Astrology, Divination

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
shuka

Astrology, Divination

Post by shuka »

The Buddha said that one should not rely on astrology, divination and such sorts of things. I don't remember where I read it. Can anyone find the Sutta(s)( or is it in the Vinaya?) it's from?
Pondera

Re: Astrology, Divination

Post by Pondera »

It could be in many places but the only place I can recall is the morality section of DN 1 - the Brahmajala Sutta

https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/sujato? ... ript=latin

It’s labelled as “wrong livelihood”
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Astrology, Divination

Post by Sam Vara »

shuka wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:33 am The Buddha said that one should not rely on astrology, divination and such sorts of things. I don't remember where I read it. Can anyone find the Sutta(s)( or is it in the Vinaya?) it's from?
One should rely of course upon the Buddha's teaching, but I'm not sure that a reliance on astrology and suchlike is specifically forbidden for lay people. As Pondera says, it is forbidden in DN 1, but this is in the section relating to ethics for those who have gone forth and are relying on alms-food, and is forbidden as a means of earning a livelihood.

I would have thought that it is simply incompatible with a belief in kamma, but I would be interested if there are passages in the suttas addressing lay people which specifically forbid such things.