Rain due to Gods ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Re: Rain due to Gods ?

Post by form »

There are magic practitioners available in my area that can guarantee no rain in an area of 1km square for holding important outdoors event. Their asking fee is around usd2000. From what I heard if weather forecast is heavy rain, they can make that 1km square no rain although outside that area will be raining heavily. I only heard about it but I have never engaged them before.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Do you think whatever supernormal happenings described in the suttas are
but delusion ?

Here is an example of "out of science box" in vinaya regarding gods & deities etc . Not everything we dont know is superstitious . Such as many type of ghost & hell realms ;
also about type of Jhana and nibbana .
Dont be over confident as thing may turns out to be otherwise or unexpected .

A Certain Monk’s Story
A monk, while cutting down a tree with an axe to make a dwelling for himself, accidentally severed the arm of a tree deity’s child. She grew angry and wanted to kill him, but she controlled her anger, reflecting that she would be reborn in hell if she killed a virtuous man, and that other deities would also kill monks in future following her bad example. Instead, she reported the matter to the Buddha, who praised her self-restraint and uttered the above verse. On the conclusion of the verse, the deity was established in Stream-winning. The Buddha pointed out an empty tree at Jetavana near his Perfumed Chamber, and she took up residence there. This occasion was the reason for the laying down of the rule for monks regarding damaging plants.
No bashing No gossiping
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

form wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:57 am There are magic practitioners available in my area that can guarantee no rain in an area of 1km square for holding important outdoors event. Their asking fee is around usd2000. From what I heard if weather forecast is heavy rain, they can make that 1km square no rain although outside that area will be raining heavily. I only heard about it but I have never engaged them before.
I have also heard of similar such things actually. Im sure its not the same group, but a personal friend of mine said he witnessed a similar feat from someone first hand, he was also backed up by several people who were there. I have no reason to believe my friend and the other people in that group making that claim was lying or were tricked.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta