List your favourite suttas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ontheway

List your favourite suttas

Post by Ontheway »

Which Suttas that you will read again and again ?

I have three of them so far:

1) Anattalakkhana Sutta (SN 22.59)
2) Pathamabhava Sutta (AN 3.76)
3) Brahmajala Sutta (DN 1)
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
SarathW

Re: List your favourite suttas

Post by SarathW »

MN 1 AND DN 1
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:09 amMN 1 AND DN 1
:clap:
MN 1 sure is a difficult sutta... I downloaded Bhikkhu Bodhi's "The Múlapariyáya Sutta and its Commentaries"...

After I finish Abhidhammattha Sangaha, I will read it.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ontheway wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:58 am
SarathW wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:09 amMN 1 AND DN 1
:clap:
MN 1 sure is a difficult sutta... I downloaded Bhikkhu Bodhi's "The Múlapariyáya Sutta and its Commentaries"...

After I finish Abhidhammattha Sangaha, I will read it.
Read MN 1 first and read Abhidhamma later.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
nirodh27

Post by nirodh27 »

1) SN 22.59 because it describes liberation and the process of undestanding anicca > dukkha > anatta
2) MN20 because it describes how to solve problems that you have when you work for jhana
3) MN19 because it describes how to get into jhana
4) MN22 because the Buddha makes a lot of subtle points that destroys the wrong views of the time, views that are still present even now.

But the one I love the most is MN140 with the sage at peace with immediate freedom from death for the Arahant:
“Bhikkhu, ‘I am’ is a conceiving; ‘I am this’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall not be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be possessed of form’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be formless’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be non-percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be neither-percipient-nor-non-percipient’ is a conceiving. Conceiving is a disease, conceiving is a tumour, conceiving is a dart. By overcoming all conceivings, bhikkhu, one is called a sage at peace. And the sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die; he is not shaken and does not yearn. For there is nothing present in him by which he might be born. Not being born, how could he age? Not ageing, how could he die? Not dying, how could he be shaken? Not being shaken, why should he yearn?
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

nirodh27 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:26 am 1) SN 22.59 because it describes liberation and the process of undestanding anicca > dukkha > anatta
2) MN20 because it describes how to solve problems that you have when you work for jhana
3) MN19 because it describes how to get into jhana
4) MN22 because the Buddha makes a lot of subtle points that destroys the wrong views of the time, views that are still present even now.

But the one I love the most is MN140 with the sage at peace with immediate freedom from death for the Arahant:
“Bhikkhu, ‘I am’ is a conceiving; ‘I am this’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall not be’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be possessed of form’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be formless’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be non-percipient’ is a conceiving; ‘I shall be neither-percipient-nor-non-percipient’ is a conceiving. Conceiving is a disease, conceiving is a tumour, conceiving is a dart. By overcoming all conceivings, bhikkhu, one is called a sage at peace. And the sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die; he is not shaken and does not yearn. For there is nothing present in him by which he might be born. Not being born, how could he age? Not ageing, how could he die? Not dying, how could he be shaken? Not being shaken, why should he yearn?
:anjali: sadhu

Good choices.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.