Recover of traumatic memories (from this and past life) during anapanasati

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dpcalder

Recover of traumatic memories (from this and past life) during anapanasati

Post by dpcalder »

This might sound like a strange question, but should the meditator expect to re-experience traumatic memories that we either forgotten or repressed, from this life or past lives, and will this alleviate negative psychological symptoms? I know that the Samaññaphala Sutta mentions this but was wondering if any other part of the Pali Canon addresses this, or if it is something that advanced meditators report.
SarathW

Re: Recover of traumatic memories (from this and past life) during anapanasati

Post by SarathW »

According to Buddhism all our experiences are a result of past Kamma.
On that basis it is possible you can experience a subtle feeling which are a result of past life.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

dpcalder wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:12 am This might sound like a strange question, but should the meditator expect to re-experience traumatic memories that we either forgotten or repressed, from this life or past lives, and will this alleviate negative psychological symptoms? I know that the Samaññaphala Sutta mentions this but was wondering if any other part of the Pali Canon addresses this, or if it is something that advanced meditators report.
Yes, they will inevitably come. Many of them actualize as bodily pain & discomfort too.
It is a speed race between your sati and the speed of avijja sankhara.
It is also a struggle between power of Avijja and the power of your understanding of reality. The powerful wins.
But I don't think you should take them when your wisdom faculty is yet to be cultivated strong enough.
There will be a point on your path, that you let your mind as they are - as you wish to identify the works yet to be done.
Good news is - you don't have to experience them one by one. Many of them r rooted in same misunderstanding, they will be gone as a group.
dpcalder

Post by dpcalder »

Jack19990101 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:37 am
dpcalder wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:12 am This might sound like a strange question, but should the meditator expect to re-experience traumatic memories that we either forgotten or repressed, from this life or past lives, and will this alleviate negative psychological symptoms? I know that the Samaññaphala Sutta mentions this but was wondering if any other part of the Pali Canon addresses this, or if it is something that advanced meditators report.
Yes, they will inevitably come. Many of them actualize as bodily pain & discomfort too.
It is a speed race between your sati and the speed of avijja sankhara.
It is also a struggle between power of Avijja and the power of your understanding of reality. The powerful wins.
But I don't think you should take them when your wisdom faculty is yet to be cultivated strong enough.
There will be a point on your path, that you let your mind as they are - as you wish to identify the works yet to be done.
Good news is - you don't have to experience them one by one. Many of them r rooted in same misunderstanding, they will be gone as a group.
Thank you for your response. What motivated me to ask this question is, when I was in a period of very extended meditation, I would have "dreams" that would involve physical pain. I found them very disturbing. I'm not sure if they were authentic "memories" or what, but I felt sensations comparable to putting my hands on a hot stove.
asahi

Post by asahi »

SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:18 am According to Buddhism all our experiences are a result of past Kamma.
On that basis it is possible you can experience a subtle feeling which are a result of past life.
Could you refer me the sutta reference ?
No bashing No gossiping
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

asahi wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:54 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:18 am According to Buddhism all our experiences are a result of past Kamma.
Could you refer me the sutta reference ?
"Now what, monks, is old kamma? The eye is to be seen as old kamma, fabricated & willed, capable of being felt. The ear... The nose... The tongue... The body... The intellect is to be seen as old kamma, fabricated & willed, capable of being felt. This is called old kamma.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I don't think Buddha said that all our experiences are a result of past Kamma.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

The Kammavipākaja Sutta (Udana 3.1) describes that painful sensations can be a result of former deeds:
tena kho pana samayena aññataro bhikkhu bhagavato avidūre nisinno hoti pallaṅkaṃ ābhujitvā ujuṃ kāyaṃ paṇidhāya purāṇakammavipākajaṃ dukkhaṃ tibbaṃ kharaṃ kaṭukaṃ vedanaṃ adhivāsento sato sampajāno avihaññamāno.

Then at that time a certain monk was sitting not far from the Blessed One, his legs crossed, his body held erect, enduring painful, acute, sharp and severe sensations, that had arisen as a result of former deeds — retentive and fully aware, and without being troubled.
IMO this includes results of past trauma.

There are also people who experience nightmares, etc. due to what they have done to others.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Thoughts are insubstantial, like clouds across the sky.

:anjali:

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Stuff comes up in meditation. The only mistake you can make is getting too involved with what you experience and take them as real. This is inclusive of visions or bad memories.