Why do you study Buddhism?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Why do you study Buddhism?

1) to be happy in this life
13%
2) to be happy in the next life
4%
3) to be happy this life and the next life or becoming a Sotapanna, Arahant, etc.
38%
4) just to pass time
No votes
5) To know about life in general and curiosity
4%
6) Just a hobby
No votes
7) Buddhism is the only religion that makes sense in comparison to other religions
21%
8) Other- Please give your reasons
21%
9)Just because I was born to Buddhism
No votes
10) Just to be part of a common group
No votes

Total votes: 24

thepea

Re: Why do you study Buddhism?

Post by thepea »

DNS wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:03 pm
thepea wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:08 pm I chose other option; I don’t study Buddhism and have no idea what Buddhism is
Apparently so, based on your posts in the other thread that you think it's okay for a sotapanna to regularly kill animals.
I honestly think it’s a cult that is collapsing along with other belief structured religions.
I practice Dhamma the teachings of the awakened on within. No belief or cultish groups required.
Like the rhinoceros alone in the forest.
And what is Dhamma? It is the teachings of the Buddha, as found in the Pali Canon and Agamas. Unless you have access to some secret teachings of the Buddha the rest of us don't have.

If you base your ideology on the Pali Canon, Agamas, then that's the scriptures of Buddhism . . . a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
I practice dhamma. Dhamma is the teachings of the buddha(the awakened one within).
No Pāli canon or suttas or scriptures required.
And yes I have access to this secret teaching within. It’s no secret though you just have to look within. Christ ssid know thyself.
Good moral conduct quiets the mind, focus the mind on an access point and penetrate into the body. This is inner seeing or insight or wisdom. Explore the mind/form phenomenon. The Buddha is there to guide you.

Also I didn’t say regularly kill, I said a sotapanna can kill. Don’t try to insert the word regular and then move to habitual so you can quote another misinterpreted sutta.
form

Re: Why do you study Buddhism?

Post by form »

Buddhism teachings is not for one to say this and that. It is to cultivate the correct factors so one is meditative and become naturally good. No need to learn Pali. Just read Bhikku Bodhi three English books one after another and practice consistently. Soon you will be there.