Kneeling while answering question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ontheway

Kneeling while answering question

Post by Ontheway »

Can a Samanera, while kneeling, answers a Bhikkhuni's question?

When I was a Samanera around 16 years old if I'm not mistaken, I attended a very old Bhikkhuni Kusuma's talk session with all other Samaneras. When this Bhikkhuni gives a test question, while other Samaneras did not answer, I was dared enough to answer. Yet, she wanted me to go in front and answer the questions. Without any knowledge on Vinaya Pitaka (well, I was more like Ekapitaka Buddhist that time), I went to the stage and kneeling while answers the question. No one stopping me that time.

Many years later, the old Bhikkhuni passed away. Now I begin to have this doubt and fear. Did I transgressed any Vinaya rules in term of Samanera ordination?

...and what worse is the Orthodox Theravada now no longer recognise the status of new age "Bhikkhuni". How is that even legitimate and even teaching a class of Samanera in public that time?

If that is a transgression, how can I make amend of it so that it wouldn't be a blockage to my further practice?

Anyone well-versed in Vinaya Pitaka here?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
BKh

Re: Kneeling while answering question

Post by BKh »

There is nothing in the Vinaya around this. The closest would be preaching Dhamma while seated to someone who was standing. But it doesn't sound like this was the case. Please don't have any doubts or worries. Since this was a teaching situation and you were all Samaneras, I imagine she would have told you to stand differently if it wasn't appropriate.

The whole situation was possible (re bhikkhunis) because Ayya Kusuma was very brave and dedicated.

I'm sure she was happy you answered the question.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
thepea

Post by thepea »

Rites and rituals to be let go of.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

thepea wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:39 pm Rites and rituals to be let go of.
Vinaya is not considered rites and rituals.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm Can a Samanera, while kneeling, answers a Bhikkhuni's question?

When I was a Samanera around 16 years old if I'm not mistaken, I attended a very old Bhikkhuni Kusuma's talk session with all other Samaneras. When this Bhikkhuni gives a test question, while other Samaneras did not answer, I was dared enough to answer. Yet, she wanted me to go in front and answer the questions. Without any knowledge on Vinaya Pitaka (well, I was more like Ekapitaka Buddhist that time), I went to the stage and kneeling while answers the question. No one stopping me that time.

Many years later, the old Bhikkhuni passed away. Now I begin to have this doubt and fear. Did I transgressed any Vinaya rules in term of Samanera ordination?

...and what worse is the Orthodox Theravada now no longer recognise the status of new age "Bhikkhuni". How is that even legitimate and even teaching a class of Samanera in public that time?

If that is a transgression, how can I make amend of it so that it wouldn't be a blockage to my further practice?

Are you a monk?
:anjali:
By the way this question would have posted under the section "ordination and monastic life"
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
thepea

Post by thepea »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:57 pm
Buddha taught freedom, not submission.
This topic is about acting submissive or obedient.
If you are inclined to act this way go for it, but it’s mere rites and rituals most likely added after buddhas passing.
If there is any vinyana regarding this.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:59 pm
Ontheway wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm Can a Samanera, while kneeling, answers a Bhikkhuni's question?

Are you a monk?
:anjali:
By the way this question would have posted under the section "ordination and monastic life"
No. I'm not. That was my Samanera ordination programme long time ago, when I'm still a teenager.

That's why I put it here as I'm now a layfollower Upasaka.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

thepea wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:03 pm
If you are inclined to act this way go for it, but it’s mere rites and rituals most likely added after buddhas passing.
Stop mispresenting Buddha's Dhamma.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

thepea

Post by thepea »

Ontheway wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 am
thepea wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:03 pm
Stop mispresenting Buddha's Dhamma.
:focus: