Sammā-samādhi

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Sammā-samādhi

Post by SarathW »

Pondera wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:42 am
SarathW wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 am
samseva wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:39 am
You can't walk while in jhāna. This opinion is based on a single obscure passage, of only one Sutta—which is likely mistranslated.
Samadhi and Jhana are two different things.
Nawp!!! Exactly incorrect.

Right Concentration is by definition the four material jhanas. Google “what is right concentration Buddhism” and you will get a link to the sutta supporting the idea that samma samadhi is jhana. I have illustrated this point to you before. You haven’t seemed to gotten it. :shrug:
"And what is right concentration? There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful (mental) qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. With the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters & remains in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of composure, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. With the fading of rapture, he remains equanimous, mindful, & alert, and senses pleasure with the body. He enters & remains in the third jhana, of which the Noble Ones declare, 'Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.' With the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — he enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither pleasure nor pain. This is called right concentration."

— SN 45.8
Maybe you are correct but there is Samadi Sutta and Jhana Sutta as two different Suttas.
Did Buddha say that sound is a thorn to Jhana?
However sound may not be an issue for Samadhi.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

samseva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:50 am
Pondera wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:42 am [...]
I do agree with you that the statement isn't exactly correct (jhāna is still samādhi), however, did you read the rest of the thread? There are other instances in the Suttas where sammā-samādhi is defined differently than the usual definition of simply being the four jhānas.
Could you reference a couple of suttas where samma samadhi is described other than the jhanas?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
JohnSo

Post by JohnSo »

Just make it short, the word 'Samma', means 'Right' or 'Correct'.

It is correct (according to The Buddha's concept) when it is inline with The Satipatthana or Mahasatipatthana Sutta. The object of meditation should be our physical body, feelings, thoughts & the truth (Dhamma). And what we should do is only observing the Three Mark of Existence of those four (body, feeling, thought & Dhamma).

If the object is something external or enjoying our feelings or thoughts then it is not correct. Not correct according to The Buddha teachings. But maybe correct in another concepts.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Spiny Norman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:00 am Could you reference a couple of suttas where samma samadhi is described other than the jhanas?
https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?p=650221#p650221
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:05 am This has come up a few times, so I thought it would be good to discuss it. Many times the Buddha taught that liberation depends upon the NEFP, the last factor of which is sammā-samādhi (Right Concentration). My question then is, what does “sammā” mean in sammā-samādhi? What makes a samādhi right or wrong? The experience itself, or how it is viewed and used or both (or something else)? How do you understand it?
"Monks, I will teach you the Dhamma compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

"Monks, where a self or what belongs to self are not pinned down as a truth or reality, then the view-position — 'This cosmos is the self. After death this I will be constant, permanent, eternal, not subject to change. I will stay just like that for an eternity' — Isn't it utterly & completely a fool's teaching?"

"What else could it be, lord? It's utterly & completely a fool's teaching."

"What do you think, monks — Is form constant or inconstant?" "Inconstant, lord." "And is that which is inconstant easeful or stressful?" "Stressful, lord." "And is it fitting to regard what is inconstant, stressful, subject to change as: 'This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am'?"

"No, lord."

"...Is feeling constant or inconstant?" "Inconstant, lord."...

"...Is perception constant or inconstant?" "Inconstant, lord."...

"...Are fabrications constant or inconstant?" "Inconstant, lord."...

"What do you think, monks — Is consciousness constant or inconstant?" "Inconstant, lord." "And is that which is inconstant easeful or stressful?" "Stressful, lord." "And is it fitting to regard what is inconstant, stressful, subject to change as: 'This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am'?"

"No, lord."

"Thus, monks, any form whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...

"Any perception whatsoever...

"Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Seeing thus, the instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with form, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.'

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html