Buddhist Texts with Empowerments and Transmissions

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
4GreatHeavenlyKings

Buddhist Texts with Empowerments and Transmissions

Post by 4GreatHeavenlyKings »

Does anyone know about the origin of this pair of closely related ideas and whether they were applied to Theravada Buddhism? I have read that the Abhidhamma Pitaka traditionally was kept secret in a way similar to tantric texts (which definitely are passed with Empowerments and Transmissions), but any further confirmation of this claim would interest me.
Ontheway

Re: Buddhist Texts with Empowerments and Transmissions

Post by Ontheway »

Abhidhamma Pitaka did not concealed away like what Mahayana did.

Abhidhamma was preserved in the form of Matika first. Then it was compiled thorughout the three councils and finally become 7 books.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
josaphatbarlaam

Post by josaphatbarlaam »

4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:14 am I have read that the Abhidhamma Pitaka traditionally was kept secret in a way similar to tantric texts (which definitely are passed with Empowerments and Transmissions), but any further confirmation of this claim would interest me.
You mean the story that it was hidden undersea by nagas....that seems a little different.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

:rofl:
Nagas hid the Abhidhamma. Too good.

No. You mean the story that the Buddha taught the Abhidhamma to the gods and let Ven Sāriputta in on the recitation, forwarding the information to him. There is a medieval Chinese myth that Venerable Nāgārjuna visited an underwater Nāga city where they had preserved the Prajñāpāramitā. It doesn't appear in any sūtras.

I wish you better luck next time in your sectarian fault-finding and more accuracy in your recounting of medieval folk tales.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
josaphatbarlaam

Post by josaphatbarlaam »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:31 am :rofl:

No. You mean the story that the Buddha taught the Abhidhamma to the gods and let Ven Sāriputta in on the recitation, forwarding the information to him. There is a medieval Chinese myth that Venerable Nāgārjuna visited an underwater Nāga city where they had preserved the Prajñāpāramitā. It doesn't appear in any sūtras.

I wish you better luck next time in your sectarian fault-finding and more accuracy in your recounting of medieval folk tales.
Unlike the Lotus Sutra that keeps Sariputra around to make fun of him, in Theravada Sariputta died a few months before Buddha, so how could him knowing the Abhidhamma help its transmission at all?
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

To answer your question, it may be worth reviewing the multiple places in the Pali canon where the Buddha criticized teachers to taught "secret" teachings, magical empowements, elitist dhammas, etc. The Buddhas genius was that he was not duplicitous in his teachings, and did't instruct with a closed fist.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

josaphatbarlaam wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:33 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:31 am :rofl:

Unlike the Lotus Sutra that keeps Sariputra around to make fun of him, in Theravada Sariputta died a few months before Buddha, so how could him knowing the Abhidhamma help its transmission at all?
I need a facepalm emoji.

You mean the Vimalakīrtinirdeśa. Ven Śāriputra gets celestial flowers blown at him by a goddess and they stick to his robe. Ven Śāriputra knocks at Vimalakīrti's house and the layman pretends that no one is home.

Where, oh where, in the LS is Ven Śāriputra treated so?
What is the Uncreated?
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Also, you haven't read the Parinibbānasutta. Ven Śāriputra makes an anomalous surprise return.
What is the Uncreated?