Which Nikaya is most useful all round?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Which Nikaya is most useful all round?

Post by form »

Recently I will say it is MN. It has the best all round information suitable for all levels of training. What do you think?
Mr. Seek

Re: Which Nikaya is most useful all round?

Post by Mr. Seek »

KN any day of the week. If I had to pick just one, I'd pick KN. If I had to pick between KN and the other four, I'd pick KN.
josaphatbarlaam

Post by josaphatbarlaam »

I agree with KN as the answer. I think if one had only MN and never read the Dhammapada and Sutta Nipata they would be very lost. Some of the better suttas in MN are also in KN via the Sutta Nipata as well. The Vinaya also includes suttas, many of them repeats of the Udana but with different wording, so it seems the compilers of the Vinaya also viewed KN material as best.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Anguttara Nikaya.

It deals with a large variety of subjects and includes many Suttas directed at laypeople.

https://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?ti ... ara_Nikaya
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Samyutta Nikaya because the most useful stuff is in there.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
form

Post by form »

Mr. Seek wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:52 pm KN any day of the week. If I had to pick just one, I'd pick KN. If I had to pick between KN and the other four, I'd pick KN.
Can you recommend me the specific parts that you like best?
form

Post by form »

josaphatbarlaam wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:57 pm I agree with KN as the answer. I think if one had only MN and never read the Dhammapada and Sutta Nipata they would be very lost. Some of the better suttas in MN are also in KN via the Sutta Nipata as well. The Vinaya also includes suttas, many of them repeats of the Udana but with different wording, so it seems the compilers of the Vinaya also viewed KN material as best.
As I am studying MN in details now, I saw some dhammapada verses also found in MN. I wonder which is the original and which borrow the original.
form

Post by form »

retrofuturist wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:01 pm Greetings,

Samyutta Nikaya because the most useful stuff is in there.

Metta,
Paul. :)
This used to be my favourite, now I find it too technical in certain parts to be as practical as MN and AN.
form

Post by form »

DNS wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:58 pm Anguttara Nikaya.

It deals with a large variety of subjects and includes many Suttas directed at laypeople.

https://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?ti ... ara_Nikaya
A few months ago, AN was my favorite. Now it has changed. A favourite is impermanent? :mrgreen:
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

form wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:34 am
Mr. Seek wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:52 pm KN any day of the week. If I had to pick just one, I'd pick KN. If I had to pick between KN and the other four, I'd pick KN.
I like the Sutta Nipata best. Particularly, its last two chapters.
form

Post by form »

Mr. Seek wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:46 am
form wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:34 am
I like the Sutta Nipata best. Particularly, its last two chapters.
Thanks for sharing. I have a copy of that.
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

If I could have only one it would be the Majjhima Nikaya
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
form

Post by form »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:18 pm If I could have only one it would be the Majjhima Nikaya
Many years ago I was reading AN in a Buddhist library. An elderly monk passed by and asked me what was I reading. I showed him and he advised me to start with MN. Later I found out that he was the first resident monk in Australia and his monastery is in Blue Mountain.