Not returning to any existence is non existence and Tathagata is supposely something but undeclared

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
asahi

Not returning to any existence is non existence and Tathagata is supposely something but undeclared

Post by asahi »

The meaning of , no returning to any state of existence appear to be the same with not exists .

If cannot pin down Tathagata as an reality ,
Why Gotama declared Himself as Tathagata ? That is contradictory .

SN 44.2
Anuradha Sutta

They understand: ‘Rebirth is ended, the spiritual journey has been completed, what had to be done has been done, there is no return to any state of existence.’

“What do you think, Anurādha? Do you regard the Realized One as one who is (as /) without form, feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness?”

“No, sir.”

And so, Anuradha — when you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality even in the present life — is it proper for you to declare, 'Friends, the Tathagata — the supreme man, the superlative man, attainer of the superlative attainment — being described, is described otherwise than with these four positions: The Tathagata exists after death, does not exist after death, both does & does not exist after death, neither exists nor does not exist after death'?"
No bashing No gossiping
cappuccino

Re: Not returning to any existence is non existence and Tathagata is supposely something but undeclared

Post by cappuccino »

asahi wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 pm appear to be the same with not exists .
the end of existence as you know it
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
DiamondNgXZ

Re: Not returning to any existence is non existence and Tathagata is supposely something but undeclared

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

asahi wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 pm The meaning of , no returning to any state of existence appear to be the same with not exists .

SN 44.2
Anuradha Sutta

They understand: ‘Rebirth is ended, the spiritual journey has been completed, what had to be done has been done, there is no return to any state of existence.’

“What do you think, Anurādha? Do you regard the Realized One as one who is (as /) without form, feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness?”

“No, sir.”

And so, Anuradha — when you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality even in the present life — is it proper for you to declare, 'Friends, the Tathagata — the supreme man, the superlative man, attainer of the superlative attainment — being described, is described otherwise than with these four positions: The Tathagata exists after death, does not exist after death, both does & does not exist after death, neither exists nor does not exist after death'?"
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/qu ... h/21404/68?

There's a long discussion here.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is a good OP question.
However it seems Arahants do not ask questions like that.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 am
asahi wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 pm The meaning of , no returning to any state of existence appear to be the same with not exists .

SN 44.2
Anuradha Sutta

“No, sir.”

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/qu ... h/21404/68?

There's a long discussion here.
I read bhante brahmali explanation . But that is not quite convincing . Actually , Cessation is about the same meaning as no more existing of previous five aggregates . An ordinary person or an arahant are not just a Stream of mental phenomena as brahmali said . Ordinary person has fluxes of defilements while still alive and it doesnt ends after death . Whereas an arahant has five qualities or virtues ie sila samadhi panna liberation & liberation knowledge , so when arahant body disperse , physical substances dissolves into the nature , his 5 virtues are suppose to remain according to sutta .
No bashing No gossiping
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

asahi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:21 am his 5 virtues are suppose to remain according to sutta .
Which sutta? What 5 virtues? Do you mean aggregates? Or just the 4 mind aggregate?

Which bias are you prone to now? Eternalism?

The trick to questions like this is: you still think there's a person there to be able to describe after the passing away of an arahant. There's no self. So the assumption of a person there is inherently at fault. As long as that delusion of self is there, any thinking about Nibbana can easily fall into annihilationism or eternalism, both of which are rejected by the Buddha. Only dependent origination, and dependent cessation.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:53 am There's no self.
"Now then, Venerable Gotama, is there a self?"

When this was said, the Blessed One was silent.

"Then is there no self?"

A second time, the Blessed One was silent.

Then Vacchagotta the wanderer got up from his seat and left.

Ananda Sutta
Coaching
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:57 am
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:53 am There's no self.
"Now then, Venerable Gotama, is there a self?"

When this was said, the Blessed One was silent.

"Then is there no self?"

A second time, the Blessed One was silent.

Then Vacchagotta the wanderer got up from his seat and left.

Ananda Sutta
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/on ... gies/11836

Not interested to repeat what's been said in the discussion linked. This I think is not the first time I get such a response, so also, not really interested in continuing such lines of inquiry.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:55 am This I think is not the first time I get such a response, so
not surprised

somewhat surprised you will not adapt
Coaching
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:04 am
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:55 am This I think is not the first time I get such a response, so
not surprised

somewhat surprised you will not adapt
Adapt to what? I think not using no self can lead to misunderstanding that there's a self somewhere which makes the question of what happens to arahants after their death a valid question. Of course, for some, thinking of no self can lead to other kinds of misunderstanding such as 5 aggregates doesn't exist, or the self exist now but not after enlightenment or death. So it's a deep issue.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 am Adapt to what?
middle position between extremes of self and no self
Coaching
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 am
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 am Adapt to what?
middle position between extremes of self and no self
I think it's a wrong view to simply use self vs no self as replacement for eternalism vs annihilationism respectively. They don't map one to one.

Both eternalism and annihilationism requires, are based on the concept, delusion of self, whereas dependent origination shows no self is to be found in all phenomenon.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:21 am no self is to be found in all phenomenon.
all phenomena are not-self
Coaching
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:22 am
DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:21 am no self is to be found in all phenomenon.
all phenomena are not-self
One who has samadhi see things as they really are. If all phenomenon are not self, then there's no self anywhere to be found at all. Thus there's no self is a valid statement. Only care needs to be taken to tell people that it doesn't mean the annihilation position.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:23 am Thus there's no self is a valid statement.
no self is a belief

not-self is not

rather it's a way of thinking
Coaching