Survival and Cannibalism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
StrivingforMonkhood

Survival and Cannibalism

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

I have a sincere question I'd like to ask:

When people have to resort to cannibalism for survival reasons, etc., why do such things happen? How does Buddhism explain justification of cannibalism, etc. for survival reasons. Would it be best to just let yourself die in such a situation? I don't like asking these questions, but I have to. My mind is not resting.

It's also always bothered me that people are born highly deformed mentally or physically, or both. Why does this happen? I just don't understand all these things.

Peace and enlightenment. :anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
santa100

Re: Survival and Cannibalism

Post by santa100 »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote:When people have to resort to cannibalism for survival reasons, etc., why do such things happen?
Well, regardless of how highly we humans try to think of ourselves, truth of the matter is we aren't that much more evolved than that cave-dwelling savage 100,000 years ago.
It's also always bothered me that people are born highly deformed mentally or physically, or both.
You believe in Kamma right? As long as there're people who continue to enjoy and engage in sadistic acts that deform other beings mentally and physically, then there will continue to be people reborn deformed mentally and physically.
My mind is not resting.
Now that you've been given answers, hope your mind is now at peace and start re-focusing on more peaceful subject of contemplation like.... the breath. :anjali:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I think some people are so terrified of death, they'll do anything to stay alive including eating other people to survive.
Most Buddhists I know are okay with the idea of dying (and rebirth) so maybe we can't understand.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:40 pm I have a sincere question I'd like to ask:

When people have to resort to cannibalism for survival reasons, etc., why do such things happen? How does Buddhism explain justification of cannibalism, etc. for survival reasons. Would it be best to just let yourself die in such a situation? I don't like asking these questions, but I have to. My mind is not resting.
Depends what you mean by cannibalism. Do you mean killing other humans and eating them, or eating the flesh of people who have already died? One has more moral implications than the other. Personally if I were starving and there was literally nothing else to eat, I probably would eat someone who had just died. The idea of doing it does disgust me somewhat, but i don't see a moral issue there that is equivalent to killing the person and then eating them.
It's also always bothered me that people are born highly deformed mentally or physically, or both. Why does this happen? I just don't understand all these things.
There are a number of reasons as to why people are born with mental or physical problems. Life isn't perfect. Sometimes errors occur, such as with cancer. DNA replication isn't always perfect and errors aren't always prevented. From a Buddhist pov there is that fact, but also kamma. As to why someone is deformed, i think it best to go with more scientific explanations. It seems kinder to give people the benefit of the doubt there.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I am not sure if the morality of cannibalism differs radically from eating the flesh of another animal. One could argue that the repulsion associated with cannibalism is due to the fact that most species do not eat their own kind. It is also more repulsive to kill a human to eat their flesh, but seems preferable to kill an animal for the same purpose to ensure freshness of the kill.

Symbolically, the closest act to cannibalism is gossip. In causal terms, this has to do with the relationship between death, the other and witnessing.

Why some people are deformed? both the scientific and metaphysical explanations have their own uses, which can be preventive and preemptive. The scientific explanation depends on the how the body functions, and the kammic explanation depends on how kamma operates.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

There is a sutra about nutriment that describes that the attitude towards eating food should be as that of a starving couple eating their first born infant son. The whole sutta left a deep visceral impact on me, but as a side take-away I gather that under survival circumstances the Buddha could understand cannibalism. But I may be wrong.
SN12.63
“There are these four nutriments for the maintenance of beings who have come into being or for the support of those in search of a place to be born.
Which four? Physical food, gross or refined; contact as the second, intellectual Intention the third, and consciousness the fourth. These are the four nutriments for the maintenance of beings who have come into being or for the support of those in search of a place to be born.
“And how is physical food to be regarded? Suppose a couple, husband & wife, taking meager provisions, were to travel through a desert. With them would be their only baby son, dear & appealing. Then the meager provisions of the couple going through the desert would be used up & depleted while there was still a stretch of the desert yet to be crossed. The thought would occur to them, ‘Our meager provisions are used up & depleted while there is still a stretch of this desert yet to be crossed. What if we were to kill this only baby son of ours, dear & appealing, and make dried meat & jerky. That way—chewing on the flesh of our son—at least the two of us would make it through this desert.
Otherwise, all three of us would perish.’ So they would kill their only baby son, loved & endearing, and make dried meat & jerky. Chewing on the flesh of their son, they would make it through the desert. While eating the flesh of their only son, they would beat their breasts, (crying,) ‘Where have you gone, our only baby son? Where have you gone, our only baby son?’ Now what do you think, monks: Would that couple eat that food playfully or for intoxication, or for putting on bulk, or for beautification?”
“No, lord.”
“Wouldn’t they eat that food simply for the sake of making it through that desert?”
“Yes, lord.”
“In the same way, I tell you, is the nutriment of physical food to be regarded.
When physical food is comprehended, passion for the five strings of sensuality is
comprehended. When passion for the five strings of sensuality is comprehended,
there is no fetter bound by which a disciple of the noble ones would come back
again to this world.
..."
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

I sincerely appreciate all of your responses. They are good.

I do believe in kamma and rebirth. It's just hard to see beyond emotion, beyond horror. We can go beyond good and bad, and see ultimate reality.

I feel overwhelmed by the all the suffering throughout time. Some things are so horrible that they don't seem that they can be real. It's like I go into shock when I contemplate horror in the world.

I do practice Qigong. It has helped somewhat.

I love you all. I wish that all of you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness.

May all suffering cease.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Every body ends up as nutriment that progresses through the food chain and end up in someone’s belly to again at some time decompose.
A lunch table is a glorified graveyard of decaying ancestors.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:40 pm I have a sincere question I'd like to ask:

Peace and enlightenment. :anjali:
We must bear the fact we still live with the development of our reptilian brain later developed as mamalian and human as latest. Recent research on neural activities (hoffmann and others) have revealed that all three from reptilian to human parts are active together called triune activity.
Hence the reptilian brain which is vital for reproduction and territoriality is in operation thus getting usinvolved with reptile character. I believe that cannibalism is an exhibition of reptilean brain. As the brain developed in to human with more grey matter in brain ,people developed civilisation with kindness, with metta enhancing it.
Lord budda with meditation techniques developed the brain in to spiritual standards.
But canniblism if still exhibited by people is because of uncontrolled reptilian brain in neural operation as a triune , in need of reproduction (sex) and territorial security still at war which is actively loba, dosa, moha.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Isnt that DNA is sort of modern way of saying kamma vipaka . You dont eat your own kind due to close relationship , there is a feeling of closeness . Normally people dont want to die , as such they will kill to survive and staying alive at all costs . They might be showing hostility or even pretending to be friendly . If there is a feeling of alienation there is a feeling of fear causing repulsion . For eg . In many cases feeling of aversion happens to western peoples towards the asian because they are not from the same color , or Islam and Christian followers has hostile behaviour towards non muslims .
No bashing No gossiping
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

asahi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 am Isnt that DNA is sort of modern way of saying kamma vipaka . You dont eat your own kind due to close relationship , there is a feeling of closeness . Normally people dont want to die , as such they will kill to survive and staying alive at all costs . They might be showing hostility or even pretending to be friendly . If there is a feeling of alienation there is a feeling of fear causing repulsion . For eg . In many cases feeling of aversion happens to western peoples towards the asian because they are not from the same color , or Islam and Christian followers has hostile behaviour towards non muslims .
DNA is attached to bija niyama, and DNA is also shown to be different in twin brothers with modern experiments.
But out of five niyamas kamma niyama is shown as seperate law, while the rest are utu niyama (physical or seasonal ). Citta niyama and damma niyama. Hence DNA cannot be part of kamma in operation. (Yet kamma is so complex too).
asahi

Post by asahi »

justindesilva wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 am
asahi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 am Isnt that DNA is sort of modern way of saying kamma vipaka . You dont eat your own kind due to close relationship , there is a feeling of closeness . Normally people dont want to die , as such they will kill to survive and staying alive at all costs . They might be showing hostility or even pretending to be friendly . If there is a feeling of alienation there is a feeling of fear causing repulsion . For eg . In many cases feeling of aversion happens to western peoples towards the asian because they are not from the same color , or Islam and Christian followers has hostile behaviour towards non muslims .
DNA is attached to bija niyama, and DNA is also shown to be different in twin brothers with modern experiments.
But out of five niyamas kamma niyama is shown as seperate law, while the rest are utu niyama (physical or seasonal ). Citta niyama and damma niyama. Hence DNA cannot be part of kamma in operation. (Yet kamma is so complex too).
Bija niyama refers to germs and seeds and the attributes of sprouts, leaves, flowers, fruits, and plant life generally.
DNA is part of human body where its origination are from kamma . It would be more accurate to attribute DNA as kamma niyama . This body is an old kamma as the sutta mentioned .
No bashing No gossiping
Alino

Post by Alino »

Killing someone to eat his body is bad kamma.
Eating an already dead body is technically OK, but socially not OK.

Imho

PS go vegan
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

asahi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:21 am
justindesilva wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 am
Bija niyama refers to germs and seeds and the attributes of sprouts, leaves, flowers, fruits, and plant life generally.
DNA is part of human body where its origination are from kamma . It would be more accurate to attribute DNA as kamma niyama . This body is an old kamma as the sutta mentioned .
English buddhist teacher Sangarakshita mentions bija niyama as physical biological or organic order, while it can be translated as heredity. In sinhala language bija are only seeds. Ayurveda mentions DNA as herreditary.As kamma is a complex subject we cannot discount that kamma is related to all five niyamas, and was discussed with the tsunami in 2004 of sri lanka.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Alino wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:10 pm Killing someone to eat his body is bad kamma.
Eating an already dead body is technically OK, but socially not OK.
:goodpost:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false