yes
29%

Total votes: 7

DNS
Site Admin

Re: is sex bad?

Post by DNS »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 pm
bpallister wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 pm I am an incel … is that good?
at least you have no regret
I could have, should have
however dispassion is the goal
Incel is short for involuntarily celibate, so I think there would be some regret; regret that they are not having a regular sexual relationship. And that could hurt the person psychologically, with frustration and disappointment.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i'm trying to go from incel to volcel
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DNS wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:16 am I think there would be some regret;
they don't regret not acting on opportunity

which could have led to something
form

Post by form »

Is eating a chocolate bad?
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

what ever serves.. but it does seem the interest decreases as mindfulness increases, or becomes less important.

you wouldn't be here practicing with or as buddha if your mother hadn't raised you.

samadhi is better. and also just different obviously it can be enjoyable, perhaps also spiritual

but the craving sex can be a huge obstacle, huge, for short pleasure
causing suffering unnecessarily.
:buddha1:
auto

Post by auto »

salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:02 am
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.159.than.html wrote: "This body comes into being through sexual intercourse. Sexual intercourse is to be abandoned. With regard to sexual intercourse, the Buddha declares the cutting off of the bridge.
try this,
https://suttacentral.net/an4.159/en/sujato wrote:This body is produced by sex.
Methunasambhūto ayaṁ, bhagini, kāyo.
The Buddha spoke of breaking off everything to do with sex.
Methune ca setughāto vutto bhagavatā.
Everything to do with sex is the dhamma what arises: sensual pleasures, sensual perceptions and sensual thoughts.
https://suttacentral.net/mn22/en/sujato wrote:Truly, mendicants, it’s not possible to perform sensual acts without sensual pleasures, sensual perceptions, and sensual thoughts.
So vata, bhikkhave, aññatreva kāmehi aññatra kāmasaññāya aññatra kāmavitakkehi kāme paṭisevissatīti—netaṁ ṭhānaṁ vijjati.
these sensual pleasures.. are the obstructions what come with the obstructive acts(copulation),
https://suttacentral.net/mn22/en/sujato wrote:For in many ways I have said that obstructive acts are obstructive …
Anekapariyāyena hi kho, bhikkhave, antarāyikā dhammā vuttā mayā, alañca pana te paṭisevato antarāyāya.
bridge,
https://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/s/setu/ wrote:Concise Pali-English Dictionary by A.P. Buddhadatta Mahathera
setu:[m.] a bridge.
PTS Pali-English dictionary The Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary
--kāraka a bridge-maker,one who paves the way
by abandoning sexual intercourse these sensual pleasures, sensual perceptions, sensual thoughts are cut. It is the dhamma, a teaching
https://suttacentral.net/mn22/en/sujato wrote: By understanding the simile of the raft, you will even give up the teachings, let alone what is against the teachings.
Kullūpamaṁ vo, bhikkhave, dhammaṁ desitaṁ, ājānantehi dhammāpi vo pahātabbā pageva adhammā.
if teaching is not given up, it's what constitutes the wrong grasp,
https://suttacentral.net/mn22/en/sujato wrote:Riding on the raft, and paddling with my hands and feet, I have safely crossed over to the far shore.
imāhaṁ kullaṁ nissāya hatthehi ca pādehi ca vāyamamāno sotthinā pāraṁ uttiṇṇo.
Why don’t I hoist it on my head or pick it up on my shoulder and go wherever I want?’
Yannūnāhaṁ imaṁ kullaṁ sīse vā āropetvā khandhe vā uccāretvā yena kāmaṁ pakkameyyan’ti.
What do you think, mendicants?
Taṁ kiṁ maññatha, bhikkhave,
Would that person be doing what should be done with that raft?”
api nu so puriso evaṅkārī tasmiṁ kulle kiccakārī assā”ti?

“No, sir.”
“No hetaṁ, bhante”.
sensual pleasures, sensual perceptions, sensual thoughts are the dhamma, bridge, raft what are to be abandoned after you have crossed over.
https://suttacentral.net/mn22/en/sujato wrote: “And what, mendicants, should that person do with the raft?
“Kathaṅkārī ca so, bhikkhave, puriso tasmiṁ kulle kiccakārī assa?
When they’d crossed over they should think,
Idha, bhikkhave, tassa purisassa uttiṇṇassa pāraṅgatassa evamassa:
‘This raft has been very helpful to me. …
‘bahukāro kho me ayaṁ kullo;
imāhaṁ kullaṁ nissāya hatthehi ca pādehi ca vāyamamāno sotthinā pāraṁ uttiṇṇo.
Why don’t I beach it on dry land or set it adrift on the water and go wherever I want?’
Yannūnāhaṁ imaṁ kullaṁ thale vā ussādetvā udake vā opilāpetvā yena kāmaṁ pakkameyyan’ti.
That’s what that person should do with the raft.
Evaṅkārī kho so, bhikkhave, puriso tasmiṁ kulle kiccakārī assa.
The Nun in Nun quarters have had crossed over already, but were committing to a mistake of not getting rid of the raft or cutting off the bridge.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Burning with passion and delight. If liberation is the goal, it is not good.
"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust,...

"The ear is burning, sounds are burning...

"The nose is burning, odors are burning...

"The tongue is burning, flavors are burning...

"The body is burning, tangibles are burning...

"The mind is burning, ideas are burning, mind-consciousness is burning, mind-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with mind-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust...

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated. He understands: 'Birth is exhausted, the holy life has been lived out, what can be done is done, of this there is no more beyond.'"
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
form

Post by form »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:33 pm
form wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:26 pm
DNS wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:09 pm Is it my eyes, my computer? I see only two options "yes" and "yes" in this poll. Was that intentional or an error?
It just means that sex is 100% bad :mrgreen:
Well, I'm glad the Buddha's parents had sex otherwise the current Dispensation may not have come to be yet. :tongue:

So, perhaps, not 100% bad.
What about Hitler's parents? :mrgreen:
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

"Bad" isn't inherently bad and "good" isn't inherently good. So "bad" may be good at times and "good" may be bad at times.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Anatta777

Post by Anatta777 »

I think sex is only good for procreation. Other than that it's just a vice like drugs and alcohol.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

As a general rule, sex is good. It has a biological basis that is largely unforced by external factors. This makes it pleasurable when accompanied with other conditions that is often described as "the right conditions" necessary to confirm its goodness.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

form wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:07 am Is eating a chocolate bad?
this, if intended as such, is a false equivalency
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
form

Post by form »

Sex is bad because it drains off vitality.
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Answer largely depends on one's spiritual level.