Did they have strip clubs in the time of the Buddha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bpallister

Re: Did they have strip clubs in the time of the Buddha?

Post by bpallister »

Did the Buddha order a drink?
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:37 am
Pondera wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:19 am
bpallister wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:42 pm and if so, did he go to them? :anjali:
As you know, at one point in time we were all blood relatives of the Buddha. Buddhist logic of the depth of samara leads to this conclusion.

In days bygone, when I was manic and very spiritually gifted, I looked into the past for my relationship with Siddartha. And lo and behold I found him my younger brother walking side by side - clad in white clothes like two Brahman youth.

As we walked I said to him, “it’s not about you. It’s not about me. It’s about the sex!”

In that day the Aryan people had a way of making the third thing they said have a “spice” to it. Language, talking, dissertation.

Anyway. We arrived at our destination. A brothel. It was a scene out of “The Brothers Karamazov” by Dostoyevsky. Dymitry is sitting in the back to the right with a group of people drinking spirits. There is a bar in the centre. To the left are a few more seats and a staircase leading to the bedrooms upstairs.

In my only memory of him, that day, I got my younger brother laid. I gesture him up the stairs where I have already made arrangements and I walk over to Dymitry to share some spirits. And that is my only recollection of my blood relationship to Siddartha Gautama.

That could have been eons before the Bodhisattva became enlightened and I don’t recall any topless women dancing for money. I can imagine one could pay for that upstairs if one so desired. 😉

🧐
I dont understand . may be you should stop hallucinating
That doesn’t surprise me. Maybe you should find a religion other than Buddhism. You don’t seem to understand much of THAT either. 🤷
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Pondera wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:44 pm
I think you have to accept that your claims to everything bar Buddhahood will be met with understandable skepticism.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Anymore off topic posts will be removed.

:focus:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
form

Post by form »

https://suttacentral.net/thig5.2/en/sujato

The answer is yes. Please read the above page.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

bpallister wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:42 pm and if so, did he go to them? :anjali:

Skip to 27:30 - 31:39

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Thank you, friend
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Pondera wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:44 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:37 am
Pondera wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:19 am

As you know, at one point in time we were all blood relatives of the Buddha. Buddhist logic of the depth of samara leads to this conclusion.

In days bygone, when I was manic and very spiritually gifted, I looked into the past for my relationship with Siddartha. And lo and behold I found him my younger brother walking side by side - clad in white clothes like two Brahman youth.

As we walked I said to him, “it’s not about you. It’s not about me. It’s about the sex!”

In that day the Aryan people had a way of making the third thing they said have a “spice” to it. Language, talking, dissertation.

Anyway. We arrived at our destination. A brothel. It was a scene out of “The Brothers Karamazov” by Dostoyevsky. Dymitry is sitting in the back to the right with a group of people drinking spirits. There is a bar in the centre. To the left are a few more seats and a staircase leading to the bedrooms upstairs.

🧐
I dont understand . may be you should stop hallucinating
That doesn’t surprise me. Maybe you should find a religion other than Buddhism. You don’t seem to understand much of THAT either. 🤷
We are all halucinating in a way through vingnana. It is time to understood that we are mislead by vingnana, as lord budda had expressed that thanha is the carpenter who made this world for us.
In the gatha "swakatho bagavata dammobsandittiko........" it is explained that damma is akaliko has no lapse in time, to say that in a way our lust continues from the past until now irrespective of time. It is hence better to seek what we are in terms of tanha, desire and emotions to understand the damma, through paticca samuppada , and follow self desciplining for a relaxing mind. Overcoming lust is the best, and is not dufficult with an effort . Parabhava sutta could be recommended to understand how to overcome lust for a laymen.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

bpallister wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:51 pm Just trying to explore the seedy underbelly of the Dhamma. :stirthepot: :hello:
:rolleye: :zzz:

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Aloka wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:35 pm
bpallister wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:51 pm Just trying to explore the seedy underbelly of the Dhamma. :stirthepot: :hello:

Instead I feel we should try to help a run off the mill and unskilled in damma to get in to the right track. The questions sought sounds a need to learn. With metta.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

justindesilva wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:41 pm
Aloka wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Instead I feel we should try to help a run off the mill and unskilled in damma to get in to the right track. The questions sought sounds a need to learn. With metta.
Hmm, looks as though you feel confident that you're skilled and on the right track youself! Personally I wouldn't recognise a running track to a mill that needed help running around anyway, and I don't even know if we still have them in my country!

However, I've gained a little weight during Covid lockdowns, so maybe I should just go for a jog round the block instead....

Have a lovely day :hello: