Iti 63

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: Iti 63

Post by Ceisiwr »

un8- wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:45 pm
You don't actually experience Impermanence sensualy though. Instability/Anicca is a concept not an experience. For example, you experience colours that's sensual. Understanding that objects coming in and out, arising and ceasing, out of experiencs (anicca) is logical and conceptual. So that conceiving isn't based on the senses.
We could get bogged down in semantics regarding just what is meant by "experience", but let's put that to the side for a moment. I agree with you that impermanence is a concept that we fashion, but since it is said that impermanence is a type of sañña it would then follow that all forms of sañña are concepts. That to sañjānāti is to conceptualise. With that in mind then I would reply to this

"It's subtle so I'll try to clarify again.

You sensually experience with your eye colours, that's all, anything beyond that is conceptual.

To your eye, all it sees is colours, it doesn't see "chair", the mind makes a logical conceptual outline around one set of colours (object) vs another set of colours (background). Without this layer of abstraction you could not understand anicca. So anicca is not a sensual mental image, it's a logical one."

by arguing that the colours are also concepts. Your view here is also textbook Abhidhamma, by the way.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
un8-

Re: Iti 63

Post by un8- »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:00 pm
by arguing that the colours are also concepts.
Yes colours are also concepts.
Your view here is also textbook Abhidhamma, by the way.
Cool.
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.