No votes
Fie on All Polls
15%

Total votes: 46

Nicholas Weeks

I Believe in Kamma and its Effects - Poll

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This is so edifying - right?
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Sobeh

Re: I Believe in Kamma and its Effects

Post by Sobeh »

My answer is to cite the Acintita Sutta (AN 4.77) as well as the Kamma Sutta (SN 35.145). Unfortunately, these were not in the list of possible responses. Perhaps an "Other; please specify" selection?

:group:
Last edited by Sobeh on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Sobeh wrote:My answer is to cite the Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable (AN 4.77).
The poll asks nothing about how kamma-vipaka works in detail, just what you believe about kamma & its effects.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

I would suggest trying to stop believing and having all these various 'positions' and rather try to start seeing!
MN72 wrote:"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."
If there would be the option: "Fie on all "I believe..." polls", I would vote for it without hesitation.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Sobeh

Re: I Believe in Kamma and its Effects - Poll

Post by Sobeh »

Yup - edited post in the meantime to include the rest of my answer.

I have no problem with polls, but I do have a problem with poorly constructed polls.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

acinteyyo wrote:I would suggest trying to stop believing and having all these various 'positions' and rather try to start seeing!

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."
If there would be the option: "Fie on all "I believe..." polls", I would vote for it without hesitation.

best wishes, acinteyyo
You do not care for faith or belief in the Dhamma I gather?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Sobeh wrote:Yup - edited post in the meantime to include the rest of my answer.

I have no problem with polls, but I do have a problem with poorly constructed polls.
Please construct one correctly - I want to learn.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

What is it the texts say... "now and in the future"?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Will wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:I would suggest trying to stop believing and having all these various 'positions' and rather try to start seeing!
You do not care for faith or belief in the Dhamma I gather?
Faith and beliefs do have their avail. The thing is, if one is satisified with having faith and beliefs, one won't ever put enough effort in seeing things as they are, thus one won't ever go beyond faith and beliefs.
SN1,20 wrote:[...]this Dhamma is visible here-&-now, not subject to time, inviting all to come & see, pertinent, to be known by the wise for themselves
Why settle for beliefing in this Dhamma, which is uncertain, which is nothing more but mere assumption, suppositon, guesswork, when this Dhamma is visible here & now, to known by the wise?

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

"Settling" for belief is your unwarrented assumption acinteyyo. But since faith comes first, there is nothing wrong about saying belief has value, as it is. When one chooses to verify the Dhamma, fine, do so when one is ready. But to sneer at those at the lower stage of faith and belief will not help your superior practice of seeing things as they are.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Will wrote: When one chooses to verify the Dhamma, fine, do so when one is ready. But to sneer at those at the lower stage of faith and belief will not help your superior practice of seeing things as they are.
Yes, as in this sutta:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Excellent, Sariputta. Excellent. Those who have not known, seen, penetrated, realized, or attained it by means of discernment would have to take it on conviction in others that the faculty of conviction... persistence... mindfulness... concentration... discernment, when developed & pursued, gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its goal & consummation; whereas those who have known, seen, penetrated, realized, & attained it by means of discernment would have no doubt or uncertainty that the faculty of conviction... persistence... mindfulness... concentration... discernment, when developed & pursued, gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its goal & consummation."
Mike
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sobeh wrote:My answer is to cite the Acintita Sutta (AN 4.77) as well as the Kamma Sutta (SN 35.145). Unfortunately, these were not in the list of possible responses. Perhaps an "Other; please specify" selection?

For our reading convenience it would be lovely if you could provide the quote in your post, so that we don't have to leave the page...

Please?? :smile:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I voted for in all lifetimes.

Even IF there were no rebirth in a literal sense, and only one life for each being, as in the Christian sense, it is easy to see that things parents did will affect their children and grandchildren, quite like here, only that Buddhist don't think Kamma is about getting punished or rewarded. It`s just dependant arising.
I ....am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,
But the wording is actually secondary.

The result is always the same: do evil things, and it will backfire badly.

Do good things, you will inherit "good" kamma.

And the results can be far reaching. They often ripen much later, in generations to come.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Annapurna wrote:
Sobeh wrote:My answer is to cite the Acintita Sutta (AN 4.77) as well as the Kamma Sutta (SN 35.145). Unfortunately, these were not in the list of possible responses. Perhaps an "Other; please specify" selection?

For our reading convenience it would be lovely if you could provide the quote in your post, so that we don't have to leave the page...

Please?? :smile:
How about a link?
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Very kind of you, Mike! Ty!

:smile: