If you attain any Magga Phala will you tell or disclose it to others?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

1) Yes I will tell everyone
No votes
2) No I will not tell anyone
29%
3) Yes I will tell only a person If I see that person will benefit from that
29%
4) Yes I will tell that only to my selected friends
18%
5) Yes I will tell only I was asked
6%
6) I am a monk and abide by Vinaya rules
6%
6)Other - please give your thoughts on this matter
12%

Total votes: 17

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

There are 8 types of Ariya Puggla.

-Sotapanna Magga
- Sotapanna Phala
-Sakdhagami Magga
-Sakdhagami Phala
-Anagami Magga
-Anagami Phala
-Arahant Magga
-Arahant Phala
etc.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: If you attain any Magga Phala will you tell or disclose it to others?

Post by SarathW »

I voted no 3.
I am not a monk hence I like to share my experience with others so they also will enjoy the same.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Let me attain it first......
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

How on earth could we foretell what we would do? It would be a totally different mindset.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Well , how to tell when no one attain SE yet . At least i am certain none for DW members 🤭 .
No bashing No gossiping
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Other- I would only tell my teacher.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

asahi wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:08 am Well , how to tell when no one attain SE yet . At least i am certain none for DW members 🤭 .
As far I know many members know everything is impermanent... so
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
sakyan

Post by sakyan »

I voted no 3 because the teachings of Thai ariyas like Ven Ajahn Maha Bua, Ven Mun, Ven Lee Dhammadharo helped me very much to comprehend the Dhamma.

I have great respect for Ven Ajahn Maha Bua because he proclaimed his Arhatship with a lion's roar and showed that magga-phala is not a futuristic thing or something the Tathagata took with him when he passed away from this world. Instead the Dhamma of the Buddha, the attainment of magga-phala is something that is here and now and is attainable even in the present dhamma ending age.

If I see that I can help anyone to get out by proclaiming attainment then I'll definitely do that. The Dhamma of the Buddha is so well taught that even if we fail to attain magga-phala after practicing dhamma for 100 years it's only gain and no loss.

And don't really think it's difficult to attain faith-follower or dhamma-follower i.e (person practicing the path to attain Sotapanna-phala) if we truly practice dhamma for 7 years.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Just don't tell people on this forum, otherwise you will quickly become the object of ridicule and scorn :jumping:
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

There is no point telling others... Because it is not really knowable by others unless Buddha is still here. Although we cannot verify a Sotapanna (or Sakadagami, Anagami, or Arahanta), we can definitely verify a "putthujjana".

Better be careful when meeting/talking to people that claim themselves to be a Sotapanna (be it online or real life) or able to enter Nirodha Samapatti, etc. Better investigate the matter and compare their experience with Pali Tipitaka scriptures. Nowadays, even when what they say is similar to the scriptures, there is no way we can tell if they are actually experiencing those qualities or simply cook up a fancy story. It could be just people overestimating themselves, or maybe they are just having some mental issues (eg: make believe), or maybe hallucinations due to drug abuse.

But there is a risk that these people are actually manipulative and sneaky "predators" trying to take advantage on other people, or seeking recognition to feed their ego.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
thepea

Post by thepea »

When my fhella is MAGA I like to take him out for walks and show him off.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Ontheway wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:53 pm There is no point telling others... Because it is not really knowable by others unless Buddha is still here. Although we cannot verify a Sotapanna (or Sakadagami, Anagami, or Arahanta), we can definitely verify a "putthujjana".

Better be careful when meeting/talking to people that claim themselves to be a Sotapanna (be it online or real life) or able to enter Nirodha Samapatti, etc. Better investigate the matter and compare their experience with Pali Tipitaka scriptures. Nowadays, even when what they say is similar to the scriptures, there is no way we can tell if they are actually experiencing those qualities or simply cook up a fancy story. It could be just people overestimating themselves, or maybe they are just having some mental issues (eg: make believe), or maybe hallucinations due to drug abuse.

But there is a risk that these people are actually manipulative and sneaky "predators" trying to take advantage on other people, or seeking recognition to feed their ego.
There is a point in telling others, but only a noble comprehends this.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Ontheway wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:07 pm Oh yeah? By telling others how you enjoy the feeling of hunting & capturing living beings, kill them and shedding their blood with your hands and feel the "peace" by seeing the light in their eyes flickers away......

How "noble" is that?
I speak plainly and truthfully. I’ve taken the time to explain how I am capable of catching, killing, and eating fish.
Yes, when you catch a fish you have to cut the main artery supplying blood. The fish bleeds out very quickly and this seems the quickest way. It’s not instant but it’s quick. This also ensures the flesh is clean of blood.
Some smash the fish on the head with a bat rendering the fish unconscious.
Yes, you get blood on your hands and gutting and filleting a fish covers your hands in all its insides. But this is required to get its flesh to eat.
Buying a fillet in the grocery store does not negate this process, just someone else does it.
It’s circle of life, and I try to do this with respect and compassion.
It’s a grounding earthy natural feeling to know where your meal came from.
SDC

Post by SDC »

thepea wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 pm
Ontheway wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:07 pm Oh yeah? By telling others how you enjoy the feeling of hunting & capturing living beings, kill them and shedding their blood with your hands and feel the "peace" by seeing the light in their eyes flickers away......

How "noble" is that?
I speak plainly and truthfully. I’ve taken the time to explain how I am capable of catching, killing, and eating fish.
Yes, when you catch a fish you have to cut the main artery supplying blood. The fish bleeds out very quickly and this seems the quickest way. It’s not instant but it’s quick. This also ensures the flesh is clean of blood.
Yes, you get blood on your hands and gutting and filleting a fish covers your hands in all its insides. But this is required to get its flesh to eat.
Buying a fillet in the grocery store does not negate this process, just someone else does it.
It’s circle of life, and I try to do this with respect and compassion.
It’s a grounding earthy natural feeling to know where your meal came from.
As I said a few weeks ago, you didn’t need a Buddha to compile such an ordinary world view. I’ve heard many hunters and naturalists say the same thing. I cannot believe you get so much satisfaction professing it on a forum where people follow a teaching that holds a much higher, stricter and admirable standard of virtue. I’m grateful for that higher standard and very glad I have no inclination to relish in settling for less.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

thepea wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 pm

How "noble" is that?
You are simply deluded if you think the Blessed One approved of any of this.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”