Goal of Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

Goal of Buddhism

Post by befriend »

Can greed hate and delusion be eradicated from our conciousness? Is that the goal of Buddhism, or is it not identifying with greed hate and delusion.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Ceisiwr

Re: Goal of Buddhism

Post by Ceisiwr »

To end existence.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm To end existence.
The goal of Buddhism is not annihilation this is Buddhist heresy...

See: https://accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors ... bbana.html
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Tangent-Man wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm To end existence.
The goal of Buddhism is not annihilation this is Buddhist heresy...

See: https://accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors ... bbana.html
Annihilation is the view that “I” will cease. Instead we should see it as

"There is no I, nor anything belonging to me, I will not be, what belongs to me will not be. What has earlier [come to] exist, will be extinguished"

MĀ 75
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

“Uddaka Rāmaputta had this view and taught like this, “Existence is an illness, a tumour, a thorn. Those who advocate nonperception are foolish. Those who have realized [know]: this is tranquil, this is sublime, namely attaining the sphere of neither-perception-nor-nonperception.”

The Discourse on Uddaka [Rāmaputta] - MĀ 114

The only thing Uddaka got wrong was thinking of this in terms of a self, and so he got stuck on neither-perception-nor-nonperception.
un8-

Post by un8- »

befriend wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:31 pm Can greed hate and delusion be eradicated from our conciousness? Is that the goal of Buddhism, or is it not identifying with greed hate and delusion.
The goal is to stop suffering by stopping craving.

I believe greed, hatred, and delusion can be eradicated. There's people who have had enough of existence and they go live in the woods or commit suicide, but if they knew the Buddha dhamma and the noble eightfold path, then perhaps they would choose it as a superior strategy.
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

befriend wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:31 pm Can greed hate and delusion be eradicated from our conciousness? Is that the goal of Buddhism, or is it not identifying with greed hate and delusion.
That's the ultimate goal
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

No. From our heart. Not our consciousness. The goal is that Consciousness remains unsullied by the asavas in our heart. Like, literally in our physical heart. Search your heart for the answers.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think the end goal of Buddhism is to end suffering (Dukkha). (not end pain)
You end pain and suffering when you attain final Nibbana I suppose.
Buddha said that the five clinging-aggregate is Dukkha.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

The ultimate goal is Nibbana.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
jons

Post by jons »

Nibbana = Santi + Piti = Permanent peace and bliss

Jons
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Depends on who you ask. I think both. But, before wondering about that, I think one has to find out the meaning of greed, hatred, and delusion first. And, since you used consciousness in your post--that too--pesky word, with many interpretations.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

The goal of the Buddha was this -freedom from ageing, illness, death, sorrow. Are yours the same? Isn't this the problem of existence?
"And what may be said to be subject to birth? Spouses & children are subject to birth. Men & women slaves... goats & sheep... fowl & pigs... elephants, cattle, horses, & mares... gold & silver are subject to birth. Subject to birth are these acquisitions, and one who is tied to them, infatuated with them, who has totally fallen for them, being subject to birth, seeks what is likewise subject to birth.

"And what may be said to be subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement? Spouses & children... men & women slaves... goats & sheep... fowl & pigs... elephants, cattle, horses, & mares... gold & silver [2] are subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement. Subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement are these acquisitions, and one who is tied to them, infatuated with them, who has totally fallen for them, being subject to birth, seeks what is likewise subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement. This is ignoble search.

"And what is the noble search? There is the case where a person, himself being subject to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, seeks the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. Himself being subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeks the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, undefiled, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. This is the noble search.
"I, too, monks, before my Awakening, when I was an unawakened bodhisatta, being subject myself to birth, sought what was likewise subject to birth. Being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, I sought [happiness in] what was likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement. The thought occurred to me, 'Why do I, being subject myself to birth, seek what is likewise subject to birth? Being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, why do I seek what is likewise subject to illness... death... sorrow... defilement? What if I, being subject myself to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, were to seek the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding? What if I, being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, were to seek the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less,, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding?'
"Then, monks, being subject myself to birth, seeing the drawbacks of birth, seeking the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke, Unbinding, I reached the unborn, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. Being subject myself to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeking the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, unexcelled rest from the yoke, Unbinding, I reached the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. Knowledge & vision arose in me: 'Unprovoked is my release. This is the last birth. There is now no further becoming.'
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

The world or life has no ultimate goal or purpose. The teachings of the Buddha are formed in dependence on this fact. The lack of ultimate purpose/goal in the world continues whether the Buddha arises in the world or not. As such, the Buddha's teachings are designed to end the vicious circle of rebirth and death.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Isn't the goal liberation from suffering?
Buddha save me from new-agers!