Are cloths I am wearing, a part of my Nama-Rupa?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ontheway

Re: Are cloths I am wearing, a part of my Nama-Rupa?

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:31 am
Ontheway wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:54 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:36 am How can we apply Nama-Rupa in Dependent Origination for being in Arupavacara realms?
ie: Vinnana paccya Nama-rupa.
You can read Paṭhamabhavasutta (AN 3.76), it answers your question.

"Arūpadhātuvepakkañca, ānanda, kammaṁ nābhavissa, api nu kho arūpabhavo paññāyethā”ti?"

“No hetaṁ, bhante”.

“Iti kho, ānanda, kammaṁ khettaṁ, viññāṇaṁ bījaṁ, taṇhā sneho. Avijjānīvaraṇānaṁ sattānaṁ taṇhāsaṁyojanānaṁ paṇītāya dhātuyā viññāṇaṁ patiṭṭhitaṁ evaṁ āyatiṁ punabbhavābhinibbatti hoti. Evaṁ kho, ānanda, bhavo hotī”ti."
So what is the answer in your language?

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Here the Suttanta said Vinnana conditions the origination of beings. But Arupabrahma is a special place (or should I say it is a trap?) for beings where no physical bodies present (in contrast, asannisatta realm with beings that have physical bodies but no mind). So it is a special case, but still the general principle of Paticca Samuppada applies. The birth to those Arupabrahma loka is due to the development of high Jhanas (arūpa-āyatanas) with aspiration.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:35 am Are cloths I am wearing, a part of my Nama-Rupa?
What about my finger nails and hair etc?
I would say these are examples of rupa. Nama is about how you experience and relate to these "material" rupa elements.
MN140 makes the distinction between internal and external rupa, which seems to mean inside v. outside the body.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dependent origination without Nama-Rupa! What is this?
Also not there is another DO without the six sense spheres,
With ignorance as condition there is a (volitional) process, with a (volitional) process as condition: consciousness, with consciousness as condition: mind, with mind as condition: the sixth sense sphere, with the sixth sense sphere as condition: contact, with contact as condition: feeling, with feeling as condition: craving, with craving as condition: attachment, with attachment as condition: continuation, with continuation as condition: birth, with birth as condition: ageing, death, and so there is an origination of this whole mass of suffering.
https://suttacentral.net/vb6/en/anandajoti
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

Firstly , namarupa doesnt necessarily means your namarupa or my namarupa . It doesnt restricted to mean body-mind .

It is incorrect to say :

Are cloths I am wearing,
a part of my Nama-Rupa?

Accurate way of saying is :

Are cloths I am wearing,
a part of the Nama-Rupa?

:roll:
No bashing No gossiping
samseva

Post by samseva »

Spiny Norman wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 am I would say these are examples of rupa. Nama is about how you experience and relate to these "material" rupa elements.
MN140 makes the distinction between internal and external rupa, which seems to mean inside v. outside the body.
I looked over MN 140. It deals with dhātu, not rūpa (and also not nāma-rūpa).

The only few mentions of rūpa describe perceiving objects with the senses, which is the definition of rūpa, but not rūpa as in nāma-rūpa, all in this sentence (all the others are part of a simile of a goldsmith forging jewellery):
Seeing a sight with the eye, one is preoccupied with a sight that’s a basis for happiness or sadness or equanimity.
Cakkhunā rūpaṁ disvā somanassaṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati, domanassaṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati, upekkhāṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

SN 12.19 breaks down internal-external with "this body" and "external name and form."

Iti ayañceva kāyo bahiddhā ca nāmarūpaṁ

It has a parallel where bahiddhā nāmarūpa is instead "all external signs," but I have to find it.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Clothes might be relevant to the perception of internal and external, not what Nama-Rupa means.

In terms of the elements, form can refer to earth element as it has to do with the perception of solidity. In everyday language, cloths can be also used to convey form as in the case of "wearing a uniform".
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

samseva wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:13 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 am I would say these are examples of rupa. Nama is about how you experience and relate to these "material" rupa elements.
I looked over MN 140. It deals with dhātu, not rūpa (and also not nāma-rūpa).

The only few mentions of rūpa describe perceiving objects with the senses, which is the definition of rūpa, but not rūpa as in nāma-rūpa, all in this sentence (all the others are part of a simile of a goldsmith forging jewellery):
Seeing a sight with the eye, one is preoccupied with a sight that’s a basis for happiness or sadness or equanimity.
Cakkhunā rūpaṁ disvā somanassaṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati, domanassaṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati, upekkhāṭṭhāniyaṁ rūpaṁ upavicarati
MN140 describes the four great elements (mahabhuta) which are the basis of rupa. What we actually experience are sense-objects derived from these four great elements.
See SN12.2 for the description of rupa as a component of nama-rupa : the four great elements, and the form derived from them.

Based on the SN12.2 description of nama-rupa, I think the nama component represents how we react to sense-objects derived from rupa.

In SN12.2 vinnana is the requisite condition for nama-rupa. One way of understanding this is to say that nama-rupa represents everything we can be conscious of, both mentally and materially.

But why is the distinction between nama and rupa introduced in DO? What purpose does this serve?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ontheway wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:40 am Since when dream is Rupa? Any Sutta reference?
PTS Dictionary:
wrote:Rūpa (nt.) [cp. Vedic rūpa, connected etymologically with varpa (Grassmann). — The nom. pl. is rūpā & rūpāni] form, figure, appearance, principle of form, etc.
SN 27.2 wrote:Near Sāvatthī. “Monks, any desire-passion with regard to forms is a defilement of the mind. Any desire-passion with regard to sounds… aromas… flavors… tactile sensations… ideas is a defilement of the mind. When, with regard to these six bases, the defilements of awareness are abandoned, then the mind is inclined to renunciation. The mind fostered by renunciation feels malleable for the direct knowing of those qualities worth realizing.”
Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."