3]
-Wikipedia page on Prajnaparamita
There's no reason for two on the same Bodhisattva path to be at odds.

I'd recommend either you both agree that each of your positions is valid as Mahayana, or, ideally, and the best path, both give up Mahayana and stick to strictly Theravada. In Theravada there is no self, and no prajnaparamita sutras, so your disagreement would cease to exist.
Ceisiwr wrote:We don’t need Mahayana nonsense preaching here
Last edited by zan on Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
zan

Post by zan »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:56 pm
zan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:38 pm
Already 5-pages again.
... There is no mystery, ...
Exactly. There is no mystery. It even literally solves many mysteries for me, regarding Dhamma.
Indeed. They are useful tools.

-Y. Karunadasa
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

zan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:17 pm ...
The sutra presents the Buddha-nature or tathagatagarbha as a "Self". The Mahāparinirvāṇa Sūtra refers to a true self. "The Mahāyāna Mahāparinirvāṅa Sūtra, especially influential in East Asian Buddhist thought, goes so far as to speak of it as our true self (ātman).

Thanks.

I just quoted that wiki entry here:
    V. Nanananda

V. Buddhādasa
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

zan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:17 pm

You seem to find his position as invalid because it wasn't taught by the Buddha of the suttas. However, the Buddha taught atta (Sanskrit atman) as Buddha nature in the Mahayana sutras, just as he taught Prajnaparamita in the same sutras. Might your position on auto be unfair since you both accept Mahayana teachings?
Well I don’t think the Buddha taught the Mahāyāna sutras for one. That’s just ahistorical, but I do think they contain buddhavacana. I also don’t accept the Tathāgatagarbha idea. From what I know of it I think it’s wrong or simply unnecessary, and I don’t feel any compulsion to accept it. I don’t think someone needs to adopt that idea to follow the middle way of the Perfection of Wisdom and Ven. Nāgārjuna. I’m also not a follower of Mahāyāna.
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:11 pmI've recently begun taking the Prajñāpāramitā sutras seriously, and re-reading the Mūlamadhyamakakārikā.
There's no reason for two on the same Bodhisattva path to be at odds.
I’m not a bodhisattva and nor do I intend to take those vows.
I'd recommend either you both agree that each of your positions is valid as Mahayana, or, ideally, and the best path, both give up Mahayana and stick to strictly Theravada. In Theravada there is no self, and no prajnaparamita sutras, so your disagreement would cease to exist.
Not that I am one, but Mahāyānists don’t agree on everything. Buddha-nature being one of those points of disagreements, based on my rather limited understanding.
Ceisiwr wrote:We don’t need Mahayana nonsense preaching here
It is the nature of conditioned things to change ;)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
zan

Post by zan »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:24 pm
zan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:17 pm ...

Thanks.

I just quoted that wiki entry here:
You are our resident expert on self refutation and I'm glad we have you!

-Y. Karunadasa
asahi

Post by asahi »

Forget about how many Truths ! Asking this making you more deluded , you only need to end suffering . According to Gotama teachings you are only to follow the N8FP .
No bashing No gossiping