Swami Tadatmananda

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Spiny Norman
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Spiny Norman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am Unfortunately, he repeats the common misconception: "Buddha taught that individual person is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: body, sensations, emotions, thoughts and consciousness" (8:40-8:54 in the video).

The Buddha never taught anything like that.
Wasn't his point that Buddhism doesn't propose anything "beneath" the experience of aggregates or mind/body, whereas Advaita does?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 pm Good video on Infinity Consciousness.
In your opinion how this differs from Buddhist Infinity Consciousness?

Is there anything like "infinity consciousness" in Buddhism?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
User avatar
Assaji
Posts: 1750
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Assaji »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am Unfortunately, he repeats the common misconception: "Buddha taught that individual person is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: body, sensations, emotions, thoughts and consciousness" (8:40-8:54 in the video).

The Buddha never taught anything like that.
Wasn't his point that Buddhism doesn't propose anything "beneath" the experience of aggregates or mind/body, whereas Advaita does?
Whatever his point, he misrepresents the Buddha, repeating a common misconception.

The Buddha in his Dhamma proposes the way beyond.
Spiny Norman
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Spiny Norman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am Unfortunately, he repeats the common misconception: "Buddha taught that individual person is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: body, sensations, emotions, thoughts and consciousness" (8:40-8:54 in the video).

The Buddha never taught anything like that.
Wasn't his point that Buddhism doesn't propose anything "beneath" the experience of aggregates or mind/body, whereas Advaita does?
Whatever his point, he misrepresents the Buddha, repeating a common misconception.

The Buddha in his Dhamma proposes the way beyond.
Could you spell out the misconception? How could he have made the point more clearly?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
User avatar
Assaji
Posts: 1750
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Assaji »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm

Wasn't his point that Buddhism doesn't propose anything "beneath" the experience of aggregates or mind/body, whereas Advaita does?
Whatever his point, he misrepresents the Buddha, repeating a common misconception.

The Buddha in his Dhamma proposes the way beyond.
Could you spell out the misconception? How could he have made the point more clearly?
Well, I have quoted the misconception. He is confusing the conventional actuality with the actuality in the highest sense. This inevitably leads to contradictions.

This is like saying: "USA is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: President, Congress, Court, territory and population".

Ven. Nyanatiloka wrote about this misconception:
These 5 groups, however, neither singly nor collectively constitute any self-dependent real ego-entity, or personality (attā), nor is there to be found any such entity apart from them. Hence the belief in such an ego-entity or personality, as real in the ultimate sense, proves a mere illusion.

"When all constituent parts are there,
The designation 'cart' is used;
Just so, where the five groups exist,
Of 'living being' do we speak." (S. V. 10).

The fact ought to be emphasized here that these 5 groups, correctly speaking, merely form an abstract classification by the Buddha
http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/g_m/khandha.htm
Spiny Norman
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Spiny Norman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Whatever his point, he misrepresents the Buddha, repeating a common misconception.

The Buddha in his Dhamma proposes the way beyond.
Could you spell out the misconception? How could he have made the point more clearly?
Well, I have quoted the misconception. He is confusing the conventional actuality with the actuality in the highest sense. This inevitably leads to contradictions.

This is like saying: "USA is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: President, Congress, Court, territory and population".

Ven. Nyanatiloka wrote about this misconception:
These 5 groups, however, neither singly nor collectively constitute any self-dependent real ego-entity, or personality (attā), nor is there to be found any such entity apart from them. Hence the belief in such an ego-entity or personality, as real in the ultimate sense, proves a mere illusion.

"When all constituent parts are there,
The designation 'cart' is used;
Just so, where the five groups exist,
Of 'living being' do we speak." (S. V. 10).

The fact ought to be emphasized here that these 5 groups, correctly speaking, merely form an abstract classification by the Buddha
http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/g_m/khandha.htm
OK. I assumed he was talking conventionally in the video. And he did make the point about identification being the cause of suffering in both traditions - in the suttas its assuming the aggregates to be "me" and "mine".
Buddha save me from new-agers!
User avatar
Assaji
Posts: 1750
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Assaji »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:35 pm And he did make the point about identification being the cause of suffering in both traditions - in the suttas its assuming the aggregates to be "me" and "mine".
Assuming "that individual person is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: body, sensations, emotions, thoughts and consciousness" would be a sure cause of suffering.
User avatar
confusedlayman
Posts: 3654
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am
Location: Human Realm (as of now)

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by confusedlayman »

Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Assaji wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Whatever his point, he misrepresents the Buddha, repeating a common misconception.

The Buddha in his Dhamma proposes the way beyond.
Could you spell out the misconception? How could he have made the point more clearly?
Well, I have quoted the misconception. He is confusing the conventional actuality with the actuality in the highest sense. This inevitably leads to contradictions.

This is like saying: "USA is nothing more than an aggregate of five factors: President, Congress, Court, territory and population".

Ven. Nyanatiloka wrote about this misconception:
These 5 groups, however, neither singly nor collectively constitute any self-dependent real ego-entity, or personality (attā), nor is there to be found any such entity apart from them. Hence the belief in such an ego-entity or personality, as real in the ultimate sense, proves a mere illusion.

"When all constituent parts are there,
The designation 'cart' is used;
Just so, where the five groups exist,
Of 'living being' do we speak." (S. V. 10).

The fact ought to be emphasized here that these 5 groups, correctly speaking, merely form an abstract classification by the Buddha
http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/g_m/khandha.htm
that swami is using language to define everything so its natural
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW
Posts: 14747
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by SarathW »

Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:44 pm
SarathW wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 pm Good video on Infinity Consciousness.
In your opinion how this differs from Buddhist Infinity Consciousness?

Is there anything like "infinity consciousness" in Buddhism?
Isn't that the sixth Jhana or the second Arupavacara Jhana?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman
Posts: 7684
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Andromeda looks nice

Re: Swami Tadatmananda

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:44 pm
SarathW wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:19 pm Good video on Infinity Consciousness.
In your opinion how this differs from Buddhist Infinity Consciousness?

Is there anything like "infinity consciousness" in Buddhism?
Isn't that the sixth Jhana or the second Arupavacara Jhana?
Sort of, though in the third arupajhana you have to contemplate the disappearance of infinite consciousness, and nothingness.
Spoilsports! Like: "Here's an amazing view, but you can't look at it any longer." :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Post Reply