Swami Tadatmananda

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Spiny Norman

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Spiny Norman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am Unfortunately, he repeats the common misconception: "Buddha taught that individual person is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: body, sensations, emotions, thoughts and consciousness" (8:40-8:54 in the video).

The Buddha never taught anything like that.
Wasn't his point that Buddhism doesn't propose anything "beneath" the experience of aggregates or mind/body, whereas Advaita does?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 pm Good video on Infinity Consciousness.
In your opinion how this differs from Buddhist Infinity Consciousness?

Is there anything like "infinity consciousness" in Buddhism?
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am Unfortunately, he repeats the common misconception: "Buddha taught that individual person is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: body, sensations, emotions, thoughts and consciousness" (8:40-8:54 in the video).

Wasn't his point that Buddhism doesn't propose anything "beneath" the experience of aggregates or mind/body, whereas Advaita does?
Whatever his point, he misrepresents the Buddha, repeating a common misconception.

The Buddha in his Dhamma proposes the way beyond.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Whatever his point, he misrepresents the Buddha, repeating a common misconception.

Could you spell out the misconception? How could he have made the point more clearly?
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Could you spell out the misconception? How could he have made the point more clearly?
Well, I have quoted the misconception. He is confusing the conventional actuality with the actuality in the highest sense. This inevitably leads to contradictions.

This is like saying: "USA is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: President, Congress, Court, territory and population".

Ven. Nyanatiloka wrote about this misconception:
These 5 groups, however, neither singly nor collectively constitute any self-dependent real ego-entity, or personality (attā), nor is there to be found any such entity apart from them. Hence the belief in such an ego-entity or personality, as real in the ultimate sense, proves a mere illusion.

"When all constituent parts are there,
The designation 'cart' is used;
Just so, where the five groups exist,
Of 'living being' do we speak." (S. V. 10).

The fact ought to be emphasized here that these 5 groups, correctly speaking, merely form an abstract classification by the Buddha
http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/g_m/khandha.htm
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Well, I have quoted the misconception. He is confusing the conventional actuality with the actuality in the highest sense. This inevitably leads to contradictions.

This is like saying: "USA is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: President, Congress, Court, territory and population".

These 5 groups, however, neither singly nor collectively constitute any self-dependent real ego-entity, or personality (attā), nor is there to be found any such entity apart from them. Hence the belief in such an ego-entity or personality, as real in the ultimate sense, proves a mere illusion.

The fact ought to be emphasized here that these 5 groups, correctly speaking, merely form an abstract classification by the Buddha
OK. I assumed he was talking conventionally in the video. And he did make the point about identification being the cause of suffering in both traditions - in the suttas its assuming the aggregates to be "me" and "mine".
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:35 pm And he did make the point about identification being the cause of suffering in both traditions - in the suttas its assuming the aggregates to be "me" and "mine".
Assuming "that individual person is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: body, sensations, emotions, thoughts and consciousness" would be a sure cause of suffering.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm

that swami is using language to define everything so its natural
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Isn't that the sixth Jhana or the second Arupavacara Jhana?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Isn't that the sixth Jhana or the second Arupavacara Jhana?
Sort of, though in the third arupajhana you have to contemplate the disappearance of infinite consciousness, and nothingness.
Spoilsports! Like: "Here's an amazing view, but you can't look at it any longer." :tongue: