What is your favourite version of the Dhammapada?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jackson

What is your favourite version of the Dhammapada?

Post by jackson »

I'm considering collecting different versions of the Dhammapada so I can compare translations and get a better feel for what the Pali is saying. The first translation of the Dhammapada that I bought was by Thomas Cleary, which I liked at the time in spite of Cleary's notes (which he chose to put in bold text bizarrely). I also believe that I have another version of the Dhammapada in Conze's " Buddhist scriptures. After that my mother picked me up a used version of the Dhammapada by P. Lal, which when I looked at it recently I was surprised at how different the translation was from the one I compared it against. I also had a translation that was part of a world religions set, which I glanced at but decided to donate to my local library, and most recently I picked up John Ross Carter and Mahinda Palihawadana's translation with commentary. Now I could be wrong, but this seems like a really good translation, although they've gone with a more literal translation over the poetic aspect of it. Anyway, I love the Dhammapada, especially the Carter Palihawadana version, and would love to hear what your favourite version is. Also I`m thinking of picking up the stories to go along with it, is there a version which I should get? I look forward to your replies.
Metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
retrofuturist

Re: What is your favourite version of the Dhammapada?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I like Buddharakkhita's translation, though I admit it's not perfect either.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll also find some interesting thoughts on different Dhammapada translations via this search: http://www.dhammawheel.com/search.php?k ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SDC

Post by SDC »

Dhammapada

The only version I have ever read. Not to say its the best, but I really enjoyed it.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
bodom

Post by bodom »

Gil Fronsdals.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I like Buddharakkhita's translation, though I admit it's not perfect either.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll also find some interesting thoughts on different Dhammapada translations via this search: http://www.dhammawheel.com/search.php?k ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
i think thats the one i like, i'm to lazy to look right now :toilet:
i have a few translations, i wish i had thanissaro's though i believe its in my handful of leaves books so i might

the 1st dhamma book i ever read was some old horrible translation of the dhammapada and it shook my world view and it was all buddhism from there.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
plwk

Post by plwk »

By the late Chief Reverend Dr K Sri Dhammananda, Maha Thera Nayaka of Malaysia and Singapore: The Dhammapada

Buddharakkhita's version is cool :anjali:
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

I like Eknath Easwaran's translation. He has a really nice 90 page introduction and a shorter introduction to each section. These intros are very clearly and succinctly written. I found them worth reading in and of themselves. But I liked his translation too.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

They all are good, yet lately I am growing fond of both the 2013 translation and Reflections of Peter Feldmeier -- done by BPS.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

From Feldmeier's Introduction:
There are different levels at which one can read the
Dhammapada, just as there are levels of skillful practice.
On a basic level the Dhammapada encourages embracing
the essence of common spiritual wisdom. All authentic
paths recognize, for instance, that nursing resentments or
perpetuating violence is morally disastrous. One could also
read the Dhammapada at another level by paying particular
attention to the dynamics of kamma. This theme is
introduced in the first chapter and addressed throughout
the whole of the text. The Buddha regularly warned
against unskillful actions that bring about bad results and
recommended those that ensure good results. Seeing this
dynamic clearly is a fundamental tenet to Buddhism.
One can read the Dhammapada at still another level:
liberation from samsara. Samsara represents wandering
from one lifetime to another. Various verses encourage
letting go of any narrow kammic interests for the ultimate
boon of Nibbāna (Skt: Nirvāna). In these verses, the
Buddha challenges the idea that we should aim to generate
merit for the purpose of securing a better rebirth. In
his view, such an aim can distract us from the ultimate
good, which is liberation from all rebirth.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

whoever translates the first verse as 'mind precedes all (things)' is off to a roaring good start
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
form

Post by form »

I will read any version and I compare a few versions especially Chinese and English.